Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Chip :(

mills705

Driving to work today and unfortunatly I got smacked by quite a large stone in the windscreen, it has left a largeish blemish on the windscreen just in my line of sight. I have looked at it and it looks almost like a piece of paper is stuck to the windscreen. Its almost a graze has happened rather than an actual chip.

I have comp insurance but wondering if its easy to repair the zetec windscreen?

I'd just replace the windscreen, despite what Gavin at Autoglass may say, repairs suck.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 2

I would not really call it a chip thats the thing. It looks like the stone has hit the glass and caused a slight graze on the windscreen and there is not a chip ie glass material missing inwards at all. Hence why I questioned it! My dad is a bit more into cars so I am going to let him have a look.

Is the fiesta windscreen treated with anything? As I can possibly use polish to get it out?

I'd just replace the windscreen, despite what Gavin at Autoglass may say, repairs suck.

Don't judge repairs on what you might have seen. Generally speaking, most of the replacement fitters aren't very good at repairing damaged windscreens.

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/botched-windscreen-repair/

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/what-isnt-clear-about-windscreen-repairs/

Also, replacing the windscreen could, potentially, open another can of worms; will the glass be a genuine Ford branded windscreen? And who will be fitting it? Will he be up to the job?

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/see-the-windscreen-as-the-last-line-of-defence/

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/wrong-windscreen-fitted-to-car/

(Mods: links are not commercial)

• Like 1

I would not really call it a chip thats the thing. It looks like the stone has hit the glass and caused a slight graze on the windscreen and there is not a chip ie glass material missing inwards at all. Hence why I questioned it! My dad is a bit more into cars so I am going to let him have a look.

Is the fiesta windscreen treated with anything? As I can possibly use polish to get it out?

It sounds like a scuff, or the glass has been shelled; it's not a structural repair, more a cosmetic one.

Whereabouts are you?

I can recommend a couple of people, but it would depend on your location...

Don't judge repairs on what you might have seen. Generally speaking, most of the replacement fitters aren't very good at repairing damaged windscreens.

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/botched-windscreen-repair/

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/what-isnt-clear-about-windscreen-repairs/

Also, replacing the windscreen could, potentially, open another can of worms; will the glass be a genuine Ford branded windscreen? And who will be fitting it? Will he be up to the job?

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/see-the-windscreen-as-the-last-line-of-defence/

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/wrong-windscreen-fitted-to-car/

(Mods: links are not commercial)

Had my windscreen replaced by 'gavin' and couldn't fault the guy, windscreen put in and everything (interior light, heated screen, mirror) all work as they should, but you are correct that it isn't and won't be a genuine branded Ford screen. If you go through your insurance you'll have a fight on your hands to get a Ford branded screen. My replacement screen is a Pilkinton screen. Pilkinton supply ford and other manufacturers with screens so it's a 'like for like'.
  • Like 1

Pilkinton supply ford and other manufacturers with screens so it's a 'like for like'.

If it does not bear the (car) manufacturer logo, it is not like-for-like. It probably wasn't even made in the same country, never mind plant.

Most windscreen excesses are only £50-£75 aren't they? Just get it replaced

Most windscreen excesses are only £50-£75 aren't they? Just get it replaced

The damage is repairable, so why register a claim on your history? There will be an impact on NCD with some policies, while others will load your premium on renewal after making a claim. More and more insurers are asking for disclosure of ALL recent claims (and some proposals have been refused, or policies canceled after glass claims were not disclosed).

In any case, a new windscreen will be just a new windscreen. It won't be a genuine part and it'll be a bit of a lottery as to who comes out on the day to fit it.

If it does not bear the (car) manufacturer logo, it is not like-for-like. It probably wasn't even made in the same country, never mind plant.

Not getting into an argument about windscreens but the windscreen manufacturers aren't allowed to laser/print the vehicle makers logo onto screens. The fact your getting a replacement windscreen with all the relevant logo's/markings/fittings on them they're classed as a 'like for like'. Also, using the codes etched onto the screen you will find out where the screen was manufactured.

Not getting into an argument about windscreens but the windscreen manufacturers aren't allowed to laser/print the vehicle makers logo onto screens. The fact your getting a replacement windscreen with all the relevant logo's/markings/fittings on them they're classed as a 'like for like'. Also, using the codes etched onto the screen you will find out where the screen was manufactured.

No argument from me. let's see some facts: you say manufacturers are, "not allowed" to print logos on glass. Can you support this with anything?

Just because it doesn't say Ford on a part it doesn't mean it's not the right one.

Ford have a habit of buying generic parts and after adding their logo or FoMoCo to it they then bump the price up (as I'm sure many manufacturers do).

Ford don't make their own screens/filters/loom connectors/lights etc, they pay other companies to do it under contract.

• Like 1

Just because it doesn't say Ford on a part it doesn't mean it's not the right one.

Ford have a habit of buying generic parts and after adding their logo or FoMoCo to it they then bump the price up (as I'm sure many manufacturers do).

Ford don't make their own screens/filters/loom connectors/lights etc, they pay other companies to do it under contract.

OE windscreens are made under license. The OEM is contracted to manufacture the windscreens and glass products. The car manufacturer logos are part of the 'silkprint' painted on during the manufacturing process. Not after.

Fords do not make their own screens all they do is get the maker to put their stamp on it. It will more likely to have been made by Pilkington or Triple xxx which most replacements are made by anyway part from the Ford stamp on the glass

• Like 1

Hi Glassman

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I have a small cosmetic stone chip on my windscreen that is repairable and I don't want to put it through my insurance as for a start my excess is £65 on glass. Can you recommend anyone to do a cash repair in West Sussex - specifically Burgess Hill area?

No heated debate here as my mother in law works for the insurance company I'm with and I've just gone through a windscreen replacement. I gave up that nonsense when I left school eons ago!

• Like 1

No heated debate here as my mother in law works for the insurance company I'm with and I've just gone through a windscreen replacement. I gave up that nonsense when I left school eons ago!

Link to the facts from earlier statement, please. Ta.

Link to the facts from earlier statement, please. Ta.

The windscreen chip of the member above has been resolved. So on his case, Can we leave it at that?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The windscreen chip's been resolved. Can we leave it at that?

Where does the OP say that? AFAICS, he hasn't updated??

In any case, for the benefit of those reading, a couple of myths need clarifying to stop the spread of Chinese Whispers.

Where does the OP say that? AFAICS, he hasn't updated??

In any case, for the benefit of those reading, a couple of myths need clarifying to stop the spread of Chinese Whispers.

Get used to it, theres plenty of inacuracies on this forum ive tried getting info on statements by fellow users, but the trails normally go cold.

Ive given up trying to correct inacuracies on forum

Get used to it, theres plenty of inacuracies on this forum ive tried getting info on statements by fellow users, but the trails normally go cold.

Ive given up trying to correct inacuracies on forum

It's not just here, it is quite widespread. Even when you present hard, carved in stone facts, some people just do not like being wrong.

Better to be right, or benefit from another's experience.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club