Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendations For An Aftermarket Stereo For Mk2.5 Focus

tomo91

Hi all, I am considering changing my stereo for an aftermarket one. As there are so many out there I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations!? Preferably looking for one with a sat-nav and where I can still use the controls behind the wheel. Any helps appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Best value for money would appear to be either the Pioneer or Ripspeed units. You'll be paying a fair whack but they'll do everything you need. However I believe the Pioneer units often have satnav as optional upgrades that needs a pricey module adding to them.

Do not, under any circumstances, feel tempted by any of the cheap Chinese crap.

To be clear, there is cheap Chinese crap and Chinese headunits, there is a marked difference.

The sound reproduction on my Eonon unit is fantastic, Sav nav works without issue and is freely upgradable. Its possible to get Win CE or Android head units and within that you have have wifi and or 3G internet access. They are also modular allowing for upgrades such as Digital TV and Radio, multiple screens etc.

Do not under any circumstances ASSUME all Chinese head units are crap and that you must pay a stupid price for a branded head unit that is potentially built In the same factory anyway.

The answer is to research all options.

Ill Vouch for Eonon, But I would stay clear of unbranded clones on eBay, a company which has an image to protect is a company that will more likely look after your needs.

• Like 2

They are generally grouped into similar areas re the chinese kit - Eonon and Xtrons hardware is identical and all that differs is the software which leaves a lot to be desired in all cases. I've been messing with quite a few, my current one is an Xtrons unit however it plays havoc with the canbus. I've had to rig mine so it runs without it. People are also blissfully unaware that they come out of the factory loaded with illegal GPS software (as in not licensed for distribution by them, or to you). That however is mostly the WinCE units, the android ones usually come out with whatever GPS system is floating around Google Play for nothing at the time.

The quality of workmanship and components inside massively varies between any two units even from the same brand; it's not Apple's 13 year old slave workers building these with high QA levels. I had two identical Eonon WinCE units for the Focus 2.5. One appeared to work perfectly, one was DOA (both new). The DOA had a coil rattling around loose inside and the quality of soldering puts my friday afternoon work to shame! The caps were of varying brands, *none* I have ever seen in a Chinese unit have been from a brand I would consider trustworthy in anything powering more than a TV remote control; they're certainly not audio grade.

You often get what you pay for. I'm *reasonably* happy with my Xtrons, but only after making quite a few modifications to it such as relocating the microphone to my A-pillar as it's clearly built for left hand drive markets, removing the CAN control, resoldering the GPS module inside (like the majority, a Nowada based chipset which is no more accurate than what comes built into the typical smartphone but it works) and reverse engineering the firmware on the DVD/USB module so the interface didn't look like a DOS QBasic program from 1989.Sound quality is acceptable but I wouldn't say it was any better than the factory head unit.

Take a look inside a high quality unit, then inside any Shenzen special, and tell me they're equal ;)

However if you're a hobbyist like me, you can often get some quite good/great results out of these things with a little time and patience. Depends what you want from them really!

(Disclaimer: I enjoy fiddling with electronics, along with computing it's my main area of enjoyment; I constantly buy hardware purely to fiddle with and the majority isn't put to massive amounts of use other than what's currently in my Focus.)

• Like 1

Do you currently have the CD6000? I hear that the OE Sony head unit is a worthy upgrade if so, but doesn't have sat nav, but better sound.

I debated a Eonon unit several times, but the trader who was on here selling them put me right off with his lack of doing anything remotely useful, and if that is an insight to what customer care is like then I am not willing to throw down some serious folding on one of their headunits.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 2

I have a Pioneer headunit without SatNav(AVH-2500BT) and the sound quality is very good. It also works with the steering wheel controls. Would you consider using the SatNav on your phone and get a decent double din headunit e.g Pioneer, Sony which will have all the other features? Dynavin also do aftermarket headunits that look very OEM. They are not cheap sadly.

Heh, this again :) ... basically you have three options here.

