Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Aircon Problem

Pierre

Morning All from a new poster

Hope someone can help, my 1998 Focus 1.8 LX aircon has decided to conk out, and based on what i have read and been told my problem lies with the Aircon compressor. Apparently, if you do not hear a click and the engine revs fall when i turn on the aircon then the compressor pump may be siezed.

Has anyone any experience of this and advise if I should have a go at rectifying myself or send it to Ford dealers.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre

Morning All from a new poster

Hope someone can help, my 1998 Focus 1.8 LX aircon has decided to conk out, and based on what i have read and been told my problem lies with the Aircon compressor. Apparently, if you do not hear a click and the engine revs fall when i turn on the aircon then the compressor pump may be siezed.

Has anyone any experience of this and advise if I should have a go at rectifying myself or send it to Ford dealers.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre

hi pierre, ive got an 02 st170 and im currently having the same problem, when i press the aircon button the clutch on the compressor does not engage, the fuses are ok, im going to replace the relay to see of that works, and do a voltage check of the system if its a quick fix i'll let you know as it could be the same prob as yours.

cheers

clarkost170

Thanks for the reply clarkost170.

I tried to swap out the Aircon relay with I think it was the headlight relay last night as it had the same serial numbers and pin configuration in the under bonnet fuse box. No change, plus the swapped over relay still worked the headlamp units, so I have discounted my relay as at fault.

The Haynes manual does say that the compressor pump can seize and I haven't used the aircon all winter like the handbook recommends you should. I also telephoned our local Kwik Fit garage for a regassing price and he did say "if you don't hear a 'click' when you turn on the aircon" then its a Ford job.

Out of interest, Kwik fit do regassing for £45, the local Ford garage wanted £60.

Let me know how you get on.

Pierre

I would suggest you take it to a proper garage that does aircon work, they will replace what is needed, gas it up and test for leaks.

As far as I know Kwik-fit just do regassing which is pointless unless you are sure that's all it needs.

My brother got his done like that on the cheap, he ended up going elseware and spending more money to get it working properly.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club