Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Way To Deal With This Little Scratch?

MPX309

fxrdp923.jpg

Hi there, before I tackle this, I thought I'd see if anyone can give me any tips. I think everything left of the join will probably buff out, and I can minimize some of the scratch on the right. The paint chip bit I could use touch up paint, but it will look horrible, however without paying to get it all resprayed professionally, what would you suggest is the best method and what sort of products should I be looking at purchases? thanks in advance

Well that's a bugger having 'damage' on two panels. To the left panel 1st. Try rubbing it down with 2000 grit wet and dry but use soapy water. Or one of those coloured rubbing compounds like T cut etc. The right panel do the same with the wet and dry but the bare metal bits need paint. Try a touch up paint but light applications with rubbing down after each touch up. It'll probably take about 10 applications. Yes it's work intensive but a darn sight cheaper than a paint job but it may be worth getting a quote from one of those scratch doctor companies.

• Like 1

The section on the left looks like surface dirt? And possibly will come up nice. On the right its the bumper so plastic - be very wary of anything you do to it

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Before anything else wash it then use some wd40 over it and keep wiping off with a soft cloth ive used it before it should clear a lot of that then you can see what needs touching up

• Like 1

I haven't got round to doing this yet. Truth be told, I actually reversed into someone and have to pay for their bumper to be resprayed first, so once I've got that out of the way I'll maybe get some quotes and see what the damage is.

Ave heard that old trick before with the wd40 . Just remember wd40 is a oil lubricator . You would still need to apply wax or polish to it . Save time and use water or rub it down with polish and see what your left with . Wd40 will work but its a pain in the !Removed! and can cause paint problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Displacement # 40's main objective is water displacement !

Original active ingredient : Fish oil - now 80% heavy naptha

Good for lot's of other things though - but not cleaning electrical contacts :)

Edited by MONDEO TXS 2.2

Buy Turtle Wax Colour Magic. It comes with a free wax chapstick that you fill in scratches with.

Get the one that matches the colour of your car & clean the scratched area, use a bit of

rubbing compound to blend the surface & dab & rub a bit of T Cut then use a microfiber cloth

to clean it up a bit. Do it on the dark marks as well as the rubbing compound will help remove them.

Fill in the scratch with the chapstick (get in as deep as you can go) & make sure it fills in

all of the scratch thoroughly. Wipe the slight excess around the scratch off with a microfiber,

but try not to wipe the chapstick wax out of the scratch. Give it all a good wash & then use the

Turtle Wax to finish.

Had my car keyed from headlight to fuel cap all the way down to the metal so learnt a few

ways to bring out the scratches. Eventually had a guy I knew at Ford respray but I digress.

• Like 2

The wax chipstick is good - but it's not a permanent fix

I agree soon as water or you wash the car the deeper scratch will reappear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I haven't washed the car since it's happened lol

The stick thing is basically a colourcharged filler glaze from what I can tell.

The bits on the wing will probably polish out. Preferably by machine.

The bumper has gone to plastic in places, although it looks as though the appearance of the scratches could be made less obvious by polishing. To polish them out completely you'd run out of clearcoat and compromise the paint system on the bumper » respray

If you're considering t cut, just live with the scratch. From my experience it'll just make a mess of things. I've done a few jobs for elderly couples (mostly, although a few younger ones the same) where they've had bird lime etch into the paint or they've scratched it, tried to use T cut, removed part of the Imperfection & in the process taken all of the shine away from the clearcoat. This meant that not only did I have to finish sorting the original problem, but then polish the paint up in the surrounding areas. I usually just do the whole panel

If you have a friend with a hand polisher / mop ask them to give it a go. I've had deeper scratches than this and they've come straight out :)

If you have a friend with a hand polisher / mop ask them to give it a go. I've had deeper scratches than this and they've come straight out :)

It's down to plastic in places... So it's not going to be perfect from a machine polish

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club