Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St + Mp215 + What Else?

WXC79

Let us know how it sounds now with it installed, the clips was a pain as I had a puma speed dump valve fitted! But now have something different!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Symposer Delete installed... Was a little tricky when initially undoing the hose clip, but after that the job was a doddle.

I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer to get booked in and have one fitted, don't fancy doing it myself. Is it just a plug that is attached and does something else come off? I need to know if I need to ask them to keep an original part in case I need to put it back to standard.

What are your first impressions on how it affects the sound?

It's essentially a 'bung' which you use an Allen key to attach two threaded stoppers to. Having the charge pipe upgrade meant it was a slightly easier job. You have to remove the symposer hose (just pulls off), then undo the jubilee clip on the lower hose to remove the symposer itself. Once that clip is loose you can just pull the symposer out of its rubber mount. Then it's just a case of installing the delete 'bung' into the hose, helps if you lubricate it with some Vaseline, then tighten up the jubilee clip and it's done. I also cable-tied the symposer hose to a nearby hose to stop any unwanted movement. On first impressions regarding the sound, it's much 'cleaner' sounding in the cabin, and the cabin-boom is virtually non-existent. You can hear the exhaust note and induction/turbo sounds more clearly. I do think that you miss a bit of the additional growl the symposer adds, but you lose a lot of the drone. I'm going to keep it installed for a week and see how I feel about it. It's an easy swap back if need be, the only fiddly part is the jubilee hose clip.

• Like 1

I'm considering the delete, it wouldn't be too bad if there wasn't much sound at cruising but it gets a bit obtrusive as it is.

Well, the delete certainly reduces the sound when cruising, it's much more sedate with it installed. I can't say I'm 100% certain that I will keep it installed, time will tell.

• Like 1

Noticed the symposer delete is out of stock now. I called the dealer and they are going to order one, but I bet it'll be after new year before I get it now.

I was going to order one too! Mrs ordered me the quick shift though

Im not sold on the delete just yet, although I haven't done enough miles to let the difference in sound settle in. I'm doing a long motorway based journey tomorrow, so will report back;)

• Like 2

(I have the ST MP215 with the Mountune Cat Back, Alloy Intercooler & Charge Pipe Upgrade + the High Flow Induction hose.)

So, after a few hundred miles of driving with the Symposer Delete installed, on varying roads/conditions, these are my impressions...

First off, it makes for a quieter cabin. You lose the clash and cabin boom of Symposer & exhaust sound sharing frequencies. With windows up it makes for a much more sedate drive. Cruising is less noisy and up until about 5th or 6th gear and around the 3000+ rpm level you don't get any real 'growl' or 'drone'. It lacks a little noise in the lower gears, the symposed growl has gone and been replaced with a much calmer, and some might say, natural sound. I can hear the exhaust note and the turbo a little more, but not really much more than with the Symposer installed. It's only when you have the windows down that you really get to hear the exhaust and turbo/induction sounds much more clearly, a more defined sound. With the Symposer and the windows down, the sound feeding into the cabin would often over-ride the true exhaust note, this has gone, and what you get is a very pure and very nice sound. I can hear the 'brightness' of the exhaust when accelerating, and the lower burbles and growls when cruising and accelerating from a high gear. In and around town it sounds really great, but then it did before with the Symposer!

A lot has been said about the Symposer, it's really down to personal preference. I disagree with the idea that it is a 'fake' sound, essentially it's just an amplification of what's already there.

All in all, I think I miss it. It gives the ST a little more sense of fun and excitement, especially in the lower gears. If you can take the 'clash' of sounds and cabin-boom with the Symposer installed then i would suggest keeping it. It's worth getting and installing just to see how you feel about it, as it's inexpensive & a simple install, and easy to put the Symposer back if you want.

I haven't reinstalled it just yet. I want to give it a little more time, as my ears are very much still tuned-in to how it sounded with the Symposer. I'm expecting to hear sounds that are no longer there! I'm also waiting for a time when there's no extra noise thanks to the weather conditions. So far I haven't been able to have a proper dry run. Doesn't look like I will for a while!

• Like 3

^ Thanks for sharing your opinion Chris, I'll think more carefully about it before getting mine done. It'll probably be after new year now anyway, so I have a while to think about it. Maybe if I was confident enough to fit it myself I would, but it would have to be done at a dealer which means it's more hassle and cost if I decide I don't like it.

Thanks for the great description on it very helpful.

I think it's probably worth just giving it ago just to see what it's like as its £30 pound and I'm sure someone would pay you £25 for it if you was to change your mind.

Just got to wait for them to come back in stock now!

