Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Focal Ps165fx Into Front Doors Of Mk2 5door Titanium (2007)

PhillyFromTheWest

has anyone fitted these Speakers, I'm hoping they will fit in original location, but I think the tweeters maybe too big. Looking at the lower down range, there are some tweeters that seem to fit. I wish I could buy just the ps165fx midrange woofers, and then fit the lower down range tweeters if the fx range ones are too big. Hope someone can help. I'm thinking the easiest way to find out is to get a second hand plastic tweeter housing, and take measurements, but haven't been able to find out tweeter diameter from focal by not using the flush mounting cup, but just got gluing tweeters in place

• Like 1

has anyone fitted these speakers, I'm hoping they will fit in original location, but I think the tweeters maybe too big. Looking at the lower down range, there are some tweeters that seem to fit. I wish I could buy just the ps165fx midrange woofers, and then fit the lower down range tweeters if the fx range ones are too big. Hope someone can help. I'm thinking the easiest way to find out is to get a second hand plastic tweeter housing, and take measurements, but haven't been able to find out tweeter diameter from focal by not using the flush mounting cup, but just got gluing tweeters in place

The grill section of the tweeter housing panel separates from the main plate,

You can then use a rotary tool such as a Dremil or similar item to bore a bigger space within the housing,

Ive fitted JL Audio C3 650 components in my focus front and back,

They have a 1" tweeter which fits no problem, a one inch tweeter is about as big as it gets in car audio in other words you should be fine.

IMG_20150327_210227_zpswlhzdkgm.jpg

IMG_20150327_222913_zpsn5n6ly2k.jpg

• Like 1

When you say the grill housing separates from main plate, do you mean the plastic cup they supply for flush mounting? As focal couldn't give me dimensions of that tweeter on its own, but for the flush mount cup, it says to need a cut out diameter of 50mm which I think maybe too big, and then you'd probably have to add another 3mm in diameter for the 'lip' of the cup? I may start looking at jl audio. And also on amazon hertz seem to do kits for mk2 that include speaker adapters. I was planning on just getting adapters from autoleads, but have read (think the Norwegian guy?) someone fitted infinity perfect components and actually had to put an MDF spacer onto adapter as Speakers sat too far back from door pocket grill? That amazes me as you'd think aftermarket Speakers would have larger depth?

Thanks for the reply matey!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just saw this and thought I could help with some info.

I got a set of Focal 165KR components and the tweeters fit in the hole left by the factory ones. A little bit of glue was needed to secure it in even though it had clips to attach to the inside of the sail panels. As for the actual woofer, I hacked off the stock Speakers and used the surround left over as a mount for the new Focal Speakers. That way, I had no issues with the window catching the speaker.

With either the Focals or JL Audio, you can't really go wrong as they are both excellent Speakers for the money :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the reply, and sorry it took so long to get back.

I'd seen your reply via my normal email, but I couldn't remember exactly how to log in to main forum, but just realised I can log in using Facebook log in.

I was looking st the tweeters that you have and they look similar to the ones that come with the set im after, but I'd imagine, yours will be a better set, can't seem to find any details for your tweeters in terms of size etc, but I feel confident that if your fit,

Mine should too. You set you just had to cut a slightly bigger hole in the ford speaker housing and they fitted straight in. So I think why I was thinking most tweeters seem to big is because, the diameter that seems to be quoted, is if you use the plastic cup housing for flush mounting.

I'm guessing you literally just fitted the tweeter on its own? If so did you use hot glue or anything to keep it tight in the ford tweeter housing? Also if you have any photos, for example where you located the crossovers, I'd love to see them.

And finally (I think!), did you have the focus titanium with the Sony 'premium' Speakers and head unit? Basically I'm wondering how these new Speakers compare, as people really have low opinions of the premium Speakers, and say if you have a lower down model such as the zetec, it's even worse. But my only real problem with the stock speakers, is they can't take an awful lot of bass at high volume. Hat could be the head unit l, and I know it wouldn't take too much to improve. But I'm really trying to not go down route of fitting an amp n sub. The ps165fx that I'm considering, on focals site they really emphasise that it has low bass, but the frequency response only goes down to 75hz, and I've seen clarion set that quotes 25hz! But that's making me wonder if these figures, you can take with pinch of salt.

