Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Laptops With Wifi Ac

jace1969

Does any know of laptops with Wifi AC built in,only seen the Asus but wanted to look at

Makes like Dell / HP/ Samsung and i bet if any there stupid prices like £700 plus.

Just was having a look about at some.

My ThinkPad has it.

I guess you could always buy a somewhat more 'average' notebook, and upgrade the wireless/network card in it yourself if you wanted to.

• Like 1

My ThinkPad has it.

I guess you could always buy a somewhat more 'average' notebook, and upgrade the wireless/network card in it yourself if you wanted to.

Lol,you give me a desktop p.c and i would do it with my eyes closed as i have done loads in the past.

Laptop,if i tried that it won't work again,few things i can do like RAM and stuff but thats it.

Can't see a lot out there say in currys and places online.

Lol,you give me a desktop p.c and i would do it with my eyes closed as i have done loads in the past.

Laptop,if i tried that it won't work again,few things i can do like RAM and stuff but thats it.

Can't see a lot out there say in currys and places online.

I have completely disassembled numerous laptops before (motherboard, heatsink, chassis - pretty much stripping it to it's bones) - it really is not that hard. There are instruction guides on YouTube.

However, most (not all) laptops have the WiFi card in an easily accessible location, so you won't have to strip it to its bones. Some have their WiFi card located under a 'maintenance hatch' - so its literally as easy as replacing RAM as you said.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised you want to upgrade the Wifi - my 4 year old laptop with wireless "N" can only download at about 30 - 40 Mbps which is barely half the speed of my internet. Would more speed really make a difference though unless you're using your laptop for everything? I prefer to run a network cable to my PC so the Wifi is barely used except for my phone :)

I'm not surprised you want to upgrade the Wifi - my 4 year old laptop with wireless "N" can only download at about 30 - 40 Mbps which is barely half the speed of my internet. Would more speed really make a difference though unless you're using your laptop for everything? I prefer to run a network cable to my PC so the Wifi is barely used except for my phone :)

Your spot on,i have 100mb broardband package

On the cable i get 110mb which is great and i do have a few cables set up.

I get 40ish say 45 max with the built in wifi on my laptop whicn is a 'N'

Sent for a dongle AC just to see what i get,my iPhone 5 gets 85mb so that would do me.

• Like 1

I have a Samsung at the moment and had it for a nice few years (about 6) the s3520 with the i3 chip and great.

Wanted to get a newer one but there are so many now to choose from,what make would you look at.

Samsung (another one )

Dell ( i do like dell range )

H.P

You could go on and on,i would like to keep it around £500 and only use internet / youtube so no gaming at all but want it fast ish for the price.

I also like the ( I ) range as i have the i3 so i5 or i7 ( i wish ) for this price.

• Like 1

I have a samsung at the moment and had it for a nice few years (about 6) the s3520 with the i3 chip and great.

Wanted to get a newer one but there are so many now to choose from,what make would you look at.

Samsung (another one )

Dell ( i do like dell range )

H.P

Youe could go on and on,i would like to keep it £500 and only internet / youtube so no gaming at all but want it fast.

I also like the ( I ) range as i have the i3 so i5 or i7 ( i wish ) for this price.

Asus, Lenovo and Dell are good. HP is 'OK'.

Post up any links/models that you find, and I can take a look at them and give advice if you like.

• Like 1

Post up any links/models that you find, and I can take a look at them and give advice if you like.

Cheers m8 will have a look and see what i find,i have had dell before and still got an old d620 that still keeps going.

See a few of these Lenova but i don't know any history on them as i do with dell.

• Like 1

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-17-f251sa-17-3-laptop-silver-10107486-pdt.html

Here is one but i can't find a lot of places to have a look as i don't trust ebay.

In terms of specs, that one is pretty decent, it should be reasonably quick. I am not sure if you noticed, but it is a 17 inch one? Way too big IMO, with that its more of a desktop replacement, so forget carrying it around much. And HP consumer range of notebooks is a bit low on quality tbh...

However, if you are willing to compromise slightly on RAM and hard-drive space, you can get the Dell in the link below. It's cheaper, and it's still got the same i5 processor has the HP, so it should still be snappy. You can probably upgrade the RAM yourself for cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Integrated-Professional/dp/B00SZ5U89A/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1439150450&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+vostro

Another more 'premium' option is the HP Probook - it's a business range notebook, so build quality should be high.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-ProBook-450-G2-downgrade/dp/B00LIORXX4/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1439150752&sr=1-3&keywords=HP+ProBook+450+g2

One more option:

ThinkPads are generally decent, and the one in the link below is not only customizable (you can add fancy things like fingerprint reader - very useful), but it also contains AC WiFi as standard. I'll check if the other two have it, and let you know.

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e550/

Hope this helps.

Neither of the HP's (the one in the Curry's link), nor the one I posted have 802.11 AC WiFi.

Neither of the HP's (the one in the Curry's link), nor the one I posted have 802.11 AC WiFi.

I wish,i know mate i only read about 1 and that was the asus somewhere.

I wish i could find one but i think they will be way up there in the price.

I can't see any to look at,any links would be great so i can have a look.

If you had to pick 1 or 2 makes what would you look at even if i have to just have a AC dongle.

I wish,i know mate i only read about 1 and that was the asus somewhere.

I wish i could find one but i think they will be way up there in the price.

I can't see any to look at,any links would be great so i can have a look.

If you had to pick 1 or 2 makes what would you look at even if i have to just have a AC dongle.

What do you think about the 3 I linked you to though? The last one even has AC, so you won't need a dongle.

