Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road To Mountune

Cagey

If it was mountune wouldn't make a kit that just gets it to 200 as it would be capable of that already, the use a cooler, air box and map. Seems to indicate 180 is all there is.

Bluefin takes mine to 200 with no additional hardware. Im sure ive read that if i were then to fit an intercooler and exhaust to go with the uprated filter i already have that i could have the map recalibrated to a stage 2. I cant remember where i read that though to back it up.

Some good gains for mine at Pumaspeed with the Max'd Out handset software.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-MAXD-Flash-Tuning-Box---Focus-16-Ecoboost-Stage-2_16706.jsp

Nope - although their parts can be astronomically expensive, I've owned & driven performance Frauds since 1979 & it's a common term of endearment used by Fraud owners for eons :)

Heard people say Halfords before but not Frauds, not manufacture parts are more expensive than 3rd party, sometimes Ford parts are cheaper than people expect too.

Mark's ST will know as he has it fitted

The MP215 includes the overboost (mountune don't have to comply with the advertising rule like Ford do) on their graph for the kit it states the figures were using overboost, but on the MP200 kits graph no mention is made to it.

If it was exactly the same they could use the same software to make the same gains as the ST, something is different then that means the car needs an intercooler to make the STs standard overboost figure.

Other tuners can make more gains for less money, they don't have to worry about warranty so can push further and develooment costs are lower.

I agree with mark here the 215 upgrade is on over boost but it's more about the torque increase in my eyes. The car revs more freely than before and is more responsive in general.

Is it worth £600+ compared to other remaps? Well I think retaining the warranty is what sold it to me so yes it is.

Remember as well this is a stage one remap some of the others are stage 2 or 3 and will need exhausts and inter cooler fitting as well. If you are going down that route get all the hardware fitted first then get a custom remap to max out the performance on your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all with this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the MP215 fitted, along with the Mountune Induction Hose, Mountune Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit & the Mountune Alloy Intercooler Upgrade. I would recommend them all;) They make a great car even greater. At the moment I'm waiting on the Mountune Cat Back to be back in stock, that's the last piece I can fit and still keep my warranty intact.

While all the upgrades, barring the MP215 kit, are quite subtle, you do notice an increase in induction noise & general eagerness of the car, plus, from a purely cosmetic standpoint, the black alloy Intercooler makes the front of the car look that little bit more menacing than when in stock form. The torque is probably the most standout thing after the upgrades, it just keeps on pulling, in every gear.

I love the way my ST feels now, and would definitely recommend any or all of the mods I've had installed. It's a cracking car in stock form, but just that little bit more special with the Mountune upgrades.

I have the MP215 fitted, along with the Mountune Induction Hose, Mountune Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit & the Mountune Alloy Intercooler Upgrade. I would recommend them all;) They make a great car even greater. At the moment I'm waiting on the Mountune Cat Back to be back in stock, that's the last piece I can fit and still keep my warranty intact.

While all the upgrades, barring the MP215 kit, are quite subtle, you do notice an increase in induction noise & general eagerness of the car, plus, from a purely cosmetic standpoint, the black alloy Intercooler makes the front of the car look that little bit more menacing than when in stock form. The torque is probably the most standout thing after the upgrades, it just keeps on pulling, in every gear.

I love the way my ST feels now, and would definitely recommend any or all of the mods I've had installed. It's a cracking car in stock form, but just that little bit more special with the Mountune upgrades.

That sounds awesome it is what I will be dong with mine I'm sure, The MP215 kit has arrived and they are just waiting to the exhaust to arrive as well but they advised that Moutune are having issues with the supplier on that which is annoying as thats what is holding up everything else being fitted. I could do it in stages but for convenience I want one trip to the garage rather than multiple as that also saves money in labour cost. But I am getting really excited now specially after speaking with people who have them already and just cant say enough good things.

The 1.6 lump is the same in focus, but heard turbo is slightly different on the ST

Mountune tunes maps keep the over boost function, but in everyday driving the full 215-217bhp that most tend to get on the rollers is there when ever you need/want it. Other maps do indeed remove it, but beware the standard intercooler suffers from heat soak as it is, and again they remove the torque restrictors in 1,2nd question is can the gear box cope?

Mp215 kit is great, can feel and heard the bennifit, and won't suffer as much heat soak from engine temps like open cones, open cones make a better noise though. But turbo cars hate heat soak!

Induction hose gives more noise and more throttle response.

Had the boost hoses and intercooler fitted as a package, made a huge difference. That's when you release how much heat soak the standard version causes. Mountunes is cooler is larger then stock, but is the smallest aftermarket one, so mountunes won't give the lowest charges temps, but others do block the rads slightly that could cause I raising in engine temps reducing power ,and be larger give a larger increase in turbo lag, Mountune version is about as big as you can imho.

cat back exhaust fitted, sounds amazing, but expect no performance gain.. Even Mountune HQ say expect no gain, without the sports cat and remap.. All have never seen a turbo car gain power on the rollers by just fitting a cat back, as the cat is normally the blockage point..

As for sound, with it all. 2years to enjoy car now then mr230 when warrantee expires.. :-)

First one camera 3mtrs from exhaust, but location caused some raspy sound on idle that's not present, so check both clips out.

Better idle version, different mounting point, max of 1500rpm blip of throttle.

The 1.6 lump is the same in focus, but heard turbo is slightly different on the ST

Mountune tunes maps keep the over boost function, but in everyday driving the full 215-217bhp that most tend to get on the rollers is there when ever you need/want it. Other maps do indeed remove it, but beware the standard intercooler suffers from heat soak as it is, and again they remove the torque restrictors in 1,2nd question is can the gear box cope?

