1079 replies to this topic

#991 aph1101

aph1101

Local Rep: Cambridgeshire and Rutland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6TDCi Fiesta Titanium

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

More than helpful...just a couple more...with regards to the plastic trim..does the clay affect it, do I keep it well clear of it?

How much clay would I use for the whole car...im not sure what size of bar covers what amount of car, and do you fold/ kneed the clay after every spot?..or jsut now an again..tho kneeding/ folding more in trouble areas?

I don't think clay affects the plastic trim, but neither does it do any harm. No need to steer clear!

I used about 2/3 or 3/4 of the bar I linked you above to do the whole fiesta. I would cut the bar into four and kneed a quarter into something between the size of a custard cream and a digestive biscuit. (can you tell I'm hungry?!). I would then fold over the piece of clay every now and again, maybe once or twice per panel, or until it looks too dirty. Some panels, such as the roof, youll be able to do the whole thing and it will hardly pick anything up. As you clay, you'll see that the clay bar picks up the crap off the surface and becomes dirty itself. You'll need to throw the clay away after you've finished with it. Remember, you can never use too much lube! The more the better in my opinion. :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#992 ozzrahog

ozzrahog

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium 1.6TDCI

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Remember, you can never use too much lube! The more the better in my opinion. :)

That's what our lass says about her clay box too!!!!!!!

well somebody had to say it

#993 aph1101

aph1101

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

:lol: Very good!

#994 mc_flame

mc_flame

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name: Lee
  • Ford Model: '06 Focus 1.8 Zetec Climate 3Dr
  • Year: 2006

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hi guys.

I'm just getting into the detailing lark, got myself foam lance etc.

I have a sea grey focus and I am looking for suggestions on what are the best products for me to buy.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers :)

#995 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,585 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

For someone who has never properly cleaned their car before (apart from bucket & wash mitt, occasionally some fun with the snow foam!) where is the best place to start?
Need some sort of idiot's guide!
Not looking to spend a fortune, but it does sound like I need some of this clay and lube to get all the crap off!

#996 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Detailing Guide

This has a few product suggestions in it as well as some advice on how to detail...

#997 Si B

Si B

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I have owned a black ZS since April 2010 when it was 5 months old. I have cleaned it regularly with wash mitts, BTBM shampoo and dried with 14D Uber towels. It looks good when its done but I probably need to get a bit more serious with it. Should I 'clay' it and if I do how long would this take and then what do I do? Alternatively could I forget the 'clay' and just use Red Mist. If the latter is an option what would be best type of microfibre to use. Think I need new drying towels any suggestions and what should I do with alloys, tyres and windows. Thanks for any help.

#998 Nicola 88

Nicola 88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCI

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

Hi,

Looking for some advice. I have owned a black ZS since April 2010 when it was 5 months old. I have cleaned it regularly with wash mitts, BTBM shampoo and dried with 14D Uber towels. It looks good when its done but I probably need to get a bit more serious with it. Should I 'clay' it and if I do how long would this take and then what do I do? Alternatively could I forget the 'clay' and just use Red Mist. If the latter is an option what would be best type of microfibre to use. Think I need new drying towels any suggestions and what should I do with alloys, tyres and windows. Thanks for any help.

Claying will help get rid of imperfections, I have yet to clean my car properly so I am not sure about how long it will take. Have a look at this Detailing Guide, it is good for getting to grips with what you need to do and decent products for the job

#999 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

'Claying will help get rid of imperfections'

This is somewhat misleading - it suggests that claying can remove paint defects such as swirl marks and light scuffs. Claying removes bonded contaminants, that's dirt and other foreign matter that is often invisible to the eye but rather has to be felt by rubbing a hand over the paint surface. Claying the entire car can take a significant amount of time if you do it right - a couple of hours for someone new to it. It makes the surface better able to take waxes and other products and if you're considering machine polishing it's an absolute must as far as I'm concerned.

Claying and Red Mist have very little in common - one is for prep the other is a final stage product. Red Mist without clay can aid your protection and shine, but it's going to apply better, work better and last longer if the car has been clayed.

#1000 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Titanuim Dress Up Kit, 17s

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Some new bits I bought..

Zaino Clay Bars
DoDo Born SLippy
ValetPro Cirtus Tar and Glue remover
IronX
Clean Your Car big blue drying towel
Chemical Guys Bug Bugger and Tar remover (thinking once bug season came along, really wanted sommen to shift them from teh front grill etc.
Some fo that blue masking tape as its annoying have to be so careful around the trim.

#1001 aph1101

aph1101

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Some new bits I bought..

Zaino Clay Bars
DoDo Born SLippy
ValetPro Cirtus Tar and Glue remover
IronX
Clean Your Car big blue drying towel
Chemical Guys Bug Bugger and Tar remover (thinking once bug season came along, really wanted sommen to shift them from teh front grill etc.
Some fo that blue masking tape as its annoying have to be so careful around the trim.

Sounds good! I'd be interested to hear how you find ironX.... Looks an interesting product. :)

#1002 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

Only found out what those tiny but ridiculously stubborn red spots where, seen some vids of it working and figured better to give it a go before claying, only the odd spot of it around my car, but in vids when it turns purple, theirs obviously alot of unseen bits in the paint.

Now all I need is a good day!

#1003 Bashful

Bashful

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1l 125ps ecoboost
  • Year: 2013
Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Has anyone tried Banana Gloss?

#1004 Carl.21

Carl.21

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S tdci MK7
  • Year: 2010
Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

well you have opened my eyes and bank balance up now lol im in the process of ordering some maguires products for the arrival of my girl :)Great post cheers lads

#1005 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

Ez brush arrived today with the standard viking soft brush for teh wheels...I think thts it..theirs nothing left to buy really!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users