Do Not Sell My Personal Information

legal window % tint?

spitfire123

hi all,

bit of a grey area to me...

but what is legal on car windows tint wise?

is it the rear passenger windows and rear screen you aloud as dark as you like? and the front side windows and front screen have to have 95% light let through or somthing?

as its all-well putting tints on and buying them but its another thing ripping them off down the road as there illegal :rolleyes:

but tbh im only realy going to do the rear windowns as the fornts are tinted as standerd.

cheers all

I was told I could go as dark as I liked even limo black on my rear windows, front ones ive left with the standard, but think you can go slightly darker on the front but not much.

EDIT:

The Law - "Under regulations first issued 20 years ago and clarified three years ago, the windscreen must allow in at least 75 per cent of light while at least 70 per cent must pass through the driver's side windows"

The Highway Code - "You MUST NOT use a vehicle with excessively dark tinting applied to the windsceen, or to the glass in any front window to either side of the driver. Window tinting applied during manufacture complies with the Visual Light Transmittance (VLT) standards. There are no VLT limits for rear windscreen or rear passenger windows"

I was told I could go as dark as I liked even limo black on my rear windows, front ones ive left with the standard, but think you can go slightly darker on the front but not much.

EDIT:

The Law - "Under regulations first issued 20 years ago and clarified three years ago, the windscreen must allow in at least 75 per cent of light while at least 70 per cent must pass through the driver's side windows"

The Highway Code - "You MUST NOT use a vehicle with excessively dark tinting applied to the windsceen, or to the glass in any front window to either side of the driver. Window tinting applied during manufacture complies with the Visual Light Transmittance (VLT) standards. There are no VLT limits for rear windscreen or rear passenger windows"

ok cheers mechelle,

how dark have you gone on the rears?

thanks

EDIT:

Problem is how do you know what 75 % looks like?

I dont want jusy my back windows limo black, everyone has that, i would like all windows the same but as dark as is legal. Have no idea what that looks like.

Your front windows will be tinted to the max as standard, and it will give the percentage with the BS etchings. The rear used to be as dark as you like, up until recently when this changed to 85%/90% being the max IIRC

That info I got was from Halfords website, mine are 80% on the rear can see shadows through them although Mountunes and Robs are darker than mine and theres was tinted through Fords.

The legal specs are upto 100% on all rear windows and no more than 30% on front windows. I would say at a guess the Mk7 are 80% as Michelle says, used to have a jap car that was 95% and it was still comfortable to drive.

That info I got was from Halfords website, mine are 80% on the rear can see shadows through them although Mountunes and Robs are darker than mine and theres was tinted through Fords.

right just got some limo black tints off eBay with tool kit.

only paid £9.98 :rolleyes:

3 meters of it.

hoping to do rear side windows and rear window.

fronts leave as standerd.

cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club