Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 auto ford fusion bad vibrations

mojo

Hi

i've trawled this site and some others and can't seem to get much info. hoping someone can offer some advice.

i have a 2004 ford fusion 1.6 automatic - only had it a month or so. Around town it's fine but when driving at speed, at about 50mph and above, i get a lot of vibration coming through. However, the steering wheel does not shake, just what appears to be vibration and shake from maybe the bulkhead and by the gear lever - it's roughness as much as it is vibration, i guess. it doesn't happen when the engine's revved in neutral. i've checked and had all tyres/wheels balanced, checked bushes, exhaust rubbers and the exhaust shield. everything seems okay - i reckon it could be an engine or some other mounting problem, perhaps even a dodgy fitted or leaking manifold but again, everything's fine when revved in neutral. Any advice greatly appreciated as at at present, travelling on motorway at above 50mph is a nightmare! thanks and best wishes. mojo

if its only happens at above 50 i would be looking at a wheel balance or warped problem or a rubber bush thats worn on the suspension.

Hi

i've trawled this site and some others and can't seem to get much info. hoping someone can offer some advice.

i have a 2004 ford fusion 1.6 automatic - only had it a month or so. Around town it's fine but when driving at speed, at about 50mph and above, i get a lot of vibration coming through. However, the steering wheel does not shake, just what appears to be vibration and shake from maybe the bulkhead and by the gear lever - it's roughness as much as it is vibration, i guess. it doesn't happen when the engine's revved in neutral. i've checked and had all tyres/wheels balanced, checked bushes, exhaust rubbers and the exhaust shield. everything seems okay - i reckon it could be an engine or some other mounting problem, perhaps even a dodgy fitted or leaking manifold but again, everything's fine when revved in neutral. Any advice greatly appreciated as at at present, travelling on motorway at above 50mph is a nightmare! thanks and best wishes. mojo

Hi, worth checking your driveshafts......as it doesn't do it in neutral, I'd suggest (but not guarantee) it's probably not mountings. There is a weight on one or other of the drive shafts, just next to the cv boot...these are not unknown to work loose or get damaged by debris on the road,having happened previous to your ownership....worth a look anyway and could just be a cheap and easy repair.

will check drive shaft boot and surrounding areas and report back on progress when i get it done

thanks for the replies -

mojo

update - if anyone's interested

checked all wheels, bearings and bushes again. all good

checked dshafts and areas for signs; nothing clearly problematic

mech suggested might be an out of balance drive shaft. having them taken off, refurbed at about 85 quid a pop (over 350 notes from ford!), refitted and will see what happens.

mojo

• 1 month later...

Just a thought, I have had a strange noise that seems to be in the middle of my ford fusion semi auto. Took it in a the ford tester who said without looking I bet you have some made in china tyres on it. he explained the tread pattern on some brands set up a viabration at set speeds. I was quite please when I purchase the car some 6 weeks ago as they were brand new tyres. Check where the tyres were made?

Just a thought, I have had a strange noise that seems to be in the middle of my ford fusion semi auto. Took it in a the ford tester who said without looking I bet you have some made in china tyres on it. he explained the tread pattern on some brands set up a viabration at set speeds. I was quite please when I purchase the car some 6 weeks ago as they were brand new tyres. Check where the tyres were made?

thanks for getting back to me. doubt it;s the rubber, though - but will check and change if they are chinese. hpowever, had the fault daignosed - drive shafts seem most likely; a bit of play at the gbox end. trouble is, for me it's an expensive fix: 100+ for each side reconditioned (up to 3 day turnaround!) or over 300 a side for new parts from ford. plus labour, plus trans fluid. if anyone knows of cheaper suppliers, please let me know.

also looking for a cheap front arm rest...

thanks again

mojo

thanks for the reply. doubt it;s the rubber, though - but will check and change if they are chinese. hpowever, had the fault daignosed by a mech who seems more definitive - drive shafts seem most likely culprits; a bit of play at the gbox end. trouble is, for me it's an expensive fix: 100+ for each side reconditioned (up to 3 day turnaround!) or over 300 a side for new parts from ford. plus labour, plus trans fluid. if anyone knows of cheaper suppliers, please let me know.

also looking for a cheap front arm rest...

thanks again

mojo