greenymk7

Area Rep: Midlands (Detailing Guru)

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec-S TDCI

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

Heres one for the experts..
My car is 10 months old now and just ticked over 18,000 miles :lol: and the seats/carpets etc are looking like they need a good valet. I have acess to a 'vax' and want to know what interior shampoo/products I should get to give my interior a good valet.

chris if you have some spare pennies lying around then maybe try 303 fabric guard and 303 aerospace for your plastics

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#152 Bashful

Bashful

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1l 125ps ecoboost
  • Year: 2013
Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

yeah i heard this aswell.

iv got rainX but only ever used it on the rear window, was contemplating trying it on all of them but not sure.

if there is no dodo within the next couple of months i might also have a look at the carlack 68 kit which people seem to find pretty gd.

i actually lime primed lited my windows the last full detail i did and it beaded massively but i didnt seal it with anything so it gone off abit now.

ps i frickin love the bubblegum from i4 :lol:

im just stocking up again on cyc atm but not sure on new products to try theres just soooooo many :lol: EDIT: iv just bought lots of chemical guys stuff as i havent used it for a while - watermelon air fresher, miracle dryer (test against my SN), Sasquatch maximus buffing towels and some speed wipe and streak free quickshine

I've used rainX on all the windows and not sure if I will use it again on the windscreen as it seemed to make things a bit hazy. Will try Red Mist on it next time I wash it.

Need to do my winter detail soon!

#153 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec
Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm planning on doing a detail on the new Zetec this Saturday if the weather is OK!

Here's what I ended up getting... (although I accidentally bought Hard Candy wax rather than Purple Haze :()
  • Dodo Juice Hard Candy Wax
  • Meguiar's Clay & Lubricant
  • 'Born to be Mild' Shampoo
  • Lime Prime Lite
  • some microfibre towels
  • a wool wash mitt thing...

Planning on getting a wookie's fist mitt next month, and some stuff for the alloys but broken the bank a little this month with buying the car. My bank account looks so empty :(

#154 Bashful

Bashful

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1l 125ps ecoboost
  • Year: 2013
Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

I'm planning on doing a detail on the new Zetec this Saturday if the weather is OK!

Here's what I ended up getting... (although I accidentally bought Hard Candy wax rather than Purple Haze :()

• Dodo Juice Hard Candy Wax
  • Meguiar's Clay & Lubricant
  • 'Born to be Mild' Shampoo
  • Lime Prime Lite
  • some microfibre towels
  • a wool wash mitt thing...

Planning on getting a wookie's fist mitt next month, and some stuff for the alloys but broken the bank a little this month with buying the car. My bank account looks so empty :(

It'll be worth it though once you see your shiny car

#155 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hook, Hard Candy is excellent. I'm all set to use Purple Haze this weekend - I shall compare the two.

#156 greenymk7

greenymk7

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

hard candy is an epically good wax.

in the spring im thinking of trying rainforest rub over blue velvet see how it comes up

#157 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

I've put a layer of hard candy on today, after lime prime lite'ing... if I'm going to layer up the wax, do I need to apply lime prime lite before every layer, or just wash the car and then wax up?

:)

#158 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

Strictly speaking - layering should be done with no washing between layers. Don't prime before the second layer, but if you have time and are able to bung it in the garage tonight, let the layer you've done cure and then put another on tomorrow.

If you don't want to wax every time you wash - and it's not necessary at all - you might want to get wax top-up product such as Red Mist.

Today I've layered two layers of Blue Velvet and two layers of Purple Haze on mine and finished it with Duragloss Aquawax. Strictly speaking, each layer could have done with much longer to cure (they got an hour each) but I'm tight on time at present.

#159 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

Can't get the car in the garage :( For some reason the garage is 6 inches above the drive... it's a bit of a bizaare set up!

#160 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

Ok, in that case you want as little washing as possible. If it stays dry tonight you can get away with a wipe over tomorrow (very slightly damp microfibre or similar). If it rains, a light bucket wash will do nicely and make it ready for its second layer. I'm presuming you're using a decent wax-safe shampoo of course, if not just go with plain water or you'll strip your carefully applied first layer.

Two layers of hard candy offers good protection - but with winter coming I'd be tempted to put another on, maybe tomorrow evening after the second layer has cured for a good few hours. I'd then top it with something as mentioned above, but you may not have the products to hand. :)

#161 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I have to say - all hail the boys at Dodo Juice. I know greeny and I bang on about their products alot, but I've had the most amazing day doing the winter protection detail on my car.

Dodo shampoo, clay lube, clay, hard wax and soft wax all used - great products, especially Purple Haze. I applied it by hand for the first time today and my neighbor asked me to stop feeling up my car :lol: :huh:

#162 greenymk7

greenymk7

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

I completely protected my dads car agen today as it didnt go completely to plan.

Got a couple of pics which il throw up tomoz. Used bilt hamber clay and fk1000p for protection and !Removed! hell wat a product.

Also dan take a look at cg speed wipe iv fallen in love with it lol

#163 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I've got the second layer of wax on, going to let it cure for an hour or so and then put a third on. The car looks sparkling :D

I've got a bottle of Megs Quik Detailer, is this similar to Dodo's Red Mist? Is it worth applying it and polishing it off with a micro fibre cloth after getting the third layer on?

Ta for the help everyone :D

#164 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

None of the Megs quick detailers (including last touch - the expensive one) offer that much protection. They're more aimed at enhancing gloss. However, if it's what you have you're certainly not going to do any harm. However, QDs are often solvent based, so be sure the last layer of wax is well cure (6 hours+ minimum) before you go applying it, or you may start stripping rather than topping up.

#165 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

None of the Megs quick detailers (including last touch - the expensive one) offer that much protection. They're more aimed at enhancing gloss. However, if it's what you have you're certainly not going to do any harm. However, QDs are often solvent based, so be sure the last layer of wax is well cure (6 hours+ minimum) before you go applying it, or you may start stripping rather than topping up.

It came as lube with the megs clay, but the clay is pretty crap.

Currently writing my birthday list for the gf... Red Mist is on it for sure :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users