Show
Photo

THE Fiesta Detailing Thread

• Please log in to reply
1077 replies to this topic

#976 Gazjs

Gazjs

Area Rep: Central and North Scotland (Detailing Obsessive)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk 6 Facelift
Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Much much better :P

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#977 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Titanuim Dress Up Kit, 17s

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hello again, its about taht time where I show up and ask for advice again!

I assume teh Dodo waxes are still the top stuff, was looking at a good shampoo to use with a Mitt for handwashing, and then I already have some AG normal wax resin, and HD stuff, but was remembering someone saying about the Dodo being much better, lasts longer, but I Have the White, so whats best for it, and do they do a colour charged wax so i can see where it has gone on.

Also actually seeing as I posted this....what do yas think on Orbital polishers...looking for something to take the work out of polishing the car, tho id probly still apply by hand.

#978 Nicola 88

Nicola 88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCI

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

Ok

I Have been reading what detailing products to get for a while now and 'think' I have a decent list, what do you guys think?

Dodo Juice 'Born to be Mild' Shampoo
Dodo Juice Hard Candy Wax
Dodo Juice 'Lime prime lite' (My cars only a couple of months old, so I presume I don't need the normal stuff for now)
Dodo Juice Red Mist' Spray
Bilbery wheel cleaner (and a chemical resistant bottle)
Smartwax Rimwax
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Bilt-Hamber auto clay

I4D Uber blue drying towel
EZ detail mini brush
Some more microfibre clothes.
2x grit guards

Also does anyone know where I can get a hold of some FK1000? I would love to try it out

My car is filthy now, took it on a little trip to inverness and its in dire need of a clean >_<

#979 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

You don't need rim wax and pb wheel sealant - they're effectively doing the same job. And anyway - if you get some FK1000P you don't need either, it's the best wheel sealant I've used and it goes on the paint too - win win.

FK1000P can be had from Serious Performance - their show detailer is also worth a look as a top layer to finish things off.

Serious Performance

I would recommend you're going to need more microfibre than one towel - I have hundreds and can get through 30+ in a big detail, and let's be honest that's what you're looking at here.

#980 Nicola 88

Nicola 88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for the tips,

I checked Serious Performance, they are out of stock until the end of July and I would ideally like some before that. I would buy from cleanyourcar but it doesn't recognise my address, I have sent them an email though so hopefully I will be able to order some soon.

I have about 10microfibre clothes at the moment, will definitely invest in some more then, I will see if I can buy some in bulk anywhere.

Thanks!

#981 greenymk7

greenymk7

Area Rep: Midlands (Detailing Guru)

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec-S TDCI

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hi Nicola

heres a link to FK1000P from clean your car.

http://www.cleanyour...t/prod_589.html

#982 Nicola 88

Nicola 88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

Thanks greeny!

I just ordered some, I can't wait for it to arrive :D

#983 barrywi

barrywi

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6TDCI Titanium 2010

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Here is a tip from a motor cycling friend of mine. You Meguiars fans will hit the roof I know but here goes.
MR SHEEN!!!
I have used it on several cars including my pride and joy ...a 2007 Jaguar XJ. It doesnt remove scratches but if you want a quick shine its great, especially as there are no white deposits and you can use it on glass, plastic bumpers everything.
You may have to use it more often than wax polish but you should see the beading when it rains.

#984 ozzrahog

ozzrahog

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium 1.6TDCI

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Before I had used wax on my car it was easy to dry after washing with an I4D absorbant towel. These days having used Autoglym HD wax, the water beads after washing and it's a nightmare drying the car with the towel, can seem to get all the water off and it leaves big streaks any ideas

#985 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like your wax layers are too thick to me.

You may want to try sheeting the car - after washing use an open hose (not a pressure washer) and gently run water from the top of the car to bottom - it helps drying.

There are also drying aids available - Dodo make one, or a number of other products also help the drying process - quick detailer for example. Mist it on after washing and before drying.

#986 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Washed the car today, but its littered with black specs or what I can only assume is either tar od rubber, all over the paint work and it wasnt for moving, the car was clean so I manged to get a layer of AG HD Wax on (ran out of light)..so Im assuming this is where claying comes in?...does it lift and remove those spots easily enough?

#987 aph1101

aph1101

Local Rep: Cambridgeshire and Rutland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6TDCi Fiesta Titanium

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Washed the car today, but its littered with black specs or what I can only assume is either tar od rubber, all over the paint work and it wasnt for moving, the car was clean so I manged to get a layer of AG HD Wax on (ran out of light)..so Im assuming this is where claying comes in?...does it lift and remove those spots easily enough?

I would imagine, from your description, that this is indeed where claying comes in. It removes the bonded contaminants, and leaves the paint very smooth and free from the crap you mentioned :) You may choose to use a tar remover, such as tardis, if you don't wish to clay, but I wouldn't if I were you.

To clay, you need a clay bar and some lube.

My reccommendation is:

Lube (The concentrate will last you ages. You'll need to get a bottle and chemical resistant sprayer.)

I4D Clay

This is the clay I use, and have found it to be adequate.

One issue with claying is that if you do not do it properly and don't use enough lube, you may end up with some marring. Also, some people (myself included) believe that claying removes wax layers, but as far as I know, this isn't absolute fact!!

Hope that helps :D

#988 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hey thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I actually have some clay from a friend who got it..never intends to use it, its this stuff

http://www.cleanyour...r/prod_477.html

Is it ok?

And ordered the Dodo bottle...tho if I can ask I have a good quality bottle and sprayer (beand new, order to by accident), can i transferr the Dodo stuff to his bottle, teh spreay head is brilliant on it.

Fully prepared to loose the wax coating, as far as I have read if done right, the wax should glide on and off after.

Another thing..do I HAVE to wipe down each part that been clayed stright after, or can I move around the car..spraying and claying then do a wash over the car again?

#989 aph1101

aph1101

Local Rep: Cambridgeshire and Rutland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6TDCi Fiesta Titanium

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hey thanks for the response, much appreciated.

I actually have some clay from a friend who got it..never intends to use it, its this stuff

http://www.cleanyour...r/prod_477.html

Is it ok?

And ordered the Dodo bottle...tho if I can ask I have a good quality bottle and sprayer (beand new, order to by accident), can i transferr the Dodo stuff to his bottle, teh spreay head is brilliant on it.

Fully prepared to loose the wax coating, as far as I have read if done right, the wax should glide on and off after.

Another thing..do I HAVE to wipe down each part that been clayed stright after, or can I move around the car..spraying and claying then do a wash over the car again?

No problems!

That clay bar is actually much better than the one I linked you to.... It will be more than ok :)

If you ordered that concentrate that I linked you above, then you can use any bottle you like. It's just like making up ribena! Add a little of the concentrate to the bottle, and then top up the rest with water.

The wax will go on and off very easily after claying. After claying, the paint will be so smooth to the touch, and perfectly clean. :D

My personal preference is to just rinse the panel I have clayed with some clean water, move on and then give the whole car a 2 bucket wash afterwards. I'm not sure you absolutely have to do that. If you want to get a more definitive answer, then just have a look on the detaillingworld forums.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions.

#990 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

More than helpful...just a couple more...with regards to the plastic trim..does the clay affect it, do I keep it well clear of it?

How much clay would I use for the whole car...im not sure what size of bar covers what amount of car, and do you fold/ kneed the clay after every spot?..or jsut now an again..tho kneeding/ folding more in trouble areas?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users