1. go for a higher tier Ford stereo - if you have 6000CD, you can get the Sony one or Travelpilot (which would require a bit more wiring to get the GPS working too). Sony stereo, ideally paired with corresponding BT module with USB is the best compromise here - you'll get good sound, quality, BT handsfree and even an iPod support.

2. go for aftermarket OEM looking unit - there you also have 3 options:

2a) chinese crap - avoid these as much as you can - you can identify them on eBay by not having any "brand", any unified UI - shared accross their models, etc...and of course, they're mostly the cheapest ones...

2b) good quality chinese units - these are worth considering - they have their own "brands", such as Eonon, Witson, Koolertron (Rupse), Xtrons, etc...they usually have their website with good catalogue, which contains relatively correct infos, and also have pictures of the actual unit. These units have it all - FM radio, USBs, iPod support, memory cards, GPS, DVD, rear cam, video playback, even DVB-T TV and 3G/WiFi internet. Most of the functions are now relatively easy to use, over the time the UIs have "evolved" into pretty usefull ones. Biggest difference here is if you go with "older" Windows CE units or newer Android (have to be at least 4.4). WinCE doesn't have that long future ahead of itself, though it's proven over time, Android has longer boot up times, but it's easier to customize, so there might be some "evolution" here in the future.

2c) real brands OEM looking units - Zenec. Expensive and not that much worth of the money if you ask me, but as close to OEM as 3rd party unit can be. Interface isn't that "new", but it should be stable and all the functions should be working well. Don't have any more experience with this, though guys at Ford told me that it wasn't really worth the money when they installed one in someone's car...

3. aftermarket universal units - Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic - take your pick. If you don't mind an adaptor frame on your stereo dash, this can be better solution for you than chinese ones. Brands are proven over time and all the functions they offer should be working well. They support many features, but since they cannot afford to sell you unlicensed GPS app, the updates for your maps might not be free, like they are for the chinese units (more on this rather over PM than publicly discussing it here)...these units usually come with adaptor plug which can allow you to control your unit with original steering wheel controls - some might sell these adaptors separately though...

Now, personal opinion - if you can get your hands on the Ford's Sony stereo and you don't necessarilly need GPS or big screen go for this. If you want extra features for a reasonable price, go for some of the better chinese units - Eonon or Witson for example... If you don't mind spending some money go for either Zenec unit or any from the 3rd option - based on your design preferences...

Hope this helps, also, there are some topics here on forums worth reading through - many of us have shared their experiences there with aftermarket units ;)

• Like 1

Blimey - if anyone can believe Eonon or Xtrons kit are "quality Chinese products" I dread to think what the "no-name crap" is like! :lol:

Probably not far off the plonkers running out and buying Wharfedale, Blaupunkt or Polaroid TV's during sales and wondering why they're utterly cack despite having a vaguely recognisable name on the front!

Do you currently have the CD6000? I hear that the OE Sony head unit is a worthy upgrade if so, but doesn't have sat nav, but better sound.

I debated a Eonon unit several times, but the trader who was on here selling them put me right off with his lack of doing anything remotely useful, and if that is an insight to what customer care is like then I am not willing to throw down some serious folding on one of their headunits.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

to be fair, I had an issue with my first HU, after we got through the tedious language barrier and seemingly endless "tests" they replaced the HU without bother and even upgraded it.

From what I've seen the biggest problem is simply the time zone and language barrier.

Of course if your blessed with a fat wallet then theres no need to skimp on quality brands but for the rest of us mortals, finding a cheaper product that does the job is the priority and I'm happy to say mine does the job nicely.

As for the legalities of the GPS software, I agree, its best left to PM, theres plenty of folk on here that will help if help is required.

That's the same reason I have an xtrons - can't afford anything too posh; anything I make from refurbing the chinese stuff I buy goes into the kids' trust fund. I still find myself looking at nice branded units and dribbling like Homer over a donut.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club