Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Checking A Mobile When You Buy Online.

jace1969

As the title says,is there a way to check a phone you buy (say eBay ) after you have

it or before off the serial number to see if it will get blocked say stolen

or they have it on contract and stops contract and sells the phone.

I ask this as you only have a period of time to start a dispute on ebay/paypal and phones

can take a few months to get blocked,i want to buy one but don't want it blocked 3 or so months

down the line.

Cheers

Simple answer- Don't buy phones off eBay.

If it turns out as stolen then the network will permanently bar (brick) the phone and no network will be able to revive it.

The IMEI number will be barred.

• Like 2

Simple answer- Don't buy phones off ebay.

If it turns out as stolen then the network will permanently bar (brick) the phone and no network will be able to revive it.

The IMEI number will be barred.

I know and you are spot on but its a hit and miss as in shops they are way over priced and i have had a

few off there with no problem but going into the £400 area its scary lol

Like £500+ in a shop second hand and £350 area online so its hard.

Just thought there would be a way to check off the IMEI number.

My Lumia phone on a 2 year contract from o2 is only £11 per month inclusive of airtime & texts & internet

I don't use a phone that much to have a contract as im a 24/7 carer at home.

It was either the new moto g gen 3 or iPhone 6 as i have iPhone 5 now,big price difference

between the 2 like £300 but moto g aint in most shops yet.

This is what i was looking at iPhone 6 on eBay but very risky as stoney said.

I put £10 a month on voda and free i messages to my mates iPhone and friends and family free calls/texts.

I buy my phones outright then chosse the tarrif or pay as you go as suits me, bought a moto g 2nd gen sim free cheap on tesco direct then put a tesco £7.50 month sim in, but got option to change provider/ tarrif.

I buy my phones outright then chosse the tarrif or pay as you go as suits me, bought a moto g 2nd gen sim free cheap on tesco direct then put a tesco £7.50 month sim in, but got option to change provider/ tarrif.

Thats what i do,pay as you go so £5 a month friends and family (4 numbers) that does me free and 300 free text.

Also being iPhone to iPhone free text anyway and free MMS so i still have a £5 a month on there as you have to put

£10 a month for the text freebie from voda,dont even use that £5 on calls a month.

Some sellers have like a IMEI page showing the phone is all OK,this is on a iPhone this is why i ask.

That's if -

A- They give you the IMEI before purchase

B- They give you the real IMEI before purchase

C- Even if the IMEI checks out, is it just because it hasn't been reported/blocked yet?

• Like 1

That's if -

A- They give you the IMEI before purchase

B- They give you the real IMEI before purchase

C- Even if the IMEI checks out, is it just because it hasn't been reported/blocked yet?

Thats the one,if it aint been reported yet or blocked yet.

How long does it take to be blocked after a person reported it,i would report mine

on that day being a £500 phone.

Thats the sort of thing im on about to check it etc.

What is a ''brand new unlocked Generic version mobile phone''

what does the 'Generic' mean,person says never been to shops etc or used / opened etc new.

Generic basically means a copy without a brand name

Generic basically means a copy without a brand name

Thanks,you have saved me ££

Cheers

• Like 1

Here to help - not to hinder ! :)

The term Generic is often used in the pharmaceutical industry for copies of legal trademarked drugs

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just tend to buy unknown brands if I buy outright. I bought a MySaga C2 years ago, a cracking phone, 5" and had the specs between a Samsung S2 and S3. Bought a Landvo 900, which had roughly the same specs as the S3.

Both phones cost just under £70 - I am no snob when it comes to phones!

I then went on contract, pay £24 a month, unlimited texts, 2gb internets and unlimited minutes, and have a Samsung S4 mini.,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club