THE Fiesta Detailing Thread

greenymk7

Some new bits I bought..

Zaino Clay Bars

DoDo Born SLippy

ValetPro Cirtus Tar and Glue remover

IronX

Clean Your Car big blue drying towel

Chemical Guys Bug Bugger and Tar remover (thinking once bug season came along, really wanted sommen to shift them from teh front grill etc.

Some fo that blue masking tape as its annoying have to be so careful around the trim.

Sounds good! I'd be interested to hear how you find ironX.... Looks an interesting product. :)

Only found out what those tiny but ridiculously stubborn red spots where, seen some vids of it working and figured better to give it a go before claying, only the odd spot of it around my car, but in vids when it turns purple, theirs obviously alot of unseen bits in the paint.

Now all I need is a good day!

well you have opened my eyes and bank balance up now lol im in the process of ordering some maguires products for the arrival of my girl :)Great post cheers lads

Ez brush arrived today with the standard viking soft brush for teh wheels...I think thts it..theirs nothing left to buy really!

• 3 weeks later...

I am after some advice please, as this is my first new car, my Ford garage advised that they had put on two coats of AG HD wax when I collected the car last month. Reading the useful detailing info on here, many thanks Dan et al :) , I have only done the basic wash so far - how long do you reckon the wax will last before needing to re-apply ?.

I've had 3 months out of a coat of HD wax - however, that was after I'd been applying wax for a while and was happy with my technique, there can be no guarantee of how well the wax has been applied from a dealer unfortunately.

Too thick (as is most likely) - and it won't have bonded too well in the first place and will be gone quickly. There are two ways of checking your wax layers - the swipe test (where you swipe a finger over the paint and see if you can feel the wax moving) or a better way is keep an eye on your beading when the car is wet.

SHouldnt be a problem with our weather!

Got a few more things but the best thing so far was an EZ Brush for the wheels, absolutly amazing, keep it in a warm bucket to soften the britles up and it can even fit thru the small holes in teh 17;s and reaches right around teh brake pad area as well!

On the subject of wheel brushes, I recently bought the Silveline wheel brush and I can't reccommend it highly enough. It's dirt cheap (£2.50), about a foot long, very soft, and can fit all the way through the spokes of the titanium 16" alloys. Dead chuffed with it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first good weekend of the spring so the car got a good seeing too today, snow foam, wash, polish and sealed.

However one area that is a let down is the top edge of the back seat and head restraints which gets a liberal dosing of labrador spit and has a grey sort of water mark, what would any one suggest as a good fabric cleaner

Cheers

All Purpose Cleaner - Meguiars if you want to go fancy, Tesco Daisy if you're not bothered about the brand...

This is where i really come into my environment, i am always washing/waxing/cleaning etc. To date i have probably spend excess of £400 on products, equipment, one thing i truly am particular about is an immaculate car.

I spend roughly six hours each time. not one place of the car is unlooked or untouched.

And most importantly wax everywhere possible, keeps it protected!! :)

Photo0323.jpg

This is where i really come into my environment, i am always washing/waxing/cleaning etc. To date i have probably spend excess of £400 on products, equipment, one thing i truly am particular about is an immaculate car.

I spend roughly six hours each time. not one place of the car is unlooked or untouched.

And most importantly wax everywhere possible, keeps it protected!! :)

Photo0323.jpg

Nice reflections - think how good they'd be if you spent a decent amount of time on it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find the answer in a search so I thought I'd ask.

Are the synthetic wool wash mitts worth a buy? Are they as good or nearly as good as lamb's wool mitts? I was in Halfrauds and saw a wash mitt made of the wool of a sheep but it was £7.99 :o - is that any good?

Synthetic wool wash mitt

Cheers for any advice.

That Kent mitt isn't bad actually. I have never been a fan of Lamb's wool mitts, they rot if not kept perfectly dry.

Can't beat a Megs mf mitt for me - currently in the 3 for 2 at Halfords.

Cheapest price I have found for lambswool wash mitts is from sheepskinshop.co.uk

http://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/productlisting.aspx?cid=42&pid=22&c=Wash and Polish Mitts

2 for £12.75 inc delivery.

Bought 4 about a year ago & the first 2 are still going strong (1 for top & 1 for bottom)

A good tip for drying them is to keep the cuff open after washing using something like the inner from a roll of sellotape.

Not too sure about their seat covers though :o

Is there anything in particular anyone has found that is good for cleaning/polishing the chrome bits on a Titanium?

Since it's only plastic and not actual chrome I don't really know what would be best to use on it.

As you said its really jsut plasitc and not chrome so no special treatment is required, I jsut wash and wax it with teh rest of the paintwork.

• 3 weeks later...

Insects, !Removed! little things have established a mass grave on the front of the car. What do you guys recommendas good stuff to shift these as part of the ever lengthening weekly wash.

Cheers

If you have decent amount of protection down then a pressure washer should be enough to get rid of them. If they prove a bit more tricky then a pre-wash will help soften them making them easier to move.

Failing that we can all build invisible shields around our cars :D

Quick question, hopefully the correct thread.

Ive just replaced 4 steel wheels with 4 alloys on my Mk5, what do they need to be torqued up to ?

I know this has been asked before in the first post but wanted to see if anyone has an updated version from 2009.

I'm getting my new fiesta in a few weeks and will obviously want to keep it clean and I'm looking into purchasing all the products I'd need to keep it that way..

I'm a complete novice when it comes to cleaning cars and have no idea how to go about it with all the techniques and that and I wanted to get all the kit I'd need for it.

So what are the best products to get?

Thanks