Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gap Insurance

Gezzs

okay, so I'm picking up the new car on 1st Sept and still undecided on this GAP insurance malarky. I'm not going with the (silly) dealer offer, but have been shopping around. 3 years RTI cover up to £17,500 is around £170.

What's people's opinions?

Who are you insured with? My insurance company (hastings) do "new car replacement" which basically means if the car is within a year old and you are the first registered owner they will replace the car exactly as it was in the unfortunate event of a write off.

Aviva, my last insurance company also did this.

• Like 1

Who are you insured with? My insurance company (hastings) do "new car replacement" which basically means if the car is within a year old and you are the first registered owner they will replace the car exactly as it was in the unfortunate event of a write off.

Aviva, my last insurance company also did this.

Ah! I'll check that. My annual insurance expires in Oct so I was just going to swap cars for now then shop around in Oct. I'll definitely look at those companies.

It's worth checking! Saves a bit of money getting the gap insurance.

What are you getting btw? :)

New car's in my sig :)

Mondeo Titanium...sat at the squealers waiting for 1st Sept...D'oh. I thought the wait was bad before it arrived... :)

Ah I'm on the FOC app so can't see signatures lol

Sounds good mate :) know how you feel... just picked up my focus last week which was sat at the dealers for a month. Wasn't by choice though lol

You'll be in it before you know it :)

my wife and daughters cars have GAP insurance from here-

www.ala.co.uk

Ah sorrry Cookie..didnt realise sigs didnt show:

Mondeo Titanium (2015), Deep Impact Blue, 2.0ltr Petrol Auto (240ps)

Options: 19" alloys, X-Pack (Adaptive LED lights, Leather heated memory seats, rear privacy glass), Reverse Camera, Park Assist, Sony DAB/NAV

I was only mildly excited when it was "in the factory" in Spain and could just about cope with the wait. Now it's 5 miles away! I was SO tempted to pick it up early, but the Wife is adamant about a 65-plate. LOL

@Steve - Thanks for that. A mate of mine also recommended ALA. I've just done a quote at Aviva - £216 (bargain!) and I can get £50 cashback from TopCashBack. Only downside is they only offer new for old for the first 12 months. Decisions, decisions...

Yeah that's the only downside. Works for me, since I normally get a new car after 9 months lol

I've also had people recommend ALA so probably the one to go for if your gonna get gap.

Every nine months? Sweet lord that's gotta be expensive motoring with the depreciation.

I used to sell GAP as low as £249 when selling at Fords. Its one of those useless products until your car gets written off!

I used to sell GAP as low as £249 when selling at Fords. Its one of those useless products until your car gets written off!

It's the same with every kind of insurance though. Get it hoping you never need to use it.

Every nine months? Sweet lord that's gotta be expensive motoring with the depreciation.

Not as bad as you'd think actually. Had my last car (fiesta st) for 9 months n when I traded it in was only in £500 negative equity.

Hi,

Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel it can offer a cost effective alternative. If you'd like any further information please feel free to PM me some contact details and I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

I find ALA to be quite expensive - especially considering insurance excess cover is an additional extra, you get this included with a lot of policies.

https://www.directgap.co.uk

https://gapinsurance123.co.uk

After getting quotes from a number of different providers and comparing what you get, these two came out the most cost effective - and seem to be highly rated by customers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is true that many insurers will negate the need for GAP insurance benefits for the first year on new cars as they provide replacement new vehicle. However you can purchase GAP insurance where benefits do not kick in until the second year. I did this with Warranty Direct when I purchased my Fiesta last year. The cost was £157 for 24 months beginning September 2015 and ending September 2017. Like other GAP policies you have to take out the insurance shortly after taking delivery of new vehicle and <500 miles). The policy is a vehicle replacement type.