Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Info On A Couple Of Mods

la_midgeet

hey guys, just wondering if any one has any information, price range and level of difficulty to install global locking and cruise control in my 57 plate focus.

cheers

• Like 1

hey guys, just wondering if any one has any information, price range and level of difficulty to install global locking and cruise control in my 57 plate focus.

cheers

By gobal locking do you mean the Windows opening and closing via fob?

Cruise control is easy done all focus have sensors built in as standard you can fit controls and active using a modified elm327 yourself just like Dan has done

link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71848-eve-its-time-for-a-face-lift-mk2-focus-zetec-climate-20/page-5

• Like 1

Global locking is the opening and closing of windows via fob, I know the main catch is I need to install electric windows in the rear doors. Il have a look at that link in a minute cheers!

• Like 1

Global locking is the opening and closing of windows via fob, I know the main catch is I need to install electric windows in the rear doors. Il have a look at that link in a minute cheers!

no problem

Yes that's correct mate even the OBD plug in adaptor from eBay that says it does global closing won't unless rear Windows are electric

even then I think the GEM (control unit) needs updating,

I wanted this feature myself but later give up on the idea.

although swapping out door mechanisims is easy done,

You would need to take out seats and carpet to access the door looms and install additional cables to rear doors because the main loom isint universal

doors only have what they currently need to operate

The rear doors won't have power Window looms feeding to front door.

Looking at 1 and half days work to install

looks like a lot more work, just for a gucci feature, i think i'll just stick to manually doing windows when i get in the car haha, how about swapping out the driver door window switches for auto up&down window switches?

• Like 1

By gobal locking do you mean the Windows opening and closing via fob?

Cruise control is easy done all focus have sensors built in as standard you can fit controls and active using a modified elm327 yourself just like Dan has done

link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71848-eve-its-time-for-a-face-lift-mk2-focus-zetec-climate-20/page-5

Thanks for adding the link Lenny.

Posts 62 & 70 in my thread specifically deal with the CC install. Phase one was the installation of the control and phase two is activation in the car's brain! There's nothing technically difficult about it. If you've got any questions just shout, plus there's a HUGE thread elsewhere on the forum which deals specifically with adding cruise control. There are lots of people on here that have done the mod and many are willing to help others do the same.

• Like 1

Cost for CC my way was £50 for a modified stereo remote. All you need then is a modified ELM327 cable (£15-20) and some free software.

• Like 2

cheers for the pricing, huge help to giv me a target to aim for, the physical connecting of the device seems straight forward and simple to do (im a trained sparky) but then you go onto using a computer to connect it up. this is where i get lost... Never done anything like this hooking cars up to computers... i thought it was only in movies :iim:

is this needing any special software? does it cost? can I hook up my tablet which I use instead of a laptop... (etc etc)

I am quite computer literate, just need the knowhow first.

cheers.

• Like 1

I hadn't done anything like this until a few weeks ago either. I must confess it felt a bit scary poking around in my car's software but I was greatly reassured by the number of people who had done similarly without any horror stories being reported.

ELMConfig (the software) is donationware (you get it for free but the developer appreciates donations for his efforts - I and others here have given him a token of our appreciation). You'll need a laptop - I used a 10 year old one running XP but it will work on more modern systems too.

It's pretty straightforward to use (certainly a lot easier than when only a Russian language version existed) and the general way of doing it is to:

1 - read from a module

2 - save to file (so you have a backup and can revert back if necessary)

3 - make changes (tick boxes or numerical entries)

4 - upload modified data to the car

If you read carefully through my posts on adding the Cruise Control I've detailed step-by-step what's required and included screen shots too. The only issue I had was that the original ELM327 cable I had was defective which led to me wasting some time. Once I got my hands on a functioning cable it all went swimmingly!

• Like 2

looks like a lot more work, just for a gucci feature, i think i'll just stick to manually doing windows when i get in the car haha, how about swapping out the driver door window switches for auto up&down window switches?

might work mate,

Don't know anyone whom tried it.

Fitting wind deflectors allows Windows to be left open a bit while car is locked helps reduce heat while parked.

some aftermarket alarm system support auto closing

do you have links as to where I can buy the modified cc unit and cable from? I've tried looking around and can't seem to find it. Only seem to find a module. That and I don't really want to do it via the big threads way and change my steering wheel.

