Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci P0202 Injector Open Circuit

j22csh

Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec S - 33,000 miles.

Hi All,

Issue 1 - While driving on the motorway the car will have intermittent hesitations when accelerating. This will usually happen then naturally allowing the car to decrease speed by taking your foot off the accelerator then applying it again. This can also happen when just cruising in 5th.

Issue 2 - This cannot be replicated however randomly you can get a violent jolt forward with the error displayed on the dash "Engine Malfunction". The car will go into limp mode then when you pull over turn the ignition off, wait a minute and start again will be cleared and free to drive normally again.

My Forscan was showing P0202 - Injector 2 open circuit...I also viewed the live data and the cylinder performance was inconsistent.....

My Dad is in the trade and checked wiring continuity where possible and all the connections to the Injectors, no apparent issues. Cable tied connections in the normal places..

We inspected the Injectors to notice that they were the 'faulty Siemens batch ending '3'....

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/62816-ford-injector-issues-18-tdci-ford-wont-tell-you-about-them-must-read/

After reading various replies on this post I plumped for 4 new injectors $$$$£££££££££, sure that this would cure the issue.

All 4 injectors changed, BANG still the same, if not more prominent! GRRRRR Recently P0202, we have also done the following...

EGR Valve - blanked off.

New Cam Sensor

New Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

New Fuel Filter

PCM reset

The problem is driving us round the twist, we're beginning to think it's wiring loom or PCM related issue, but don't want to throw more money at it if not sure.

Can anyone please help? Has anyone solved a similar issue?

Hoping for a response

Chris

if you have Forscan try the option to reset the Knock sensor learned values.

Thanks Nexus, I ordered the forscan stuff at weekend. Is this straight forward? We thought resetting the PCM might do this?

Continuity isn't good enough for injector wiring tests. For example you will read continuity if there is just one strand of cable left - but it won't take anywhere near enough voltage! You'll also read continuity if its shorting somewhere. An oscilloscope is the ideal tool but I doubt you have one to use lol.

No haha. Just the standard DVOM. Is this something a mobile electrician would be able to perform?

Thanks

Honestly I don't know. I've only ever used one at college about 5 years ago and it was huge! I would assume there are smaller/portable ones available. I don't know what the cost would be for an auto electrician to check though. Your local independent garage may even have one.

Just an update. My dad has replaced the wiring between the PCM, harness and injector 2. The intermittent miss is still evident. So far though No 'engine malfunction'......not holding too much hope though. Here is hoping the resetting of the knock sensor works.

Knock sensor values reset via Forscan, all seems ok for the moment. Cylinder contribution looks good also.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

j22sch, Sorry to drag up an old thread but how is/was you car after you reset all the knock values (and can you let me know how to do this). I'm having the same issue as you and will be replacing the injector loom and checking all wiring but if resetting knock values also helps I'd like to do that. Also, you mention resetting PCM - is this safe/advisable for a similar problem as you were having? I haven't/wont be changing the actual injectors just trying to isolate the intermittent "open circuit" fault.

• 11 months later...
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM, Wilcox said:

Did this ever get solved? Having similar issues!

hi i have exact same issue has anyone manage to get theres sorted ?? please help

On Thursday, December 08, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Revatron said:

j22sch, Sorry to drag up an old thread but how is/was you car after you reset all the knock values (and can you let me know how to do this). I'm having the same issue as you and will be replacing the injector loom and checking all wiring but if resetting knock values also helps I'd like to do that. Also, you mention resetting PCM - is this safe/advisable for a similar problem as you were having? I haven't/wont be changing the actual injectors just trying to isolate the intermittent "open circuit" fault.

hi i have same issue did you get yours sorted

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2015 at 7:59 PM, j22csh said:

Knock sensor values reset via Forscan, all seems ok for the moment. Cylinder contribution looks good also.

Thanks

Was this the complete solution in the end? How did you get on? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club