I did actually work for Clarion car audio about 10 years ago. Started temping, doing quality mods to cassette players, fitting adhesive squares to dampen the metal rattle, gluing volume knobs on Land Rover sets, that would crack in the plastic that slid into metal shaft. Then worked in factory, basically loading all the components such as the mechanism, circuit boards, the fronts etc into trays/boxes and writing the quantities, lot nos and which line it was for. And then they paid for me to do electronic servicing at college, then after 4 years of college, finally an engineering job came up in service dept, I was taken on as a trainee, but when I started I couldn't even solder, so one of first jobs I'd do all day was resolder dry-joints on the removable front panels,

It was nearly always the volume up button and we ended up losing a contract with Mazda cos of it. But then they showed me how to repair the cd changers and helped me with fault finding, and a lot of faults were nearly always same reason, so learnt a lot in one respect, but then after a while, learning anything new became harder, until

an uncommon fault would appear. But I absolutely loved every minute there, even though the money wasn't great. But then they decided to transfer all the warranty exchange repairs to clarion France so got made redundant, and still feel sad at

Times thinking back.

Just realised I've been babbling on like a babbler.

Round mates and they always say how I can really go on lol.

And when they watch films, I start browsing phone and unleash things on the poor unsuspecting public lol.

Err so yes, just wanna say thanks for your reply, and if you ever get bored and fancy a natter, then you've probably already realised, I'm up for it lol. Oh not sure if I asked, what's the bass like in your focals? I mean is it a lot 'more present' than the standard? I know bass should t be everything, but it's obvious I'll get better mid and treble, but do want better bass.

Right sorry, sorry can't sorry!

Phill

• 3 months later...
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 8:08 PM, PhillyFromTheWest said:

Hi thanks for the reply, and sorry it took so long to get back.

I'd seen your reply via my normal email, but I couldn't remember exactly how to log in to main forum, but just realised I can log in using Facebook log in.

I was looking st the tweeters that you have and they look similar to the ones that come with the set im after, but I'd imagine, yours will be a better set, can't seem to find any details for your tweeters in terms of size etc, but I feel confident that if your fit,

Mine should too. You set you just had to cut a slightly bigger hole in the ford speaker housing and they fitted straight in. So I think why I was thinking most tweeters seem to big is because, the diameter that seems to be quoted, is if you use the plastic cup housing for flush mounting.

I'm guessing you literally just fitted the tweeter on its own? If so did you use hot glue or anything to keep it tight in the ford tweeter housing? Also if you have any photos, for example where you located the crossovers, I'd love to see them.

And finally (I think!), did you have the focus titanium with the Sony 'premium' speakers and head unit? Basically I'm wondering how these new speakers compare, as people really have low opinions of the premium speakers, and say if you have a lower down model such as the zetec, it's even worse. But my only real problem with the stock speakers, is they can't take an awful lot of bass at high volume. Hat could be the head unit l, and I know it wouldn't take too much to improve. But I'm really trying to not go down route of fitting an amp n sub. The ps165fx that I'm considering, on focals site they really emphasise that it has low bass, but the frequency response only goes down to 75hz, and I've seen clarion set that quotes 25hz! But that's making me wonder if these figures, you can take with pinch of salt.

I did actually work for Clarion car audio about 10 years ago. Started temping, doing quality mods to cassette players, fitting adhesive squares to dampen the metal rattle, gluing volume knobs on Land Rover sets, that would crack in the plastic that slid into metal shaft. Then worked in factory, basically loading all the components such as the mechanism, circuit boards, the fronts etc into trays/boxes and writing the quantities, lot nos and which line it was for. And then they paid for me to do electronic servicing at college, then after 4 years of college, finally an engineering job came up in service dept, I was taken on as a trainee, but when I started I couldn't even solder, so one of first jobs I'd do all day was resolder dry-joints on the removable front panels,

It was nearly always the volume up button and we ended up losing a contract with Mazda cos of it. But then they showed me how to repair the cd changers and helped me with fault finding, and a lot of faults were nearly always same reason, so learnt a lot in one respect, but then after a while, learning anything new became harder, until

an uncommon fault would appear. But I absolutely loved every minute there, even though the money wasn't great. But then they decided to transfer all the warranty exchange repairs to clarion France so got made redundant, and still feel sad at

Times thinking back.

Just realised I've been babbling on like a babbler.

Round mates and they always say how I can really go on lol.

And when they watch films, I start browsing phone and unleash things on the poor unsuspecting public lol.

Err so yes, just wanna say thanks for your reply, and if you ever get bored and fancy a natter, then you've probably already realised, I'm up for it lol. Oh not sure if I asked, what's the bass like in your focals? I mean is it a lot 'more present' than the standard? I know bass should t be everything, but it's obvious I'll get better mid and treble, but do want better bass.

Right sorry, sorry can't sorry!

