Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus - Reset Electric Power Steering Module?

liamnichols

Hey,

I recently got a 1.8 Diesel MK2 Focus (Titanium) as a cheap run around however ran into some issues with it last week... 5 days after the warranty ran out :|

I used the car the weekend before and it appeared to be working fine however when I went to use it last Thursday, there was an error on the screen saying something like "Steering assist failure" and the power steering appeared to have completely stopped working. Shortly after the engine management light had come on and after plugging in a diagnostic reader that I have in, I got the following error code:

U0131 - Lost Communication With Power Steering Control Module.

I had a pretty busy weekend lined up so needed to get this sorted ASAP so I rang round various garages Friday morning and managed to find somewhere to take it however they ended up spending quite a while diagnosing the error and I didn't get a response until this morning.

The garage said that they have been in contact with Ford and had been advised to test some components etc and from their findings, the components appear to be working ok so they believe that the issue could be fixed by a software update that would cost me £80.

Now I haven't told them to do this yet as it seems a little strange to me..

I'm a software developer and my understanding is that a Software update isn't going to fix an issue like this, and if it is then why the hell is is going to cost me £80?!

I've tried calling my local Ford garage but haven't had any luck this morning.

Although I think the update itself seems unlikely to fix my issue, I think that preforming a reset on maybe the ECU or the power steering control module might help if for some reason something has triggered it to shut itself down as a safety measure?

So my question to you guys is: Is there a way to reset these components on my focus myself? :) From the research that i've done, i've seen things like the ELMConfig tool about for these cars and there seems to be a lot of discussion around the ECU etc but I haven't really seen anything specific to resetting the EPS module itself.

Any help with this would be great!

Thanks

The only way that I could see a software update fixing the problem is if the firmware in the ECU has become corrupted.

I have to say, at this point, that I have no knowledge of the workings of a vehicle ECU but as a retired hardware engineer if I was designing one I'd be putting the operating system kernel in mask-programmed ROM for resilience and the maps in PROM or flash memory. If this is how it's done then I'd expect the communications algorithms to be in the kernel in which case it would be unlikely they would get corrupted. Presumably a software update would just write new maps into the flash so whether that would cure a communication problem is a moot point.

Was it a one off occurance or continued to have no power steering? Does your diag reader read eps codes as well as pcm codes?

The only way that I could see a software update fixing the problem is if the firmware in the ECU has become corrupted.

I have to say, at this point, that I have no knowledge of the workings of a vehicle ECU but as a retired hardware engineer if I was designing one I'd be putting the operating system kernel in mask-programmed ROM for resilience and the maps in PROM or flash memory. If this is how it's done then I'd expect the communications algorithms to be in the kernel in which case it would be unlikely they would get corrupted. Presumably a software update would just write new maps into the flash so whether that would cure a communication problem is a moot point.

I don't know the specifics but what you say does kind of make sense... Some sort of re-flash could fix any corruption issues but it seems unlikely that there are any.. And if there were then i'd expect to be having bigger problems then just failure of power steering or the need to update the software (i.e replace either the ECU/PCM/EPS Module).

Was it a one off occurance or continued to have no power steering? Does your diag reader read eps codes as well as pcm codes?

Nope, it refuses to start working again... I tried disconnecting the battery for ~20mins to see if that fixes things but not luck.

It seems strange to me because I used the car on the Saturday without any issues, parked it up for 5 days and then when I went to use it again the fault was there immediately from the second I started the car up.. I could be wrong but I would expect it to have cut out while using it or something if the motor did go? not while the car was parked up and not in use..

I've got a USB OBDII reader (a cheap ELM 372 thinggy) so I guess I could if i find the right software?

Maybe i'll do that next?

If the feeds and earths are ok , then either the canbus wiring or eps module at fault im guessing without looking.

Like to see how you can update software when theres a coms fault permanantly

If your ELM is a modified one, download FORScan, that picks up steering faults as mine gets a lot of 'high voltage' faults pop up, seems to just be CAN glitches though as I have no physical steering issues.

I don't see this being a software issue myself tbh.

If the feeds and earths are ok , then either the canbus wiring or eps module at fault im guessing without looking.

Like to see how you can update software when theres a coms fault permanantly

Ok thanks, yeah me too ha.. Might call the garage back and ask them if they're gonna charge if the "update" doesn't resolve the issue.. I don't mind spending some money if it fixes the issue but if it doesn't then I don't want to be flushing £80+ away

If your ELM is a modified one, download FORScan, that picks up steering faults as mine gets a lot of 'high voltage' faults pop up, seems to just be CAN glitches though as I have no physical steering issues.

I don't see this being a software issue myself tbh.

Not modified yet but I will modify it and then give the FORScan tool a shot, thanks!

I've just checked, EHPAS is on the HS CAN, so you should be able to use the un-modded ELM for it anyway. Just can't get anything on the MS side without modding it.

I've just checked, EHPAS is on the HS CAN, so you should be able to use the un-modded ELM for it anyway. Just can't get anything on the MS side without modding it.

Thanks for the help... I'll get the car back from the garage its in now, run some extra diagnostics on it myself to see whats going on as i'm a bit concerned about spending money on it right now.

On another note, should be ok to drive it 2 minutes down the road (20mph limit) from the garage right?

When you get it back unplugbthe connectors to pump and check for water ingress or corrosion

Sooo... I got the car back and have hooked it up to FORScan to try and get some better DTCs and here is what I have...

Module: PCM

Code: U0131-F1

Description: Code: U0131 - The CAN communication with the EPS.

Additional Fault Symptom:

- Signal is Above The Maximum Threshold

Module: Powertrain Control Module

So, I gather U0131 means that communications with the EPS module aren't working.. Am I right in thinking F1 means that the signal is above the maximum threshold?

