Photo
- - - - -

My detailing thread...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

So I woke up this morning to lovely sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. Brilliant think I, just the thing I need for a good first detail on the car.

However, this is only part 1 as it's rained on me :angry:

I did however get all the washing phase done. Part 2 will follow if I can get out again today/this evening.

This thread is just to show how I do it. Disclaimer - I am not a professional, and I haven't been full-on detailing for that long. I do however enjoy it and I'm happy with my results. If anyone wants to comment on anything, feel free.

Armed with tea and biscuits, at 9:30am I got cracking.

Here's the gear...

Posted Image

Yes, yes, I know - there's a fair bit of it.

This is how the car greeted me...

Posted Image

First stone chip noted, grrrr.

Posted Image

First things first, started with a citrus prewash on the lower half of the car using I4D's own brand of citrus snow foam. It's not as foamy as their standard snow foam, but it's still good stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This stuff is pretty powerful, so lower half of the car only for now.

Posted Image

Get it right into the arches. This was left to dwell for 5 minutes and then rinsed off.

Next up - the wheels. Wheels sprayed with Bilberry wheel cleaner (love the stuff, acid free - diluted 3:1) agitated with a swissvax style brush and then rinsed. Tyres and arches then sprayed with Meguiars Degreaser (10:1) and rinsed off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Snow foam time - so much fun! I4D's own again - lovely thick suds. Left to dwell for 10 minutes will I got the Megs All Purpose Cleaner (10:1) out and went into the detailed areas with another brush.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't forget the sills, petrol cap and other places dirt collects.

Posted Image

Bucket wash time - Dodo Born to be Mild shampoo using the two bucket method. One bucket is just plain water and is the rinse bucket. Washed using a Megs microfibre wash mitt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

Car was then patted dry using a massive microfibre towel and two smaller Dodo ones.

Posted Image

Glass was dried using a dodo waffle weave towel and spritzed with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar.

Posted Image

That's better already...

Posted Image

I was unsure whether to clay or not with it being a brand new car, but the dealership I used it right to a railway line and fallout was a definite possibility, so I decided to start at least.

Posted Image

Sonus Green clay (cut into 4 pieces) and Dodo Born Slippy lube used.

Posted Image

#4 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

After claying the whole bonnet, all I'd got off was this...

Posted Image

So I decided to save the clay for the next major detail I do.

Car foamed again, and two bucket washed again.

Posted Image

Who said my car couldn't get any whiter eh?

Into the details with the APC and brush again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Getting better all the time...

Posted Image

Megs metal polish used on the sill plates. DON'T use this on the chrome trim if you have a Titanium - that's only chromed plastic.

Posted Image

Shiny...

Posted Image

Wheels then sealed with two coats of poorboys wheel sealant.

Posted Image

And tyres dressed with Megs endurance gel.

Posted Image

That's better...

Posted Image

THEN IT RAINED. Boo. :angry:

#5 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium S

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

OH I am so going to come up to yours with the tea and biscuits and a chair and watch you do all that to mine when it finally arrives

Your car looks all clean and shiney in the first picture but looks 100 times better by the time you had finished with it Dan.

So how often do you go through this whole regime then?

#6 Danzzza

Danzzza

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk6.5 Fiesta Style 1.25 16V

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

Wow, very impressesd, how long did all that take?

My cleaning regime just involves one step - jet wash :P

#7 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Paul and Danzzza - Paul the full works is about every three months. This was supposed to be full protection detail - but if it ever does stop raining I'm going to have to foam the car again before I can apply any protection :angry:

That took from 9:30 to 1ish. Worth it mind.

Danzzza, jetwash is an important part of the wash - it's better than sponges and chamois I suppose!

#8 Sarc

Sarc

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec (Mk7)

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Now that's what I call dedication. It pays off though Dan - looks as though it could be in a car show. :D

Although I'd like to think I'll keep my car clean and shiny forever, I know that things will inevitably slip and it will then just get cleaned 'as and when'. All the rain we've had up here lately doesn't give you much of an incentive to polish your car all that often. But I will try to keep it looking nice ... after all, my last car lasted me for over ten years - it would be great to think that this one will last just as long, (or at least until the Mk8 is developed!)

An excellent and informative post though - quite inspiring.

#9 chrissie2968

chrissie2968

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

So what time shall I pop over to see you do this all over again whith my white Titanium...... ;) xx

#10 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

So what time shall I pop over to see you do this all over again whith my white Titanium...... ;) xx

I've got to take delivery of mine before I can drive up there and get Dan to work his magic - I am sure the petrol 4 times a year will be worth it . . hehehe

#11 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: Vauxhall Corsa
  • Year: 2011

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

I've got to take delivery of mine before I can drive up there and get Dan to work his magic - I am sure the petrol 4 times a year will be worth it . . hehehe

oi! I thought I was cleaning your car!

actually seeing how dan has done his I would want mine cleaned dan-style as well!

come to think of it, I live in the same county as dan, maybe less than an hour away...

DAAAAAN!

#12 greenymk7

greenymk7

Area Rep: Midlands (Detailing Guru)

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec-S TDCI

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Dan i think me and u should have some fun on other peoples cars at the next meet :lol:

Im still waiting to get some more stuff before i start my autumn/winter detail. spending 200 on products wont go down very well :lol:

i wish i had waiting for white now aswell :(

#13 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

oi! I thought I was cleaning your car!

actually seeing how dan has done his I would want mine cleaned dan-style as well!

come to think of it, I live in the same county as dan, maybe less than an hour away...

DAAAAAN!

Oi, I'm first in the queue!!

Dan i think me and u should have some fun on other peoples cars at the next meet :lol:

Im still waiting to get some more stuff before i start my autumn/winter detail. spending 200 on products wont go down very well :lol:

Maybe you should hire out your services - I am sure you would be able to cover the cost of all of your cleaning products and still make a tidy profit (how about 5 an hour cash in hand PLUS the cost of the products used . . . )

#14 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: Vauxhall Corsa
  • Year: 2011

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

fine fine, paul first!

ooo yes a meet, lovely. when paul gets his car we should arrange one!

#15 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

fine fine, paul first!

ooo yes a meet, lovely. when paul gets his car we should arrange one!

I've got a horrible feelingt hat having it once I have got my car could mean it is not going to happen for a long time yet . . . .

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users