Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk5 Issues...

Hazzaman

Hi Guys,

Joined this evening to see whether anyone else with a MK5 can help me out.

Took delivery of a Titanium 2.0 TDCI 150PS last month as a new company car and i'm having a few issues. Was wondering if anyone else with a 2.0 TDCI could check something for me as the dealer seems to think that it's an acceptable noise.

With the clutch depressed, even at idle, it starts making a bit of a noise, it's not a rattle as such but it's almost as if the engine becomes louder. When pulling away it sounds like a rattly old diesel until the clutch pedal is fully up, at which point it becomes nice and quiet again.

When changing between 1-2 and 2-3 the same noise appears for the second that the clutch is down between gears. The best way I can describe it is the sound of someone running their fingers up and down a washboard if that makes sense. After this you can't really hear it over the road noise. I'm also finding it hard to get nice smooth gear changes, there's almost a notchy 'two stage' feel to the pedal.

I'm sure it's something that's gradually appeared as I don't think it was doing it until I hit the 1k miles mark. Unfortunately now i've noticed it, it does my head in every time I drive the thing!

I didn't notice the noise in the demonstrator and they currently only have a 1.6 TDCI in, which i've gone out in and it's completely silent but was informed its a different engine and gearbox so not really a comparison.

The dealer has driven it and given me the usual BS that it's normal and I just need to get used to it. I'm 3k miles in after about 4 weeks and I'm still struggling with it.

Anyone else noticed this at all or could go and check if when depressing the clutch they notice a rattling noise?

Also, a few other things I've noticed if it helps anyone testing one..

The satnav is a pile of crap. I live in Devon and spend a lot of time on country roads. Any moderately sharp corner, even on a road with no junctions for over 5 miles is announced as a turn which interrupts the radio every 20 seconds, and it also can't work out roundabout exits correctly, It'll announce that I need to take the 4th exit of a roundabout, and will then very kindly display me a graphic on the centre screen telling me to take the 2nd exit, and another graphic on the TFT dash telling me to take the 1st exit. And that's on nearly every roundabout. And the maps supplied on an August 2015 car are at least a year out of date already!

Awful torque steer - I wish I had given the demonstrator a spanking now! WOT in 2nd on anything but the smoothest of roads (even on a straight road) and I'm fighting with the steering wheel. I dread to think what the 180PS one is like.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

I'd take it back with a photographer/video operator and hand over the keys with a rather loud opinion of the problems and see what reaction you get.

Make out that the video will be posted on public media.

Watch the reaction of the garage manager......

None of your problems sound right to me, give the dealer hell, if it's a company car surely your company can bring some pressure to bare

Confirmed - get the strange rattling noise as well when engaging/disengaging clutch. I have the same model and engine as you. I had the same noise on my 63-plate Focus so think its just a feature of the engine. I almost liken it to a kind of gurgling noise. Havent had any two-stage feel to the gear change though and manage smooth changes ok.

SatNav is a pain yes. Don't like not being able to input post codes (as I did on my Sync1 focus). Have you found the option to switch on audible cautions? She politely says "caution" everytime you approach a speed camera! She is my new best friend. Havent noticed issues with roundabouts, but I leave audio off.

And regarding the steering, I have no real issue and haven't noticed torque steer (but I am not yet thrashing the engine as mine isn't a company car so would like to bed it in a bit).

All in all - I LOVE this car. Its such a pleasure to drive. Less so to navigate tight roads with though. And it doesn't seem to fit into many car parking spaces - if you find one wide enough, then it still probably sticks out a good 30cm, waiting for someone to turn across your front corners.

Rob

I have had a Mk 5 Mondeo titanium x-pack 150bhp tdci, for around 6 months now, I too have the same noise in second and third gear, so must be engine / gearbox related.

With regards to the sat nav, Ford have issued a recall on some of the navigation sd cards and are issuing new ones to help with the post code issue. The link to see if you are eligible for a replacement is: http://sdcard.fordfsa.com, all you need to do is enter the required details.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

Well this should be interesting, I'm awaiting a 1 week test drive of a 150ps 2.0 TDCI MK5 Titanium & then a TDCI ST-2 Focus. Apparently "my" Mondeo developed a "shudder" whilst it was being driven to me on Thursday, I've driven enough of my employer's MK4's to be able to say that even though I have a Focus currently I loved driving the "old" Mondeo. For a big car the way it corners especially in the wet never ceased to impress me.

I had high hopes for the MK5 (it's apparently more refined to drive (less road noise), it looks like a Jaguar & an Aston had a love child (not a bad thing!) & apparently feels a bit more upmarket inside).

I was rather hoping Ford had finally started to raise their game in terms of reliability/build quality, I guess I'll find out soon enough!