Phill

I know the above post wasn't intended or addressed to me but;

Heres a Crossover fitted rear door panel using Velcro 

IMG_20150325_180441_zpsclob3nci.jpg

IMG_20150325_075442_zpsornq6jsl.jpg

IMG_20150221_100437_zpsm7iu6pco.jpg

All ford Speakers are paper mashea there cheap and address the requirements needed to sell the vehicles.
Any Speakers selling for over 80 pounds will be better build quality.

IMG_20150330_124645_zpsnfl4f6ew_edit_142

IMG_20150325_184220_zpsztao0nnk.jpg

Id like to add: 
The standard headunit built in amplifier is not capable of producing sounds at levels below 50hz because this would blow any normal speaker which is incapable of producing the sound. 

So fitting Speakers capable of sounds lower than 50hz is in itself an upgrade; but they won't produce sounds lower than the headunit internal amplifier supplies.

In order to produce sound waves lower than 50hz you will need to purchase an aftermarket amplifier and calibrate the output of Ohms using a multimeter and sounds CD to set correct impedance in order to produce the lower than standard base levels you may desire.

IMG_20150419_183818_zpsdedsxx4j.jpg

IMG_20150418_065924_zpsfdu6g8ou_edit_142

IMG_20150419_175914_zpsw0hngqpp.jpg

IMG_20150419_183454_zpsrc1qcfza.jpg

IMG_20150419_183447_zpsdrz1haf5.jpg

IMG_20150419_182945_zpsv10uxvyu.jpg

IMG_20150419_175430_zpss6piqfsv.jpg

IMG_20150419_174520_zpsv3j3shwb.jpg

Mono Amplifier Calibrated to 4 Ohms Impedance Target Voltage was 28.3V 👌
IMG_20150419_182307_zpsayz9m7md.jpg

When set replace the multimeter with speaker/speakers 👍

IMG_20150419_183526_zpsipbs9b0n.jpg

IMG_20150331_103547_zpsnm86nrxk.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Lenny said:

I know the above post wasn't intended or addressed to me but;

Heres a Crossover fitted rear door panel using Velcro 

IMG_20150325_180441_zpsclob3nci.jpg

IMG_20150325_075442_zpsornq6jsl.jpg

IMG_20150221_100437_zpsm7iu6pco.jpg

All ford speakers are paper mashea there cheap and address the requirements needed to sell the vehicles.
Any speakers selling for over 80 pounds will be better build quality.

IMG_20150330_124645_zpsnfl4f6ew_edit_142

IMG_20150325_184220_zpsztao0nnk.jpg

Id like to add: 
The standard headunit built in amplifier is not capable of producing sounds at levels below 50hz because this would blow any normal speaker which is incapable of producing the sound. 

So fitting speakers capable of sounds lower than 50hz is in itself an upgrade; but they won't produce sounds lower than the headunit internal amplifier supplies.

In order to produce sound waves lower than 50hz you will need to purchase an aftermarket amplifier and calibrate the output of Ohms using a multimeter and sounds CD to set correct impedance in order to produce the lower than standard base levels you may desire.

IMG_20150419_183818_zpsdedsxx4j.jpg

IMG_20150418_065924_zpsfdu6g8ou_edit_142

IMG_20150419_175914_zpsw0hngqpp.jpg

IMG_20150419_183454_zpsrc1qcfza.jpg

IMG_20150419_183447_zpsdrz1haf5.jpg

IMG_20150419_182945_zpsv10uxvyu.jpg

IMG_20150419_175430_zpss6piqfsv.jpg

IMG_20150419_174520_zpsv3j3shwb.jpg

Mono Amplifier Calibrated to 4 Ohms Impedance Target Voltage was 28.3V 👌
IMG_20150419_182307_zpsayz9m7md.jpg

When set replace the multimeter with speaker/speakers 👍

IMG_20150419_183526_zpsipbs9b0n.jpg

IMG_20150331_103547_zpsnm86nrxk.jpg

How did you mount your amp on the right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kc87 said:

How did you mount your amp on the right? 

Hi Kieran, 

Welcome to the forum, 

it's all in my build thread here in the following few pages with plenty of images if interested in sifting through it 

link: 

I got some metal like a coat hanger which I bent to create a template shape, 

I then took the template to a local iron works place that make garden gates and fences, asked them to bend some 1/2" inch wide brackets for me to match that shape, 

I then drilled the brackets to match up with the mounting holes of the amplifier.

had the brackets powder coated black and mounted them to the plastic boot panel using four M6 bolts and large M6x25 "penny washers" to ensure good broad grip inside the plastic panel ensuring it doesn't rip out. 

