Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Throttle Body Cleaning + Maintenance????

sonic113

was cleaning around pipes ect in the engine bay and noticed that my throttle body was pretty dirty inside with black.

Has anybody cleaned these and does it keep the engine running smooth when they are clean? I currently experiencing a slight delay in acceleration and was wondering if a clean of the TB may help keep things running well. also what's the best stuff to use to clean these and keep them in good form.

also is it ok to spray wd40 on the butterfly valve just to keep it freed up? Not that it is sticking or anything but when Im cleaning it I thought it might be a good idea to help it stay freed up.

any advice welcomed.

Thanks

Just an update here fro anyone who is interested with the petrol focus. I removed the throttle body and cleaned all the dirt from both sides and also the throttle plate itself. I used wd40 and petrol and a soft cloth. Just make sure that if you are cleaning the throttle body do no use any sharp metal objects (ie screwdrivers ect) as you don't want to mark it by scraping the dirt of.

I also removed the rubber gasket and cleaned it all up as well. Inside the plastic manifold was also dirty so I just used a damp cloth with petrol and cleaned as far as I could reach with it. I let all dry for about 15 minutes then rebuilt all back up. Also when reconnecting the throttle sensor there is a initialization period/Step when replacing a new throttle body so I followed it just to keep things right even though I was reusing my original one. I have outlined the basic steps below for anyone who may need it.

Steps To Remove

1) Disconnect battery (This will also reset any Memory states)

2) Remove Air Cleaner OutLet Pipe (The one that runs from the air box to the throttle body)

3) Disconnect the TPS (Throttle Body Position Sensor) (small red locking clip pops up then whole plug just pulls of sensor)

4) Remove the 4 Torx screw on the TB and gently lift throttle body of. Under you will see the rubber gaskets which can be removed and cleaned or replaced depending on condition.

Steps to Reinstall

1) Reinstall is a reverse of the above steps just make sure that the rubber gasket is seated properly and hand screw the 4 torx screws a few turns before tightening them up. Tightening torque figures are 10Nm for those who are interested but DON'T over-tighten.

2) when all is replaced the Initialization period is as follows:

DO NOT PRESS THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL DURING THE INITIALIZATION PERIOD.

-Turn the ignition to position II

- Wait for 1 minute to Initialize the throttle body.

- Turn the ignition to the off position.

After that just drive as your normally would and the car should relearn all values. You will also need to reset you clock and date and re input your radio code as the battery was disconnected.

I have notices the car engine is a lot quieter when revving at higher speeds and does not growl as much, and the car pulls a lot better and smoother. It feels totally better and smoother throughout the gear changes. Passengers also have noticed the difference in the feel of the car so I am very happy with that.

Hope this helps for anyone who may have the same issues or questions about throttle body cleaning.

Thanks

:)

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

Good advice just started having a problem with mine so trying to get all the information I can before I carry out the task this has really helped cheers pal

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baggiejames said:

Good advice just started having a problem with mine so trying to get all the information I can before I carry out the task this has really helped cheers pal

Thanks Baggiejames :smile:

• 6 months later...

Should INITIALIZATION be done every time you reset ecu?

The 1.4/1.6 Duratec petrol engine with the SIM28 PCM does not have an initialization procedure. On this type of engine resetting the PCM by either a suitible diagnostic system or by disconnecting the battery is enough. 

The initialization procedure is only applicable to other engine types. The 1.8/2.0 Duratec HE engine for example requires an initialization period of 30 minutes. During this period the engine must run at idle speed (the throttle pedal must be left untouched) and the A/C system and electrical consumers that affect the idle RPM must be switched off. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/08/2017 at 6:51 AM, JW1982 said:

The 1.4/1.6 Duratec petrol engine with the SIM28 PCM does not have an initialization procedure. On this type of engine resetting the PCM by either a suitible diagnostic system or by disconnecting the battery is enough. 

The initialization procedure is only applicable to other engine types. The 1.8/2.0 Duratec HE engine for example requires an initialization period of 30 minutes. During this period the engine must run at idle speed (the throttle pedal must be left untouched) and the A/C system and electrical consumers that affect the idle RPM must be switched off. 

I did not know that wilco I must doublt check what sim pcm version I have  as after a throttle clean I always use that proceaduce as in the workshop manual its states that as a  initialization period for that engine, I had this checked at my local trust ford as well for conforimation but I will double check just to be sure. I guess it cant do any harm doing it anyway can it?

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

Cleaned my TB today. Didn't unplug the battery at all. It had run flat recently....but i digress.

I put the TB back together and turned the ignition to 2, then off, then back to 2. I then turned on the engine and let it idle for a couple of minutes. 

Drove it around for about 10 mins. 

Seemed to be better, but should I disconnect the battery and do the initialization thing? Or will it make no difference?

• 2 years later...

i need to check my TB as few days ago i have noticed that going up this hill i struggled on 2nd gear which before it struggled slightly but not as much.