Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE Fiesta Detailing Thread

greenymk7

Thought id start a thread that could be pinned so anyone can et an info quickly and easily and ask any questions they like.

Im sure myself and mr dan will always be willing to help out.

il start off with all of the new products that i have bought :lol:

zymol sponge

bilt hamber auto clay

bilt hamber surfex HD

Super Natural Shampoo

Swissvax style brushes

finger mitt applicators

[Edit from DanGull - there is now a detailing section on the boards, so I have changed this to a specifically Fiesta-based topic and pinned it]

I4Detailing.co.uk have been kind enough to set us up a 7.5% discount code to use on all products on the website apart from festools.

I4Detailing discount voucher code - I4D123456 - 7.5%

Elite Car Care Discount Voucher Code - FORDOC - 5%

Finger mitts are fantastic, as are the brushes.

Supernatural shampoo I'm not impressed by. I got a sample with an order from somewhere and Born to be Mild is much better for me.

Bank balance groaning greeny? :lol:

Good idea for a sticky thread. I'm always happy to help.

Oh super, is this the correct thread to make an appointment for Fabio? :P

hi there

picking new car up Friday,what do i need to keep it in reasonable condition from new as this is my first ever brand new car.so what polish,wax ,wash,mitt ,drying cloth,polishing application do i need as i have seen the stuff in halfrauds the American stuff is it any good and can some 1 list what i require please.

how much money do you have :lol:

do you have a pressure washer? and what products do you currently own?

yes have pressure washer karcher and just the usual standard bubbles and mer and shamy and blade for water removal and dreaded sponge .and cheap tire dresser and wheel cleaner looking at the yank stuff in hafrauds gonna need 100 quid for initial out lay me thinks but there areso many cloths and polishes etc got confused and left it all there.seemed that they used a round ponge thing to apply polish.and a mit to wash and a cloth to dry is that correct and do i need wax as well as polish.

hi there

picking new car up Friday,what do i need to keep it in reasonable condition from new as this is my first ever brand new car.so what polish,wax ,wash,mitt ,drying cloth,polishing application do i need as i have seen the stuff in halfrauds the American stuff is it any good and can some 1 list what i require please.

By the American stuff - you probably mean Meguairs. They make several good products - the only two I use myself are the NXT metal polish and their excellent tyre dressing. If Halfords still have their 3 for 2 on, it's worth picking some products up in there and then finding the rest from an online detailing supplier such as I4D, Ultimate Finish or Clean Your Car.

Megs gold class wash has good reviews generally and so does their clay kit. However - things like their paint cleansing system and polishes seem to be out performed by other (and cheaper) brands.

As greeny says - it's all down to budget really. A comprehensive detailing set up can pass £500 easy, but at the same time the basics can be had for £100.

Absolute essentials as far as I'm concerned -

High quality shampoo (Dodo Born to be Mild or Sour Pour or Supernatural, Megs Gold Class or similar)

microfibre or lambswool washmitt (Dodo Wookie's fist or my favourite - the Megs microfibre mitt)

Large drying towel (Dodo Supernatural, Sonus or similar)

Good hard wax (Autoglym High Def, the relevant Dodo wax based on your car's colour, or Dodo Supernatural all spring to mind)

Tyre dressing (Megs or Blackfire)

A good number of decent microfibre cloths

A few foam applicators

Then to be considered -

snow foam lance and foam for a pressure washer

Two buckets - both with grit guards

Citrus prewash

Wheel cleaner (ACID FREE - Bilberry or AG Customer wheel cleaner for example)

All purpose cleaner (Megs' is great)

Degreaser/machine cleaner (Megs again, Autoglym works ok)

detailing clay (Sonus green or Dodo Supernatural) and lube (Dodo Born Slippy)

Paint cleanser/primer (Dodo Lime Prime)

Quick detailer (Dodo Red Mist, Megs Last Touch)

Machine polisher

yes have pressure washer karcher and just the usual standard bubbles and mer and shamy and blade for water removal and dreaded sponge .and cheap tire dresser and wheel cleaner looking at the yank stuff in hafrauds gonna need 100 quid for initial out lay me thinks but there areso many cloths and polishes etc got confused and left it all there.seemed that they used a round ponge thing to apply polish.and a mit to wash and a cloth to dry is that correct and do i need wax as well as polish.

Step away from the drying blade, chamois and sponge. Swirl central from those.

Polish is used to correct the paint - that is remove (minor) scratches and imperfections. It is NOT a final coat product. I use Autoglym Super Resin polish after the last wash if my paint is in need of attention. Dodo Lime Prime does a similar job this but also forms a better layer to put a wax onto. I prefer to use SRP and then Lime Prime Lite as a base for my wax, but SRP alone or Lime Prime alone will do.