• Like 1

Having seen the symposer, does anyone know if you can just take the hose going into the cabin off? After all the symposer is a sealed unit?

^ You can just take the hose off, but I imagine you would still need to 'plug' the Symposer with something. Perhaps worth a try...

Here's a conundrum regarding the Symposer Delete...

I was able to get a 'dry run' today, well, almost dry, the roads were damp, but no rain. Therefore, I was able to have the windows down for an extended period.

I now prefer the sound of the car with the Symposer Delete installed and driving with windows down, but, I prefer the sound with the Symposer when the windows are up!

I'm going to leave the Delete installed till the new year, swap it back for a week and see how I feel about it;)

• Like 2

^ That's a good way of looking at it, and I definitely have my windows up the vast majority of time even in summer, so I think I might keep my symposer for a while at least.

• 5 weeks later...

So, after having the Symposer Delete installed for about a month I have decided that I won't be reinstalling the Symposer.

I love how the car sounds now, for the primary reason, I can hear the exhaust more...

I would say, if you have the Mountune Cat Back Exhaust installed, then you should get the Symposer Delete.

I expected that i would grow to like how the Delete makes the car sound. It was just the case of allowing my ears to forget about how the ST sounded with the Symposer.

I have been noticing a lot more low-end burbles and even with the windows up there's still enough growl to keep you excited;)

• Like 1

^ Good to hear, that makes me want to try it out myself. Although I'm quite happy with how the car sounds now, it only gets excessively loud under hard acceleration. And no knocking from the exhaust lol, well I've heard it knock twice since last time they fixed it, compared to several times a day as it was before.

• 3 months later...

So... I've just installed some ClimAir Wind Deflectors, dead easy to install, here's some pics... I'm hoping they will reduce the air turbulence a little when the windows are fully down, also should help with keeping drizzle and other such weather out of the cabin. I've also just had the tyres changed/upgraded from the stock Bridgestone Potenza, to the Continental ContiSportContact 5 (bought 'fully-fitted' at a local garage for a right bargain from blackcircles.com). Not had a proper chance to chuck it around yet, but you can't beat that new tyre feeling;) After almost 14,000 miles, my Potenza fronts were quite worn, also some tracking issues due to the stupid amount of potholes round here. Getting the new tyres fitted and having it balanced and tracked has made a big difference. The steering is nice and light again!

I'm about to take the ST in for its first service, after which, (when everything is in stock) I will be paying a visit to Mountune HQ and getting the MR230 upgrade, along with the Sports Springs, Billet Quick Shift, Roll Restrictor, Coolant Hose Upgrade and a nice set of the White Turbomac alloys. (My first car was a MarkII Fiesta, orangey-red, with white wheel trims, so it's in homage;) Essentially I'm going 'all-in';) An expensive and very long trip for me, but well worth it, I hope... I will report back after having the work done and let you know how the ST feels with all the new mods.

large.IMG_0224.jpg.377cd7492abb2743829f8

large.IMG_0223.jpg.be69b33a971bb36ef24b7

large.IMG_0220.jpg.645318a67ca46c37005ff

• Like 1

Sounds like some good (and expensive) plans you have there :smile:. I'm still not planning anything else, happy with the car as it is now. Will you be at Ford Fair to show off your new upgrades?

I tried wind deflectors but the clips damaged the trim around the top of the windows, and I've noticed that on lots of other Fiestas, so it's something to watch out for. I don't think I'll ever get any wind deflectors again, unless they are designed specifically to not damage or scratch the windows.

• Like 1

I must admit I had some reservations about fitting the wind deflectors due to reports of them scratching the windows and affecting the rubber. I may not keep them in for long, but for now I'll see how it goes;)

• Like 1

To help stop scratches you can add some self adhesive felt strips to the lip that would come into contact with the windows.

ive got most of the mods you are going for, the springs, roll restrictor and short shift are well worth it and make a big difference to driving it.

My son just got the short shifter and it makes a real difference especially gears 2 and 4

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought Id ask here rather than starting my own thread :smile:    Im wanting the MP215, cat back, springs and induction hose. Cant afford to get all straight away, plus my girlfriend would kick off if i went for them all, what would people recommend going for the mp215 then waiting and get the rest,   or get the exhaust and springs then get the 215 last ?

Get the 215 upgrade and don't even bother with the rest use the money on extra petrol you're going to need lots more cause you'll be driving all the time

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

• Like 1

I'd too say the mp215 first but you won't be disappointed if you got the other bits first either.

have you had quotes yet? 

Stoneacre ford in York fit the MP215 for £599, catback for £500 fitted,  springs for £250 fitted, Roll restrictor £160 fitted, short shift £150 fitted usually have most parts in stock.