The recalled SatNav issue I think was about not being able to put 7 digit post codes in to the focus satnav. Are there other issues with the Mondeo? I checked my VIN and there is no recall. The issue I have is that there is no where to enter postcodes at all, only addresses!!!!!! I don't get it - SURELY you must be able to use postcodes? The guy at the garage confirmed not.

I have just got my My5 - if I remember correctly the button toggles between Town/Postcode.

I can put Postcodes in mine ok.

• Like 1

Well I really enjoyed my time with a MK5 Titanium 2.0 TDCI 150ps, incredibly quite & refined compared to a MK4. The lack of wind/road noise was the 1st thing I noticed (then I noticed all the toys!) :D I think I'd probably go for the 180ps model if I was to take the plunge just for the extra torque. Possibly down to the weight of the car I found myself needing to work the gears more than I expected when using 40-50mph A roads i.e. hills etc.

I've got a new shape Focus ST-2 TDCI this week, I actually managed to get the brakes smoking today giving the lads at work a "test drive". That's also much more refined than the model it replaces, I know being able to wheel spin a car in 2nd gear is childish but it doesn't make it any less fun! :innocent:

• 1 month later...

hello. ive got a mk v tdci 150 and exactly the same problem ie, engine noise transmitted through clutch when half way up, ford dealer says " normal " my last mondeo 2013 tdci 140 was perfect in this way no noise at all, this one thing lets the entire car down , its a pity as ford have done a fine job on the rest, surely they've got the expertise to get this problem sorted! phil.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Have a mk5 180ps mondeo. Tit X Same rattle between gears, happens as you change lasts about 1/4 second.

800 miles on clock dealer says normal, characteristic of the car! Now 3000 miles in decided to test drive another, same model same mileage. NO NOISE WHATSOEVER. Now booked in 2nd Oct will see what the dealer makes of it! 

had our 180 titanium x pack, 15 reg just over a month now, never heard any rattles when changing gears, cars done 18000 now, 17000 when we got it, so something is not right,.

what sat nav sd card you got? F5 is the latest one, it is a funny thing with the sat nav, it can see our street, but put the postcode in and it brings up a street round the corner.

Post codes just give the centre of that area, so not allways accurate .

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2015 at 10:17 PM, Hazzaman said:

Hi Guys,

Joined this evening to see whether anyone else with a MK5 can help me out.

Took delivery of a Titanium 2.0 TDCI 150PS last month as a new company car and i'm having a few issues. Was wondering if anyone else with a 2.0 TDCI could check something for me as the dealer seems to think that it's an acceptable noise.

With the clutch depressed, even at idle, it starts making a bit of a noise, it's not a rattle as such but it's almost as if the engine becomes louder. When pulling away it sounds like a rattly old diesel until the clutch pedal is fully up, at which point it becomes nice and quiet again.

When changing between 1-2 and 2-3 the same noise appears for the second that the clutch is down between gears. The best way I can describe it is the sound of someone running their fingers up and down a washboard if that makes sense. After this you can't really hear it over the road noise. I'm also finding it hard to get nice smooth gear changes, there's almost a notchy 'two stage' feel to the pedal.

I'm sure it's something that's gradually appeared as I don't think it was doing it until I hit the 1k miles mark. Unfortunately now i've noticed it, it does my head in every time I drive the thing!

I didn't notice the noise in the demonstrator and they currently only have a 1.6 TDCI in, which i've gone out in and it's completely silent but was informed its a different engine and gearbox so not really a comparison.

The dealer has driven it and given me the usual BS that it's normal and I just need to get used to it. I'm 3k miles in after about 4 weeks and I'm still struggling with it.

Anyone else noticed this at all or could go and check if when depressing the clutch they notice a rattling noise?

Also, a few other things I've noticed if it helps anyone testing one..

The satnav is a pile of crap. I live in Devon and spend a lot of time on country roads. Any moderately sharp corner, even on a road with no junctions for over 5 miles is announced as a turn which interrupts the radio every 20 seconds, and it also can't work out roundabout exits correctly, It'll announce that I need to take the 4th exit of a roundabout, and will then very kindly display me a graphic on the centre screen telling me to take the 2nd exit, and another graphic on the TFT dash telling me to take the 1st exit. And that's on nearly every roundabout. And the maps supplied on an August 2015 car are at least a year out of date already!

Awful torque steer - I wish I had given the demonstrator a spanking now! WOT in 2nd on anything but the smoothest of roads (even on a straight road) and I'm fighting with the steering wheel. I dread to think what the 180PS one is like.

Thanks

Chris

Have you got the noises between gears problem sorted Chris ?? 

• Like 1

Had my 180ps estate for a few weeks now.  Smooth as a baby's bum, and quiet as a church mouse. X pack headlights are awesome.

SatNav wouldn't let me enter my house number though.. Home is now the middle of the street. 

I'm off to look at the SD card version...