Four M5 x 25mm Aluminium Allen head bolts Anodised Black, these will be used to grip the mono amp to the brackets

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151211574998

IMG_20150212_111142_zpsyqhwklu2.jpg

Next two items were from "Boltbase" supplied some M5 & M6 Stainless Steel Penny Washers to broaden the grip surface at the rear of the panels.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221061609656

IMG_20150211_090924_zpsgfvvlfyh_edit_142

Next few items were from "KayFast1" supplied me with some A2 Stainless Steel M5 & M6 Nylon thread lock nuts,

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150783000310

IMG_20150213_093931_zps3rptqktp.jpg

IMG_20150213_093920_zpsw3ov2o30.jpg

They also supplied some M6 x 20 A2 Stainless Steel Hex bolts, for use in securing the Mono Amp brackets to the boot panel,

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160804543604

IMG_20150213_093852_zpsjqoe76vq.jpg

They also supplied some black plastic ball head nut caps to cover the ends of the M5 & M6 nuts at rear of the brackets for that OEM finish aswell as avoiding sharp edges.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161276119711

M5 nut caps:

IMG_20150213_093950_zps55donwxc.jpg

M6 nut caps:

IMG_20150210_090706_zpsjy2zordt_edit_142

IMG_20150312_141543_zpsyyypn0cc_edit_142

IMG_20150312_141617_zps1dzyj1vl.jpg

IMG_20150312_141644_zpslrr7zjjn.jpg

however there's some on the way.

IMG_20150322_185859_zpselczvjuz_edit_142

fitted some M5 nut caps to prevent sharp edges in boot area👍

IMG_20150322_185918_zpsyqivl8qn.jpg

IMG_20150322_184904_zpsjemfo3rw.jpg

IMG_20150322_184845_zpseizl5eml.jpg

IMG_20150322_184836_zpslffxeh3e.jpg

IMG_20150323_144831_zpskzd5zv7y.jpg

IMG_20150323_144841_zpsb4w5ov0n.jpg

IMG_20150323_155202_zps4xbfug8b.jpg

Ah so thats how u did it :) im looking at mounting it on that side but remove the boot light and monut it flush straight under with the trim. Do you think thats a good idea?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kc87 said:

Ah so thats how u did it :) im looking at mounting it on that side but remove the boot light and monut it flush straight under with the trim. Do you think thats a good idea?

I started out with exactly the same plan as you there mate,

I wanted to mount mine flush underneath the panel aswell but sadly;  amplifiers generate alot lot of heat and use there aluminium case as a heat sink to cool itself down,

as result; fitting the amplifier upside down or horizontally without atleast 4" inch clearance above.

it's going to heatsoak and cook itself and burn out.

there are different classes of amplifiers too, "Class C" are very common and dont gemerate as much heat comparing to class A or B 

my amplifiers are "Class D" and after using for one hour; I can feel them quite warm indeed.

class B, and C automatically shut off it gotten too hot but class D just lowers volume until cooler but only happened me once 😅 and I was kinda glad because it was Basin 🙉

Mounting at 45 degrees sort of got it the way I wanted aswell as satisfying the needs for clearance above the surface. 

17 minutes ago, Kc87 said:

You may also like to view my guide on custom built removable MDF amp panel: 

• Like 1

Thanks

What if i cut a big hole in the platic trim above the amp do you think that will be enough room to breath? Ha

My over option is to mount it here on the left but havnt worked it out best way to do that yet. 

Iv studied you help guides thanks dont really want to go down the mdf shelf if i can help it iv got 2 kids that love to mess with the seat n behind them haha

20160527_104113.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kc87 said:

Thanks

What if i cut a big hole in the platic trim above the amp do you think that will be enough room to breath? Ha

My over option is to mount it here on the left but havnt worked it out best way to do that yet. 

Iv studied you help guides thanks dont really want to go down the mdf shelf if i can help it iv got 2 kids that love to mess with the seat n behind them haha

You could slide a small section of MDF inside the flat surface of the drivers side wheel arch and mount on to the carpet.

Alternatively if the amp is small enough you could mount it on the boot door panel.

• Like 1

Hi kc. The pic you supplied. As lenny suggested. Try mounting your amp an the boot floor (top left of pic). I suggest buy some 3" thick building insulation stuff. Cut it in the shape of the boot (best do it in 2 parts like 2 lellet L's ) around the spare wheel. It's like putting g a false floor in the boot. You'll be surprised how little it affects the boot space. Look at my thread (so don't know how to get a link to it) think it's titled My mk3 Focus Install. That shows how I mounted my amp and there's no problem with overheating. Mind you it does depend on how big size wise your amp is.

• Like 1