And by that, does it mean that there is a short somewhere?

Also, the OBDII fault reports as U0131-P (I guess the P means pending?)

Any help on what to do with this would be great, thanks

---

Also, I tried resetting the DTCs but they just come back again :(

Was that the only fault? None on the EPS module?

From that it does look like a wiring fault between the EPS module and PCM but I wouldn't even know where to start trying to find that wire.

Did you check the plugs as Ian suggested as there could be a short between the pins if they're corroded.

Was that the only fault? None on the EPS module?

From that it does look like a wiring fault between the EPS module and PCM but I wouldn't even know where to start trying to find that wire.

Did you check the plugs as Ian suggested as there could be a short between the pins if they're corroded.

The EPS module wasn't even detected :( Only showed PCM, OBDII, ABS and IC modules on HSCAN so yeah, I guess either the connection or the module itself is screwed...

Only got the car back and had time to look at it 30 minutes ago so haven't done anything else yet.. will start digging about under the bonnet and try Ians suggestion tomorrow.

Do you know where I can find any info about what components I'm looking for and where to look?

I have no idea where the PCM or the EHPAS modules are located under the hood.

Thanks

---

Just having a look about on google... couple of places have also suggested to check the wiring behind the O/S headlight

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showpost.php?s=6759d7ef35fc32100834f7cab8758f77&p=4778360&postcount=2

http://www.cmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/73333-post7.html

From what I gather, the CMax is similar to the Focus right?

Yep, remove the o/s headlamp and you will see the 2 connectors on top of pump, unplug them and check them

If you got multimeter you can check for the feed and earths

If you got multimeter you can check for the feed and earths

Thanks man, yes I do... Don't suppose you know where I can find a pinout for the connectors? :D I might invest in a Haynes manual

dont want much do you, want me to drive down and fix it for you? lol, only kidding. no chance. ive messaged you

Hmm, that's odd theres no EPS detected, wonder if it's because your car is earlier than mine. This shows what should be on the HS and MS can on the left hand edge (its elmconfig but should find the same modules).

EC%20Eolys_zps3uzktphv.png

Hmm, that's odd theres no EPS detected, wonder if it's because your car is earlier than mine. This shows what should be on the HS and MS can on the left hand edge (its elmconfig but should find the same modules).

EC%20Eolys_zps3uzktphv.png

Ok, so i opened up ELMConfig and got the same screen in the above screenshot.. Clicking on the EPHAS screen didn't show any way to read anything or any values as if there was nothing there on the right side of the screen.. I guess its not meant to do that?

----

On another note.. I dug in with a multimeter earlier..

Unplugged the three plugs on the pump/module (80amp power, steering position sensor and IC lamp/10amp feed) and checked that the connectors looked ok..

The plugs themselves seemed to fit snug although the IC/10amp feed had a broken latch to secure it in place although i pushed it firmly in and it felt pretty secure.

I got the multimeter out and verified that the 80amp feed was live, the ground was good and the 10amp feed worked (when in ignition position 2).

I also checked the circuit for the IC light and there was no resistance (I'd expect that for a bulb?) so i think that was ok.

However i didn't check the steering position sensor as i'm not sure how to check that?

So from what I can tell, all connections to the module/pump itself are ok but for some reason the PCM/ECU aren't able to communicate with it...

What I don't really understand is that there are only three connectors and none of them connect to the ECU/PCM so how the hell does it know if it is working or not and how do they communicate?

I also had a look at the pump itself (from above), other than dirt it all looked pretty intact.. There was plenty of fluid in the tank think and nothing had been leaking so i'm pretty stumped here..

I do want to have a look from underneath and maybe try and poke around the module itself but I work/live in Bristol away from home and all my tools and stuff are back in Essex :( Will have to see what I can do without them but currently it looks like the issue is within the pump/module itself rather than the connections

---

Also, although there is a connector for the power steering warning lamp but there is no light on the instruments cluster?

Hmm, yeah you should get a read button on the ehpas screen, really not sure why there isn't but I haven't tried anything earlier than '07 myself.

As for how they communicate, this is the benefit of CANBUS, all the modules are connected in a ring, so they can all communicate without needing separate wires between each one.

Eps comunicates with instrument cluster and that then with pcm

• 2 months later...

So Guys,

Due to various reasons, one being my battery running flat while it was working out what to do with the car its been sitting around for a while.

I finally got the car started by the AA last week (battery was completely screwed) and its been at a garage since then.

£486.00 later and I should have a car with a new pump and battery by the end of today. However, the garage has told me that i'm gonna need to get this pump reprogrammed.

He said that i'll be able to drive it about with power steering for now but i'll still have the warning up as the speed sensor will need calibrating to the car or something.

I've been told that their auto electrician might be able to bring the settings from the old one (for £60) but if he can't then they say i need to take it to ford, something that could cost up to 3x as much from them.

He also says that the car could learn the settings itself so it might cost nothing.. For now i've told him to leave the auto electrician out of it and we'll come to it once the car is actually working.

From what I understand, these would be the settings that you can upload from ELMConfig? Are these the sort of things I can download from here (http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/pcm_frw.htm, although these are for the PCM and i guess i need the EHPAS ones?) and program onto the car myself?

You guys have been a great help so far so any more input would be great!

Thanks,

Liam

I don't think its a setting that can be downloaded, just needs to be calibrated so that you get more assistance at low speeds. Have you tried ELMC' on it yet? If you look under the EHPAS procedure tab there may be a reset procedure in there?

I'm just thinking out loud really as it's not something I've done or looked into, just what I'd be doing if it was my car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club