Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Introduction To Fuse Taps/piggybacks Pic Heavy

stef123

Afternoon all.

I have put together a few pictures and some knowledge to help create a guide to better understand fuse taps and how to use them. After some confusion last week over how it would work I have decided to show exactly how it does. With the ever increasing use of these simple 'add on' circuits its important we know whats going on.

First of all, be sure to check that the fuse tap you are going to use is a suitable rating for the intended use. Remember that fuse taps are only intended for low fuse rating circuits.

Here is a standard blade fuse tap. Looking at it like this, the feed should go to the left hand blade.

IMG_0259_zpsfgh1ewqr.jpg

So lets have a look at how a fuse tap is configured - This will help you understand how to install it.

As we can see here, the 2 terminals on the left of the fuse tap are common to each other (note the low resistance reading). They are also common to the blade on the left hand side.

IMG_0266_zpstkgmxknz.jpg

The 2 terminals on the right are not common to each other - thus providing us with 2 separe output circuits (note the OL reading). The bottom right terminal is common to the right hand blade.

IMG_0267_zpsj2mxbvsp.jpg

The additional circuit uses the top fuse holder and the primary circuit uses the bottom one (closest to the blades).

IMG_0263_zpszduq9xb6.jpg

IMG_0264_zpsjl3likye.jpg

IMG_0262_zpssakqsjma.jpg

IMG_0261_zpsdsvlhjbu.jpg

So lets have a look at how putting the fuses in affects it.

With no fuses in, the 2 blades are isolated from each other.

IMG_0268_zpsuhpaas4n.jpg

With the primary fuse in (red in this example although it should have been yellow), the 2 blades have continuity but the red lead for the secondary output does not.

IMG_0269_zpsdnmjhpe7.jpg

With the secondary fuse added, (yellow in this example although it should have been red), only the left blade and the secondary output have continuity.

IMG_0265_zpsk6yrbzgx.jpg

So with this in mind, the diagram on the left shows how the fuse tap is configured (ignore the 4 dots).

IMG_0279_zpsmzvui94o.jpg

The following pictures show how each fuse affects the circuits, starting the the fuse tap in the correct orientation. (note that in my example, the red wires are positive and the yellow wires are negative).

The basic circuit.

IMG_0271_zps9vnmek9s.jpg

With the primary (yellow) fuse added, the bottom led strip lights up.

IMG_0272_zpsqntuzxgr.jpg

WIth both the primary (yellow) and secondary (red) fuses in place, both led strips light up

IMG_0273_zpsbigef7ph.jpg

From here on is where it changes.

IF the fuse tap is fitted with the correct orientation in the fuse panel (As you look at the fuse tap the left blade is the feed when the secondary output lead is on the right) then removing the primary fuse still allows the secondary circuit to operate. Using this knowledge would allow you to determine if the fuse tap is fitted the correct way round. If you have a meter you could also use that to determine the feed and load in the fuse panel.

My apologies on this, the next few pics are not the easiest to make out due to it being very bright outside.

IMG_0274_zps8byhvkwx.jpg

Now here is how the incorrect orientation affects the circuits.

With both fuses in place, the circuits function as you would expect.

IMG_0277_zps0cfogyu2.jpg

With only the primary fuse in place, the original circuit still functions as it should.

IMG_0276_zpsmzubkezk.jpg

BUT when the primary fuse is removed, the secondary circuit is also removed despite still having a fuse in place. This is due to both circuits feeding through the primary fuse.

IMG_0278_zpsxscocgl8.jpg

The outcome?

This is exactly how a fuse tap is configured. Fitting it the wrong way round simply feeds both circuits through the primary fuse, It doesn't allow any circuit to become live without a fuse. The secondary circuit fuse would be in series to the first so still offering the correct protection.

IMG_0280_zpsbwqpdomj.jpg

• Like 3

To double check, if the orientation of the fuse box is as such (below), the green line is the correct way for the additional tap cable to be pointing?

ijcrzBT.jpg

I honestly cant answer that but if you need to fit a fuse tap it will take you seconds to figure it out.

• 1 year later...

Goddamn Photobucket :angry:

• Like 2

Hmm..I won't be paying $399.99 dollars a year to upgrade my account!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Any chance you could put it all into a PDF file then upload it to the forum?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisPembs said:

Any chance you could put it all into a PDF file then upload it to the forum?

+1 

If you have Microsoft Word; copy&paste the text with images on to a word page,

Then click "File" 

"Save As"

"PDF File"

✔👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2