#361 irononreverse

irononreverse

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk7

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

Done a really quick jobby on him. AG HD wax is wicked, sooo shiny!! And silky smooth :) It kept clouding over and threatening rain so I probably could have left it on a bit longer, but I didn't want to risk it raining on me with wax still on the car. At least it's got one nice coat on it. Very pleased! Inside was so muddy too as I had 3 people on the back with muddy shoes on on Friday :( not impressed with the mess 2 of the girls left behind... ignorant whatsits! I'm going to check tyres pressures now as I've only done it once since I've had the car, whoops! But I'm so pleased I FINALLY got to wash him! Yaayy! :D :D :D

How do you check your tyre pressures? I haven't actually done this since I bought the car...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#362 Gazjs

Gazjs

Area Rep: Central and North Scotland (Detailing Obsessive)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk 6 Facelift
Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

How do you check your tyre pressures? I haven't actually done this since I bought the car...

Inside one of the door panels or fuel cap it will tell you the correct pressure settings for front and rear, depending on how many occupants in the car.
If you go to a petrol station usually you can set the pressure on the machine, then put the hose onto the cap and it will either add air if you are below the setting you entered, or let air out if you're over.

#363 Flic

Flic

Area Rep: Southeast 2 (Chrome Hater)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Ford Model: 09 Fiesta Zetec-S
Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

They're in the passenger side door on mine. The recommended pressures for my tyres and my average load (one person, usually :lol: ) is 32 front 26 back... Anyone else recommend a better pressure? I think DanGull may have started a thread on this some time ago, either that or I'm dreaming of Dan making tyre pressure threads :blink:

Edit - I wasn't dreaming afterall, the topic is HERE!

#364 KeithC

KeithC

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta 1.4 Titanium
Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

Buy a pressure gauge from Halfords or the like, for around 10. Don't trust the ones at petrol stations, they are notorious for reading wrong.

#365 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Buy a pressure gauge from Halfords or the like, for around 10. Don't trust the ones at petrol stations, they are notorious for reading wrong.

Can I use the weird thing that comes with the foam sealant to inflate the tyres? What does it do besides squirt creamy, delicious foam into your tyres?

#366 FMC

FMC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7 Zetec-S TDCi + Eibachs

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

Can I use the weird thing that comes with the foam sealant to inflate the tyres? What does it do besides squirt creamy, delicious foam into your tyres?

NO!!!!

That's for puncture repairs only, a one-time use and basically a 'get you home' or 'get to a tyre shop' type product!!

Actually i'm hoping you are joking, otherwise that's got to be one of the most stupid things i've ever read on the internet LMAO :lol:

#367 Jonny87

Jonny87

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

As far as tyre pressures go I recommend buying a good quality powered inflator (Michelin make good ones) and keep it in the boot at all times. Also check pressures at least fortnightly if you drive regularly, and always before a long lourney!

Only check pressure and Inflate on stone cold tires that havent been driven on for some hours!

This is even more essential if you have tyres like those on the 17" X-pack wheels, which are low-profile and !Removed! expensive!

under/over inflating tyres will knock literally thousands of miles off of their lifespan and not only that it can be very dangerous to the point of life-threatening...

#368 FMC

FMC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

Need some help please!

Due to collect the new ZS next weekend (frozen white paint, worst time of year to get it - i know ) - and the dealer has had instructions not to valet the car whatsoever. They said it would need to be jetwashed at least, but i insisted they don't.

Then a mate reminded me of the protective wax that cover new cars from the factory - I presumed the dealer might want to remove that using the jetwash, or possibly (shock horror) a steam cleaner??

Question is what can i use to remove it if they don't bother touching it at all?? I have citrus degreaser, foam lance, usual mix of various products, but not sure if any of them will suffice.

I'm sorted for all other products and methods on first and protective winter detail, but i don't want to get a problem at stage one lol - Should i just let the dealer remove it?

Thanks in advance :D

#369 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

NO!!!!

That's for puncture repairs only, a one-time use and basically a 'get you home' or 'get to a tyre shop' type product!!

Actually i'm hoping you are joking, otherwise that's got to be one of the most stupid things i've ever read on the internet LMAO :lol:

It's black and has a pressure gauge on it. What does it actually do? I can't use it to fix punctures because I've already eaten all the squirty, delicious foam.

#370 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

double post

#371 FMC

FMC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

It's black and has a pressure gauge on it. What does it actually do? I can't use it to fix punctures because I've already eaten all the squirty, delicious foam.

OOPS, MY BAD - I MIS-READ YOUR POST!! (sorry caps on)

yeah, the "black thing" is indeed a tyre compressor :P

#372 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Need some help please!

Due to collect the new ZS next weekend (frozen white paint, worst time of year to get it - i know ) - and the dealer has had instructions not to valet the car whatsoever. They said it would need to be jetwashed at least, but i insisted they don't.

Then a mate reminded me of the protective wax that cover new cars from the factory - I presumed the dealer might want to remove that using the jetwash, or possibly (shock horror) a steam cleaner??

Question is what can i use to remove it if they don't bother touching it at all?? I have citrus degreaser, foam lance, usual mix of various products, but not sure if any of them will suffice.

I'm sorted for all other products and methods on first and protective winter detail, but i don't want to get a problem at stage one lol - Should i just let the dealer remove it?

Thanks in advance :D

As far as I'm aware - Ford don't use transporter wax. My car arrived with various bits of plastic fixed to the body, which I removed myself and was assured that the car had not been touched, no wax in sight.

You should be ok with them jet washing it, it's just their methods of contact washing that you need to keep away from your car!

#373 FMC

FMC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

As far as I'm aware - Ford don't use transporter wax. My car arrived with various bits of plastic fixed to the body, which I removed myself and was assured that the car had not been touched, no wax in sight.

You should be ok with them jet washing it, it's just their methods of contact washing that you need to keep away from your car!

Interesting about the wax, or lack of - what about any glue residue when you removed the plastic film Dan?

#374 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

OOPS, MY BAD - I MIS-READ YOUR POST!! (sorry caps on)

yeah, the "black thing" is indeed a tyre compressor :P

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
So I just plug it in right? I think I know how to inflate, but how do I release pressure?

#375 FMC

FMC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
So I just plug it in right? I think I know how to inflate, but how do I release pressure?

Plug it it, make sure you fit the connector securely over the tyre valve, and switch the compressor on (not sure if there is a little lever to flip up or over to 'lock' the compressor connector onto the valve? If so, lock it down when inflating).

When you've reached the desired pressure, flip the locking lever (if there is one) to release the connector and pull it off the valve as quickly as possible to avoid releasing too much pressure (you'll always get a little bit of pressure released but it's nothing to worry about)

If you want to lower the pressure/let air out, just press the centre of the tyre valve with your fingertip or something small (you obviously never used to let car tyres down or mates' BMX tyres for fun when you were a kid then if you needed to ask? :lol:)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users