Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka (2003) Cold Starting Problem - Help Please?

ciddy171

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Ka with Duratec engine 1.3i

For the last few days now the first start of the day is almost impossible and can take an hour or more - it turns over fine and 'almost' starts but normally takes as I say about an hour before it does, and then it runs like a bag of nails for 5 / 10 minutes.

But then it runs spot on and starts first touch of the key all day - until the next day!

I had a Ford breakdown mechanic out yesterday and he tested no end of things (no lights on dash by the way) and concluded that the coil pack was probably failing as he was "getting a spark but not when he expected".

So I fitted a new coil pack yesterday and this morning it is exactly the same!

ANY IDEAS?????

Thanks!

I am having a similar issue but mine is when run for a while it wont start.

Have you got an OBD device? - Essential it will save you hundreds of pounds.

I have 4 or 5 different ones (all less than a fiver) but they all work with the Torque app on android and use bluetooth.

I also have a handheld one cost me £25 on eBay but they all do the same thing and have saved me over £300 so far.

It would have told you about the spark and any other problems your car might have - modern cars shouldnt be without one built in.

Mine looks like the MAP sensor as I was getting OBD error on it from what i have gathered it could also be the coolant temperature sensor which I will replace if the MAP replacement doesnt work!

I cleaned the Map with some acetone (nail polish remover) and car worked fine for a week or so but then went back to doing it so got one on eBay for a tenner so trying that tomorrow.

At least you dont end up stranded miles from home and having to wait an hour or so before the car will start its been doing my nut right in!

I would say test MAP sensor with a multimeter if you dont have an OBD device - but i would recommend you invest in one as it will save you hours of diagnostics and is great for total novices - A garage charges £60 just for this test. I would also check any sensors like coolant temperature , crank position sensor and and clutch position sensor etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club