Mp215 kit is great, can feel and heard the bennifit, and won't suffer as much heat soak from engine temps like open cones, open cones make a better noise though. But turbo cars hate heat soak!

Induction hose gives more noise and more throttle response.

Had the boost hoses and intercooler fitted as a package, made a huge difference. That's when you release how much heat soak the standard version causes. Mountunes is cooler is larger then stock, but is the smallest aftermarket one, so mountunes won't give the lowest charges temps, but others do block the rads slightly that could cause I raising in engine temps reducing power ,and be larger give a larger increase in turbo lag, Mountune version is about as big as you can imho.

cat back exhaust fitted, sounds amazing, but expect no performance gain.. Even Mountune HQ say expect no gain, without the sports cat and remap.. All have never seen a turbo car gain power on the rollers by just fitting a cat back, as the cat is normally the blockage point..

As for sound, with it all. 2years to enjoy car now then mr230 when warrantee expires.. :-)

First one camera 3mtrs from exhaust, but location caused some raspy sound on idle that's not present, so check both clips out.

Better idle version, different mounting point, max of 1500rpm blip of throttle.

Those both sounds really nice I cant wait to have mine put on. I am sticking to Mountune purely on a warranty front but the other benefits you mentioned are also a reason. Its a no brainer really when thinking of modifying a Fiesta / Focus.

It's so easy to make big numbers on turbo cars, but it's whole different kettle of fish to keep it reliable, and use able. Tbh I wouldn't like like to have full power in second, way to easy to spin up, and torque steer is quite a large issue now.

I'l admit part of reason for Mountune was the warrantee, secondly having spoke directly to them prentending not to know anything to see there response it was clear to see they don't do bull !Removed! claims.

Thing to remember, everything in tuning an engine is a comprise! For me my car is primarily a road car, which for me means I'd rather have a bit of drivability over max hp.

Drag racing, you could get away with an intercooler the size of engine rad, and run a massively aggressive map, and squeeze maybe 20hp, but around town you'd quickly get a rather hot engine.

If I was mainly do track days, I'd properly of gone for forge or airtech intercooler, and possibly a open cone filter. Due to more air flow, less build up of hot air under bonnet. Plus the increase in turbo lag wouldn't be as much of an issue on track as in town

I'd be very interested to see a dyno day with something like mine 'compete' if you like against some of the other manufacturers. Read about a dyno session recently that 4 fiestas 2 Mountune mp215's one with a miltek catback exhaust (other standard) one superchipped with a cone (can't remember which) and Grayham Goode chipped and cone with induction hose. All the graphs looked pretty much the same to within 2hp. All the cones suffered more from heat soak on the 3rd run. But the Grayham Goode won on out right hp

There was a 5th with a lot done chipped exhaust etc, with an airtech intercooler, guy said it would push 280hp, put out 245hp, but suffered pretty much no heat soak! Very impressive, but ... Always a but.. It lost out in torque up to 2-2.500rpms. Issue for not hitting that power claim can be accounted for the amount of power the cat back exhaust claimed to produce.. But at 250hp you on the limit reliably for the turbo anyway, simply can't supply the boost. seen readings of 280ish for out right power but silly high temps.. Anything more needs turbo upgrade.

Remember to try and get a before and after dyno graph for any claimed results from the same roller from the same car on the same day.. All dynos read slightly differently. Proof in the superchips dyno graph to Mountunes mp215 graph. Both show same increase in power, just different headline figures!

• Like 1

Standard turbo won't do much more than 240, claimed 280 would have been on a hybrid.

Heat becomes an issue on all dyne runs as the fans used won't produce the same air speed and volume as if the car was on the road.

Standard turbo won't do much more than 240, claimed 280 would have been on a hybrid.

Heat becomes an issue on all dyne runs as the fans used won't produce the same air speed and volume as if the car was on the road.

Cant tell you no more then the car was standard internals but running 281bhp. The rest of spec wouldn't be told. But the temps where high. But yeah from a number of sources 240-250 seems to be limit without turbo upgrades.

Dyno's only tell part of the truth, and yes the funds don't supply enough cool air, but neither does sitting in traffic.. But comparing 3 runs of the same car on the same day on the same rollers does give a pretty good indication.

The other thing to note to, most of mountunes experience comes actually racing some of these parts, like the intercooler for example.. Good enough for world rallycross, good enough for me lol

Sitting in traffic the engine and other parts will heat up but will cool quickly once on the move.

some ST have had 350 on standard internals, but would be on a larger turbo for that.

Mountune ST Intercooler is used on a rally car in a production class in the U.S. with a lot of success, that Intercooler is not use don a rally cross fiesta which have over 600bhp and need a large cooler, the WRC cars use a larger cooler but not that much larger than standard.

Sitting in traffic the engine and other parts will heat up but will cool quickly once on the move.

some ST have had 350 on standard internals, but would be on a larger turbo for that.

Mountune ST Intercooler is used on a rally car in a production class in the U.S. with a lot of success, that Intercooler is not use don a rally cross fiesta which have over 600bhp and need a large cooler, the WRC cars use a larger cooler but not that much larger than standard.

Actually you Maybe right, it was an American site comparing intercoolers where a Mountune rep was talking, there was ref to to rally and motorcross with and there intercoolers being used. Either one, if it's good enough to race it's good enough on my road car :-)

(There unit is a little bigger then standard, 38% larger. Volume to be exact)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the exhaust has arrived its being fitted next Wednesday :) looking forward to it.