Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Rattle

Phoenix9987

Hello all

Need some help as I am at my wit's end.

Noise only starts after I've been driving for about 15-20 min. It only happens when accelarating or releasing the accelarator pedal. noise stops completely otherwise.

Loud(and get's louder as i drive) rattling/ pinging noise from the centre console of my 2014 ecoboost titanium fiesta only whilst accelarating in all gears.

Sounds like something is loose and vibrating against something else.

Can anyone help/give advice on what it could be?

About to go into to the dealer for the third time and they can't find the problem.

Please guys this noise is driving me batty :(

• Like 1

Sounds like a similar problem to what I have, especially the fact that it only happens after driving for 15-20 mins. The only difference is that mine is most noticeable when driving slowly and taking the clutch in / out, and also bumpy roads can cause it. It sometimes sounds more like a creaking sound than a rattle.

I took it to the dealer yesterday but it wasn't really making the noise, probably because I didn't drive for long enough beforehand. I'll be going back there for new tyres in a couple of weeks so I'll get them to have another look then.

I have the same problem. everytime I take it to the dealer they cannot replicate the noise.

• Like 1

I'll try and find some footage from my dashcam which shows the problem clearly, if it picks up the sound.

It could be that, although you'd think Ford would have fixed that problem on newer cars if it was known about 3 yeras ago. I might print out that guide and give it to the dealer next time I take the car in, let them do all the work ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update on this, had the car in at the dealer to look at this problem for a third time and they still couldn't fix it. It was a different mechanic this time and straight away he suspected the clutch pedal, so they took some clutch components apart and lubricated them.

This didn't make any difference to the noise, and just made the clutch feel different and introduced a funny smell into the car haha. They recommended that I try a main dealer with a master technician next, because they would have equipment to find exactly where the noise is coming from. At least I haven't been charged for the work they've done so they have been fair about it, even though they said it wouldn't be a warranty item.

So I've got the car booked in at Benfield in Leeds for next week so will see what they make of it. Also I've been in touch with Ford customer service via email and they have been quite helpful so far, getting in touch with the dealer and keeping track of how the repairs are going.

I tried to get some footage from my dashcam that would show the noise but its microphone struggles to pick it up, so I might try it with my phone next just so I can see if anyone has the exact same problem.

Had about the same experience. Took it back to the dealer for the 3rd time with the problem and no resolution. kind of just resigned to it staying now. sigh

• Like 1

I had a rattling noise too. . . I took it to the dealer and they found there were loose cables in there. Mine was behind the right driver side vent though.

Had about the same experience. Took it back to the dealer for the 3rd time with the problem and no resolution. kind of just resigned to it staying now. sigh

Yeah at one point I thought I'd just leave it but it has got worse, and is very distracting especially after a long drive. If it doesn't get fixed next week I'm going to keep complaining to Ford until it gets sorted, because it's ruining the experience of driving the car for me.

I had a rattling noise too. . . I took it to the dealer and they found there were loose cables in there. Mine was behind the right driver side vent though.

With mine it's more like a metallic creaking sound, and it takes a good 40 minutes of driving before it is really noticeable. So it's probably not just cables or trim rattling. Another time they looked at it they said it could be something to do with the exhaust, which would make sense if that takes a long time to get very hot. Then maybe something around it starts creaking due to expanding from the heat.

Edit: I was just talking to my dad about this and he made a good point about the engine moving around depending on whether you're on the power or not. The mechanic said the exhaust has a flexible part and obviously it moves around a lot too, so I bet that's the cause of the problem (hopefully).

I get you, and it is incredibly annoying for me as well.I just don't have the time or energy to keep taking it back to the dealer with no results. Suffice to say this experience is making me never want to buy Ford again.

Suffice to say this experience is making me never want to buy Ford again.

I have to say it's putting me off as well, however awesome the car may be otherwise. I just know it will be worth all those visits to the dealer if it finally gets sorted and I can enjoy just driving the car like I used to.

Body Flex

Do you mean the flexing of the body panels like one of the wings, or part of the chassis? It sounds like it's coming from behind the dashboard somewhere.

Same problem here, though mine happens whether the car is hot or cold. I was originally convinced it had something to do with the clutch pedal as the creak changes pitch as I move it, but it only happens when the engine is running and in gear. The switch behind the pedal that tells the car if it's pressed or not also creaks a little bit but that's unrelated lol. As said above though, it also happens when accelerating and lifting off which sort of rules out being the pedal itself. I mentioned it to the dealer at it's first service last year but they didn't find anything (apparently they greased the pedal just in case though).

Edit: found a post I made about it a while back: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/62971-creak-from-footwell

• Like 1

Do you mean the flexing of the body panels like one of the wings, or part of the chassis? It sounds like it's coming from behind the dashboard somewhere.

In your case it will most likely be body flex between the bulkhead and the A pillar I have just had a car in for near enough the same issue but from the seatbelt mounting bracket on the B pillar and it has had everything greased, replaced and still the problem availed so it was put down to body flex and we put more sound detoning material in the space between the b pillar and the cabin to reduce the noise and these little sounds cannot be fixed only muffled out

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

^ Was that a creaking noise that happens all the time or only after the car has fully warmed up as in my case?

all the time but got worse when the chassis had warmed up

^ Mine doesn't do it at all until I've been driving for at least 20 minutes, but you could still be right about the cause. Hopefully I'll find out on Wednesday when I take it to Benfield.

See if my suspicions are correct bud

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Another update, I think it's finally fixed :D

They said it was the gear linkage cables if I remember correctly. They had the master mechanic investigating it with audio equipment to find exactly where the sound was coming from, and he repositioned something to do with the gear cables and lubricated them, also fixed a couple of other rattles while he was at it.

They only charged me £10 which was something to do with the insurance on the courtesy car, so overall a very good service. I took the ST for a spin on some local country roads to celebrate it being fixed haha, and haven't heard that horrible creaking noise. So (touch wood) that noise won't be bothering me any more.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who has a similar problem.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club