Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking From Ford's New 2015 Focus Six Speed Box

MichaelCorbett

It's the rear engine mount. They are very soft and do allow a lot of engine rotation. You can get a stiffer one or a poly bush insert that just slots in. Easy to change and transforms the pull away

8 hours ago, madmole said:

It's the rear engine mount. They are very soft and do allow a lot of engine rotation. You can get a stiffer one or a poly bush insert that just slots in. Easy to change and transforms the pull away

Do you have any links at all for said poly bushes? Also is this for the 1.5?

Just deal with the noise unless you are prepared to replace the gearbox yourself.

I have had my 06 reg Focus for 16 months now, noticed it clunking from gear 1 - 3 or at idle if bringing clutch up fast, apart from that is goes into each gear absolutely faultless so I will leave it as it is .

Hi to all,

I drive a 2.0 tdci Focus Mk3 (2015) on which i've put 10.000 km so far. I experience similar clunking and ocasionally notchy 1,2,3 shfits only when is cold outside (e.g. when pulling off in the mornings). Then, in the rest of the day when the car gets warmed up these symptoms disapear and the car can be driven absolutely fantastic with no other issues at all.

What can be the cause of this ?

checked mine today it is not doing it. It has 9000 miles on the clock. 

It is not something to worry to much. The car drives fine.But when i see the diference in shifting from cold to warm, it makes you wonder....why does it do it.

• 1 month later...

I have a 'nearly new' 1.6 TDCI. I have the same clunk when changing up to 2nd gear. The dealership just seem to accept the situation and can do nothing about it but I'm certainly not happy. Reminds me of my old Series 3 Landrover - not good!  Do we have to accept this or do we have a case to have the car replaced?! I've only had mine for 5 months and it has less than 1,500 miles on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2015 at 9:58 AM, MichaelCorbett said:

I've got the new (2015) Ford Focus with the 1.5 120PS diesel and its mated with Ford's new six speed manual gearbox. I had done less than 3k miles when it started making clunking noises changing in and out of second gear. I put it into the dealer and was told "we can't fix it because our Focus six speed demo car also exhibits that noise". I told them that wasn't satisfactory and to look at it again. Once again they are saying that there's nothing they can do but - because I told them that I'm taking the car on a European driving tour in a few weeks - that they would ask Ford about it.

If my car has the problem and the local garage's Focus also has the problem then I'm pretty sure that other Ford owners will experience this. If you have, please let me know!!

Apart from that, its a lovely car. Handling in particular is superb. Anyone else got one?

Hi I have exactly the same problem on my 1.5 diesel , took it into my local dealers for repair and was told there's nothing wrong with it and it's normal for this car.I found this totally unbelievable and rang Ford customer services to complain and was told exactly the same thing.I have asked that they put it in writing that they think it's "normal" for a nearly new car with only 9000 miles on the clock  to make a "clunking" noise when changing gear and that this will not cause further problems in the future. I await there letter.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, Derek Smith said:

Hi I have exactly the same problem on my 1.5 diesel , took it into my local dealers for repair and was told there's nothing wrong with it and it's normal for this car.I found this totally unbelievable and rang Ford customer services to complain and was told exactly the same thing.I have asked that they put it in writing that they think it's "normal" for a nearly new car with only 9000 miles on the clock  to make a "clunking" noise when changing gear and that this will not cause further problems in the future. I await there letter.

And did you get your letter?  A year on my Focus still clunks about!

Same happens with mine - 1.6 ecboost 182

The clunk is from within the engine bay on mine where the gearbox is located and you can see the rods moving perfectly whilst making the clunk - the same noise could be heard in my Volvo C30 2.0D (essentially a Ford Focus in a Volvo coat). All normal and can only be heard because the cars are so quiet these days. It doesn't sound great on the outside, granted, doesn't exactly shout 'refined' and I got a few looks from people walking by as I cycled the gears.

however, Id rather a healthy mechanical clunk than a horrible grind.

• Like 1

I just came here to make a thread about a slight knocking I am noticing from my car. A lot of what I am experiencing is described in this thread so I thought I'd chime in rather than start a new thread.

My car is a 2012 Mondeo EcoBoost 1.6 Turbo, 6 speed petrol.. it has only done 26k miles it's still as good as new, immaculate condition... I'd expect it to be problem free.

For the most car it drives perfect, gear changing is nice and smooth, the car overall is quiet, but every so often when changing gears, generally at lower speeds, I can hear a slight knock... it is very quite, but now I notice it I can't stop myself listening out for it.

I did get a small warranty from the dealer when I purchased it, however the value is capped so I don't want to waste it on a non-issue... if it's perfectly normal I can definitely live with it.

Any recommendations on things I can check myself? or should I just forget about it?

• 4 weeks later...

hello everybody....i live in Spain and i have  2015 focus 1.6 tdci with the 6 gears box...since tge 1st day i hear the noise when change from 1st to 2nd gear too...i pretty sure that is a tolerance problem with the gbox...the dealer here said "is normal" bla bla...so dissapointed with ford...sorry about my poor english

This is quite normal for the 6 speed manual Ford uses. Mine does it sometimes when I go to second gear. Be it from first or from third. It has a small sound, could be the linkage and it is best heard with the window down. I have done 16000 km with my car and it first started doing the sound when I had 3000. Works well, this is common on many cars. I drove a GTI doing the same on second. I drove an ST doing the same on second.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2015 at 6:30 PM, MichaelCorbett said:

@everyone - thanks for all the replies and the interest. The local dealership phoned and I'll get my car back tomorrow (they've put me in a dinky Ka for now). When I get it back I'll re-appraise everything. Cheers for now!

Well, three years on and still no reappraisal....did you get it fixed back then? Does the car still clunk?

Mine from Feb 2017 does it, too, and so do a lot of cars here in german forums. I got used to it and manage most of the time to avoid it by lifting the clutch a bit slower which is no problem. Mine hast 70000 kms on the clock and no problem as yet. 

• 8 months later...

Mine does exactly the same bought a 2016 1.5 tdci st line with 37k on the clock and clunks from 1-3 gears but seems a common problem just doesn’t seem right to me? 

Mine does the same thing. Bad design I guess..

• 2 months later...

I have this too. Noticeable when in stop start traffic on motorway. 1.5 tdci 120 bhp 6 speed. Estate. 65 plate. It makes the clunk everytime changing gears 1st to 2nd. I believe and check would only happen once. Going to try lower engine mount. 

On 8/6/2015 at 3:43 PM, MichaelCorbett said:

John Titherman from Ford UK phoned me about this fault and I was told that the clunkiness of the Ford Focus 6 speed gearbox is standard - but Ford do not consider it to be a fault! I was so surprised at this that I made John repeat what he'd just said - but that's the official line.

The local dealer can't do anything about it (because Ford UK won't authorise them to do any work) so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse.

Anyone else out there who's experienced this? Specifically I'm talking about the new six speed manual gearbox fitted to the 2015 revamp of the Ford Focus.

Using Forscan you can re-set the TCM "learning" mode.

The transmission adapts to your driving style but it takes a long time.

It's still adapted to the previous driver.

Get it re-set and the clunkiness should settle down.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club