• Like 1

cheers for that pal, I found it. Gave me a load new mods to do too, by the way my other half hates you now haha!

do you have a pic of 'eve' with your wind reflectors on? Trying to convince the partner that its a good idea (only as fitting global locking is too much work)

did you get your cable from the same place or did you get it elsewhere?(I don't think Lenny will lend me his as I've only been on here days)

then comes the question of the software, these are two things I never noticed on your thread.

finally I've been looking at re-spraying mine at the cost is as much as the car. So I'm wondering how much did you pay for your wrapping? If you don't mind me asking that is.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that I've given you some inspiration!

I don't think there are any close ups of my wind deflectors on my thread but the images on posts 63 and 86 should give you some idea. I'll try and get some better images over the weekend if I remember.

I don't have my own modified ELM327 cable at present as the one I ordered and its replacement were defective so I returned them for a refund. There are lots available on eBay but I can't give you any recommendations as to which one to choose.

The software is called elmconfig which you can download from here.

You'll also need to download and install the runtime pack. The other thing you need to do is install the drivers for the cable.

Now I'm on my desktop here is the link for the modified CC unit on Aliexpress.

My vinyl wrap cost £1125. Door shuts would have been £520 and the boot shut would have been more again.

• Like 3

Cheers for the CC unit link. Looks good, i shall buy it from there as soon as im ready to install =]

Don't know if i'm really having a brain !Removed! but I have installed that ELMConfig, but my pc is refusing to open :S.

Don't suppose you have any experience with telematics (black) boxes? I want to remove mine as its been disabled.

• Like 1

Have you installed the runtime pack?

Can't help with telematics I'm afraid.

• Like 2

thanks for being patient with me, it was infact the runtime driver & program link, I had to download it from elsewhere in the end and had to install it a few times before it actually worked. but I have got it up and running now, now just to buy all the gear ready to fit in hopefully one effective weekends work!

• Like 1

I've been reading this thread and have now downloaded the ELM program and its worked fine for me - running Windows 10.

Interested in doing this mod too but with wifey sat next to me last night she was adamant that i should not do it (i.e. spend any more money on the car - i was working on my car last night for a few hours to her annoyance!)...so i will keep an eye on this thread to see how you get on and maybe do it in the future when she's away at her moms for a week and install it then - most of my major mods are done when she is away as she just moans at me modding the car, women!

• Like 3

Cheers for the CC unit link. Looks good, i shall buy it from there as soon as im ready to install =]

Don't know if i'm really having a brain !Removed! but I have installed that ELMConfig, but my pc is refusing to open :S.

Don't suppose you have any experience with telematics (black) boxes? I want to remove mine as its been disabled.

I normally send out the modified ELM327 for a shipping fee of 10GBP which covers the shipping to the person as well as a self addressed return envelope.

In cases where the individual is new to the forum I charge an additional security fee of 20GBP which is fully refunded on receiving the returned item.

Total would be 30GBP via PayPal with 20GBP being refunded when returned.

So if you get the software up and running and you would like to borrow the modified ELM327 that's been tried and tested many times.

Let me know

• Like 2

Salseikh:- I know what you mean about the misses, haven't even started adding things to the car and she's the same! haha!

i'll keep this updated as I go.

Lenny:- seems like you got a good little deal going on there :). i'll try my luck at getting one, and if it don't work then il borrow your. if it's not already out on loan haha.

Dan P:- Cheers for the pics, looks well nice. I'm definitely doing this to my car :D, convinced the misses too! (bonus) haha!

Was these another eBay buy?

• Like 1

Dan P:- Cheers for the pics, looks well nice. I'm definitely doing this to my car :D, convinced the misses too! (bonus) haha!

Was these another ebay buy?

They're Team Heko deflectors. I think I got them from eBay but can't remember for certain!

I advise you clean the channel that they get inserted into before you install them as it will help the adhesive tape stick.

• Like 2

Awesome, atleast a have a brand to search :)... the misses is going to hate me come payday, my eBay basket currently contains, elm cable, dash cam and wind deflectors ^_^haha , slowly getting more and more.

• Like 2

Dan, Lenny, I have found another Gucci item that i'd love to install, however i'd like some advice on it. I've found a push start button that I can install into any car, I was thinking of installing it down by the front/rear heated window screen button the link to it is here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-Car-Engine-Start-Push-Button-Switch-Ignition-Starter-Kit-Blue-LED-Universal/32390954993.html?spm=2114.030010108.3.2.QgRvZQ&ws_ab_test=201526_3,201527_4_71_72_73_74_75,201409_4

Let me know what you think :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club