Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot

terry-1987

Right having a argument on Facebook on a post my friend put up for.selling his bike, the speedo doesn't work and he said that's all it needs for Mot, and some.one has put it.doesn't need to work for the mot, but Im 99.9% sure it does and it's only.the rev counter that's OK to not.work can any one confirm this and if I am wrong can anyone come up with a good excuse as to why I am right anyways since I hate being wrong lol

"Reasons for rejection:

1. Speedometer not fitted.

2. Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or

the dial glass broken or missing.

3. The speedometer cannot be illuminated."

It needs to work. Might fluke a pass if the tester is hungover.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 1

Cheers I thought I was right as my mate even failed a.mot.just on a light on dash so was thinking sure speedo not working is more serious than a light on dash for.some.thing stupid but needed bmw computer to clear it after changed it can't remember what it was now tho

Definitely a fail but strangely enough not illegal to drive without one.

Of course you're more likely to gain a few tickets and driving without an MOT is illegal anyway.

• Like 2

Definitely a fail but strangely enough not illegal to drive without one.

Of course you're more likely to gain a few tickets and driving without an MOT is illegal anyway.

Was sure I was right too, was just a few randoms online saying other wise on friends post, I shouldn't have argued but was bored so got into a little debate and just wanted to.make sure I was correct before I give it.my.all haha

Not sure on bike but as for car mot, unless the speedo is visually damaged then the mot procedure doesnt involve a roadtest , therefore its not verified working or not, only time a roadtest is carried out is when brakes cant be tested on brake rollers.

I assume on a bike, wheels can be lifted and spun by hand to register a speedo is working or not

• Like 1

right, ive had a look and it does seem the speedo is NOT part of the mot for motorcycles. every day is a learning day.

there is no mention of speedo in the motorcycle mot inspection manual

• Like 2

A defective speedo never used to be an mot fail, as part of the mot doesn't include a road test so no means of testing it - certainly for a car but I'm unsure about a bike.

It is in the last 5 years the speedo came into play MOT wise, and surely a car gets driven into MOT bay, which would show the speedo working or not!

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

At what speed are you thinking of manourviring in to an mot bay?

• Like 1

At least 30 at 6000rpm if you go to a well-established MOT firm around here...

If one has left a car in the car park for MOT, they should be able to move enough to get the speedo to move.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

It is in the last 5 years the speedo came into play MOT wise, and surely a car gets driven into MOT bay, which would show the speedo working or not!

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

The test doesn't start until the car is on the ramp.

• Like 1

As its a motor cycle that the question was about, think we are going off the topic now.

• Like 1

Well keeping it on topic, if the bike was wheeled into the test station there is no means of testing the speedo. Revving a bike in gear with the rear wheel lifted off the ground is quite dangerous and if you have ever tried it you will know the chain gets thrown about as there is not enough tension on it.

Especially when the speedo is on the front wheel normally. Lol

Or they used to be.

Especially when the speedo is on the front wheel normally. Lol

Or they used to be.

Can't say I have seen any means of measuring the speed on the front wheel of my 2014 fireblade - which is a non abs model. There are no sensors at the front wheel.

Im an old git and havent had a modern bike to know, all electronic now im guessing from gearbox

Im an old git and havent had a modern bike to know, all electronic now im guessing from gearbox

Probably right there.
  • Like 1

Me then, may be old, but wiser hopefully.

Remember, that was purely your choice ;)

Downside to being old is less tolerence of younger generation who think they know it all, ha ha

• Like 1

Downside to being old is less tolerence of younger generation who think they know it all, ha ha

I can appreciate that :d

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club