I like the dell for the price,this one aint got the AC has it what i can see.

What spec does the dell have like usb's and stuff as it don't give that.

Cheers for this info but i do like that dell.

Bleedin hell, I accidentally pressed the back button, and my whole post disappeared. Here we go again.

Thing is, at that price point, 802.11 AC WiFi is pretty difficult to find, so you'll probably have to either raise your budget, or make a compromise. You could also purchase used from eBay (some pretty good deals with laptops still in manufacturer warranty), but this isn't for the faint hearted lol.

The Dell has 3 USB ports.

Oh, you can also get the same laptop from here, for cheaper. Never bought off this site, but heard from others that it's legit and safe.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell_Vostro_3549__i5-5200U_2.2GHz__3MB__4GB_1x4GB_1600MHz__500GB_SATA_5.4k__3549-8543/version.asp

• Like 1

I have a samsung at the moment and had it for a nice few years (about 6) the s3520 with the i3 chip and great.

My 4 year old laptop is a Novatech (I hadn't heard of them either before I bought it lol). I've been happy with it, recently upgraded to a 256GB SSD and 8GB ram and it can still just about handle new games on low settings. They're worth a look, I think they're still making new laptops. It has decent build quality and has been very reliable even with lots of gaming.

Yes they are some of the best brands or so I've heard. Especially Asus, they're always my first choice for motherboards and I've heard good things about their laptops and monitors.

The price is not 100%,i can move a bit on that if it's got better spec and stuff.

I did think of Asus because of the boards as when i built them in the tower i had and used

a lot of this make.

I have a Samsung,only cost me £399 on offer about 7 years ago,it's the s3520 with the i3 chip and been good.

I have an HP laptop (now cant remember exact model) but it has the I3 processor but I get 80mb from its WiFi which is plenty my downloads most of them are downloaded at 5.5mb u shud look at HP or dell I'd stay away from Asus to be honest

I have an HP laptop (now cant remember exact model) but it has the I3 processor but I get 80mb from its WiFi which is plenty my downloads most of them are downloaded at 5.5mb u shud look at HP or dell I'd stay away from Asus to be honest

My mate has a HP from Argos a nice while ago on offer for £399 and never had any problems.

I got to say i have always liked Dell but never got the stuff on what i need for the price.

Looks like a trip to look and mess with some at curry's,my Samsung has been very good.

When looking at consumer notebooks, don't worry about brand too much. A lot of it is purely down to luck/statistics rather than quality of the brand. I have had a Lenovo die on me, and an Asus too. My brother's HP hasn't died, but has several quality issues.

On another note,if you are REALLY concerned about reliability, then I will say this:

If you buy a business notebook, rather than a consumer notebook, there is a MUCH greater chance that it will last longer, hence why I posted a couple of links previously to business notebooks. Companies do not like to put up with faults/failures, and have usually huge contracts with HP/Dell/Lenovo to provide laptops for the entire workforce. If a manufacturing flaw or issue occurs across a business notebook model, usually it results in tens of thousands of recalls, and thus the manufacturer loses a tonne of money. The company will also likely move to another manufacturer as a result, and so the manufacturer will lose out on a very lucrative contract.

So as a result, business notebooks generally have noticeably higher build quality than consumer notebooks. Some of then even have longer warranties. For example if you buy a T/W/X series ThinkPad, you often get a 3-year next business day, ONSITE warranty (yes they will come to your home and repair/replace it on the spot). My X240 has this, and even if it breaks (unlikely - ThinkPads are durable), I don't have anything to worry about.

• Like 1

When looking at consumer notebooks, don't worry about brand too much. A lot of it is purely down to luck/statistics rather than quality of the brand. I have had a Lenovo die on me, and an Asus too. My brother's HP hasn't died, but has several quality issues.

On another note,if you are REALLY concerned about reliability, then I will say this:

If you buy a business notebook, rather than a consumer notebook, there is a MUCH greater chance that it will last longer, hence why I posted a couple of links previously to business notebooks. Companies do not like to put up with faults/failures, and have usually huge contracts with HP/Dell/Lenovo to provide laptops for the entire workforce. If a manufacturing flaw or issue occurs across a business notebook model, usually it results in tens of thousands of recalls, and thus the manufacturer loses a tonne of money. The company will also likely move to another manufacturer as a result, and so the manufacturer will lose out on a very lucrative contract.

So as a result, business notebooks generally have noticeably higher build quality than consumer notebooks. Some of then even have longer warranties. For example if you buy a T/W/X series ThinkPad, you often get a 3-year next business day, ONSITE warranty (yes they will come to your home and repair/replace it on the spot). My X240 has this, and even if it breaks (unlikely - ThinkPads are durable), I don't have anything to worry about.

Your advice is great and a very good read,there don't seem to be a lot of shops where you can go into

these days so i go and look in curry's as its a big store and local.

I was into computers in a big way and always went to the computer fairs to get stuff but not anymore.

Things change so just wanted a new laptop to take place of my old Samsung but this make has gone from a lot

of shops.

I will let you know when i have a look and get model number etc or if i spot one online,Ebay is a bit risky i think.

• 1 month later...

Ok still looking around for a good deal.

Seem to be a lot pop up in currys but what you think,need to go into store

for the instore deals.

A good few on there site with the AC now but i would still like a i5 as i have the I3 chip

and at least a 15.6 screen or around that.

Want it from a shop if possable as then i can go back

This is the currys page below

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/windows-laptops/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_xx_ba00010671-bv00308565-ba00010646-bv00308515/xx_xx_xx_xx_4-6-7-8-9-10-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-criteria.html

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club