Cloths - you can never have two many. Three basics types -

1. standard microfibre - quite a short pile, useful for general cleaning jobs

2. drying microfibre - much plusher, used for drying the car

3. applicators - usually made of foam, but I have some microfibre ones too.

You need at least one drying towel, and then a few of each of the other two types.

Check if your wheels cleaner has acid in it. Chances are it does. The Fiesta's wheels are not especially hardy - I wouldn't touch them with an acid based cleaner.

i can vouch for all the links that dan has put up.

they all have great service and the prices don't vary to much.

if you have the pressure washer spend £50 on the foam lance and ul love it

i can vouch for all the links that dan has put up.

they all have great service and the prices don't vary to much.

if you have the pressure washer spend £50 on the foam lance and ul love it

Seconded! Best bit of the wash - great fun :lol:

I use Autoglym ultra deep shine wax and after, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and am pretty happy with the results, however just wonder if there is any other (decent priced) wax and gloss/polish I could try?

I dont really want to spend a huge amount because, these 2 products I use cost me a tenner and the results are good but anything affordable anyone can suggest Id be all ears.

http://www.carcarenut.co.uk/details1.asp?P...-liquid-wax.htm is this any good?

thanks

For the price, you'll struggle to match EGP - however you'll get a better result with EGP over Super Resin Polish rather than over UDS.

Stick with that rather than using liquid waxes - the Autoglym products are only cheap because they're synthetic rather than wax based - not because they're poor quality.

just remember that a decent hard wax (any of the dodo range or AG HD) cost abit more but they will last alot longer.

you could get 4/5 years out of a good pot of wax.

just remember that a decent hard wax (any of the dodo range or AG HD) cost abit more but they will last alot longer.

you could get 4/5 years out of a good pot of wax.

I am one who is still waiting for their car to arrive . I have learnt a lot on how to look after my new car on this forum I have made a list of all the products I need to keep it looking good thanks for all the advice, my drying blade is going in the bin! I am sure that is what caused some scratches on my mini, anyway the questions for those of you in the know, after getting my new car home should I give it the full teatment straight away ie wax it?

without a doubt yes!!!

ford wont have full protection on the car, and with autumn just round the corner now is the time to sort everything out.

I'm just about to order all of my detailing gear before the car arrives. Also I didn't think I'd be getting a machine polisher just yet but after following a thread over on the detailing world forums regarding budget random orbit machine polishers, I couldn't resist purchasing a £20 clearance MacAllister random orbit sander/polisher from b&q lol.

So far I've decided on...

Duragloss #901 shampoo

Bilt Hamber clay

Menzerna PO23S Power Finish polish (not sure the fiesta will need this straight away, but other family cars certainly do lol)

Menzerna orange and yellow polishing pads

AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (may or may not get this, read a few posts suggesting it's a good base for the fk1000p)

Finish Kare 1000p sealant

Various microfibre cloths etc.

Looking forward to get all of this, gonna have a practice on the family cars before mine arrives next monday :)

thought id add 2 nice reflection shots that i got at the start of the summer.

Photo0055.jpg

Photo0059.jpg

X3070 High Tech Applicator Pad (2 pack) None £3.47 £3.47

X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel None £11.30 £11.30

MO-155200 microfibre Ultra Soft Polishing Cloth None £8.65 £8.65

X3090 Tyre Dressing Applicator Pad None £4.34 £4.34

G7516EU Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel None £7.82 £7.82

PBWS Wheel Sealant None £11.09 £11.09

G9524EU Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner None £6.95 £6.95

DJOC250 Orange Crush None £27.78 £27.78

A7301 Lambswool Wash Mitt None £8.69 £8.69

G7164 GC Shampoo & Conditioner - Large None £13.90 £13.90

is this lot any good b4 i order it

X3070 High Tech Applicator Pad (2 pack) None £3.47 £3.47 - yes

X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel None £11.30 £11.30 - yes

MO-155200 microfibre Ultra Soft Polishing Cloth None £8.65 £8.65 - yes get as many microfibres as possible

X3090 Tyre Dressing Applicator Pad None £4.34 £4.34 - yes

G7516EU Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel None £7.82 £7.82 - yes

PBWS Wheel Sealant None £11.09 £11.09 - yes great stuff

G9524EU Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner None £6.95 £6.95 - its good but i would go for bilberry wheel cleaner

DJOC250 Orange Crush None £27.78 £27.78 - i would go for a hard wax instead, probs hard candy

A7301 Lambswool Wash Mitt None £8.69 £8.69 - Yes

G7164 GC Shampoo & Conditioner - Large None £13.90 £13.90 - Yes

is this lot any good b4 i order it