Had my 180ps estate for a few weeks now.  Smooth as a baby's bum, and quiet as a church mouse. X pack headlights are awesome.

SatNav wouldn't let me enter my house number though.. Home is now the middle of the street. 

I'm off to look at the SD card version...

Maggs, it's not a good idea to set your home address as your 'home' icon on the satnav. If say for instance you dropped your car key with house key attached and a thief found them they have access to your car and know where you live. It's happened a lot where the thief then takes a jolly in your car to your house, lets themselves into the house and then fills your car with your stuff and drives away. Some home insurance companies will then not pay out. Best to set 'home' as the nearest supermarket carpark, that way you will always head in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Maggs, it's not a good idea to set your home address as your 'home' icon...

Good tip. Thanks.

• Like 1

i have a 2015 mondeo 180 brake 36K miles and  mine makes a noise whenever the clutch is used almost like a grinding noise(from new).

Also the satnav is always now off route so much that i have paid for tomtom go on my phone as i can not trust the ford thing. It has the latest software but the whole system now reboot about 1 per week going into a service very soon the last time they had it for 1 week to sort out the satnav and to be fair they did for about 6 months Now the whole SYNC2 unit is so slow and unresponsive it has ruined the otherwise great car.

Yes i get torque steer in 1-2 gears but my car is loaded up with kit during the day ( self leveling rear suspension helps ). Have told the leasing company about the sync 2 issues all they say is report it to the dealer. I also set the home to somewhere different from my residence as a matter of course

My indicator sounder occasionally doesn't make a sound, been told there is a fix coming for this but nothing yet?

Also have phone section of touch screen not working, it freezes on main page and will only go to phone section by pressing home page button and then phone section again? This has been fixed  at least 4 times but after a few weeks it does it again?

can you all try pressing the phone section each time you drive the car and see if you get the same problem.

My indicator sounder occasionally doesn't make a sound, been told there is a fix coming for this but nothing yet?

Also have phone section of touch screen not working, it freezes on main page and will only go to phone section by pressing home page button and then phone section again? This has been fixed  at least 4 times but after a few weeks it does it again?

can you all try pressing the phone section each time you drive the car and see if you get the same problem.

I thought I was the only one with the intermittent 'silent' indicator and to that end I couldn't be bothered going to the dealer but I will now. If you hear of a fix will you let us know please.

I've never had a problem with the touch screen on my sync2 and I'm forever pressing it and messing around.

Now had issue with flat battery!

Car was driven 50 miles on the Friday, not used Saturday and tried to use it Sunday but was dead with no folding mirrors or boot opening?

Measure voltage on battery was only 8 volts!

Put on charge and AA came after an hour and started with booster. Charging at 110 amps and was ok again after 20 mile run.

Checked it Monday and found 1/2 amp discharge from battery, pulled every fuse but could not find one that changed the figure? Going in to dealer yet again on 1st November which I imagine will be another wasted journey with no fault to be found! and there is still no word on the indicator sounder fix or touch screen. I am a regular there, think it has been about 7 times now!

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer found no issue with flat battery! No surprise there! While they had it they did the indicator sounder update and allegedly the touch screen but it was faulty again the day after. Have now been in touch with Ford who are investigating it? Perhaps I will get a result now?? 

• 1 month later...

Had the update done on indicators late November and been ok since but as it was such an infrequent fault I am not 100% sure yet! 

Getting in touch with Ford certainly got some action and car is at dealer getting a new touch screen! Many thanks to Bridget at Ford for getting things done, lets hope screen is finally fixed? Fingers crossed.

I told the garage in December when it went in for service that I wanted them to do the update for the indicators and they asked where I got the information from, told them it was a forum and they laughed at me and told me not to believe everything I read on a forum. When I came back to collect the car they said they had found the ticket for the indicators and done the software upgrade by re flashing the BCM. That's twice I've self diagnosed and found the fix for my own car when ford couldn't.

• 5 weeks later...

regarding problems with clutch, I have had my mkv tdci 150 20l   now for over 18 months,11000 miles,  and as already posted have had a lot of noise transmitted when releasing pedal for the last inch or so ,and really spoils my enjoyment of what is otherwise a good car, and having owned over 10 of them from the very first 1.8 td all from new this is the only one which has this FAULT ! and the dealer and ford say " they are all like that sir " well my response is " then they are ALL faulty then aren't they, sir " I will be taking car in soon for service at my local dealer so will be trying once again to get this problem sorted once and for all.  by the way the other person with problems with flat battery on his mondeo, I also had a problem with battery going flat and to be fair my local dealer EVANS HALLSHAW PONTYPRIDD, south wales, booked the car in and changed the battery and I had the car back and cleaned with a complimentary safety inspection all within a few hrs despite them having to get a new battery from one of their dealers in Cardiff ! so no complaints there, PHILIP

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club