Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard Brake Pedal

vaughan

Hello,

I have a mk1 Ford Focus here, 2005 1.8 TDCi facelift model.

Was driving home on Friday and noticed that my brake pedal felt unusually stiff. I pulled over when it was safe to do so and popped the bonnet to see if there was anything unusual. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, but over a month ago, I was being daft and accidentally broke the brake servo vacuum pipe at section where the pipe connects to the non-return valve.

I used plastic weld and mended the pipe though. I was always planning on having this pipe renewed by never got around to it. I managed to nurse the car home because luckily I had been working overtime that night so there wasn't an awfully large amount of traffic, plus I was less than a mile away from completing my trip. I haven't driven in the car since.

My question is, has anyone else experienced something similar to this before? I've been looking around and trying to source a replacement vacuum pipe with a non-return valve, but so far I haven't found anything. I contacted Ford Parts and they emailed me through ten different diagrams, but none of them seemed to match the pipe/set-up I was looking for. I contacted a few breakers yards but no luck. I'm going to contact a few more tomorrow morning.

Also, would this pipe likely be the cause of my problem? Can non-return valves cause these issues, and are there any simple checks I can do at home by myself? I can disconnect the vacuum pipe from the front of the engine bay, beside the intercooler, because it's easily accessible, but I can't seem to find out where the pipe then leads to, because it seems to go right along the back of the engine under the scuttle panel.

Would anyone be able to give me a few pointers or have a diagram for this? I can post a picture of my engine bay if necessary. I have also taken a video recording.

Right now, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm having to take alternative means of transport to work at the moment which is costing me a fair bit more than it usually would. The quicker I get this sorted, the better.

Thanks FOC.

Had a similar prob on my sons mk1 replaced from fords about 15 quid I think cured straight away but his was petrol 1.8 not a tdci so I can't say where it routes the scuttle panel should be easy enough to get off but it should end up in the servo and just pop out of the rubber grommet

Is this what your after http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCUS-MK1-98-04-1-8-TDCi-BRAKE-VAC-VACUUM-PUMP-PIPE-1M51-2420-ND-FREE-UK-POST-/281789023238?hash=item419bef4406.

• Like 1

Had a similar prob on my sons mk1 replaced from fords about 15 quid I think cured straight away but his was petrol 1.8 not a tdci so I can't say where it routes the scuttle panel should be easy enough to get off but it should end up in the servo and just pop out of the rubber grommet

Is this what your after http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCUS-MK1-98-04-1-8-TDCi-BRAKE-VAC-VACUUM-PUMP-PIPE-1M51-2420-ND-FREE-UK-POST-/281789023238?hash=item419bef4406.

Fantastic, cheers pal, that's the part I'm after.

I've been searching around for the past two days and haven't been able to find anything on eBay. I'm not too concerned on the price of the part, as long as I can finally get my hands on one. :P Will be purchasing this one now.

Ordered the part and just waiting for its arrival now.

What's the likelihood of the hard pedal issue being fixed by renewing this pipe? I'm worried in case it may be something else, such as the brake servo or vacuum pump. I don't really want to be throwing loads of money towards this car.

Trust me. If you damaged that pipe and then the hard pedal occurred 99.9% certain this will cure it to easy the rubber into the servo just put a squirt of wd on the rubber and it will just slide in .

• Like 1

Trust me. If you damaged that pipe and then the hard pedal occurred 99.9% certain this will cure it to easy the rubber into the servo just put a squirt of wd on the rubber and it will just slide in .

Alright, thanks again STEADS. I'll keep you updated.

• 2 weeks later...