Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3.5 Titanium X 1.0 Ecoboost Engine Sound Help.

Rob89

Hey

Recently got my MK3.5 Focus Titanium X with a 1.0 Ecoboost engine and I love it.

But there is 1 issue, if it's even an issue that I need help with. There is a weird buzzing sound coming from the engine after parking up at home, switching the engine off and locking up. This sound can last minutes, sometimes more than 5mins. And it's been bugging me as to what it is.
I've been told by a few friends that it is probably the fans but I need to know for certain what this is to clear my mind.

Thanks.

Sounds like the coolant pump.

There is an electronic pump which keeps going after you turn the engine off to cool the turbo down.

I assume it is not very loud just a fair buzz can be heard when at the front of the car?

Yeah, there's a definate buzz/hum noise which last's about 5 mins on mine too, when i had the bonnet up it was comming from around the turbo area..Didn't really bother me much, and it sounded that it was ment to happen..

That's good to know it's not just me and it's not a bad thing.

Was just worried it wasn't supposed to make that sound.

The 1.0 ECOboost has a watercooled turbo. If necessary the electric water pump cools the turbo after the engine is stopped while the engine and turbo are still (too) hot.

Early versions of the 1.0 ECOboost did only have the electric water pump if a towing hook was factory fitted. On cars without a factory fitted towing hook the electric water pump must be installed if an aftermarket towing hook is fitted. From about 02-2014 Ford did install the electric water pump on every 1.0 ECOboost.

The 1.0 ECOboost has a watercooled turbo. If necessary the electric water pump cools the turbo after the engine is stopped while the engine and turbo are still (too) hot.

Early versions of the 1.0 ECOboost did only have the electric water pump if a towing hook was factory fitted. On cars without a factory fitted towing hook the electric water pump must be installed if an aftermarket towing hook is fitted. From about 02-2014 Ford did install the electric water pump on every 1.0 ECOboost.

Is there any easy way to see if it is fitted?

Might look at having it put on my mum's 2012 Focus if it hasn't got one but don't know where it is to look...

On the 1.0 ECOboost the electric water pump is mounted on the radiator/fan housing. The 2012 1.0 ECOboost does only have the electric water pump if it has a factory fitted towing hook or an aftermarket towing hook installed by Ford prescriptions.

My late 2013 1.0 ECOboost (125 HP) does not have the electric water pump. I am planning to retrofit the electric water pump to prevent turbo damage caused by insufficient cooling after the engine is stopped. Next to the electric water pump, coolant hoses and clamps the PCM needs to be reprogrammed otherwise the electric water pump will not be activated.

• Like 1

Brilliant guys. Thank you for the replies they have eased my mind.

Despite the water cooling you should idle the car for at least 20 secs ive heard of 3 head gasket failures due to this issue at a friends garage which were referred to ford 1 was a cracked head 2 were head gaskets also quite a few failed dmf one at 6700 miles on a 14 plate ford state its driver error

Head gaskets sound more likely to be due to overheating from the old coolant pipe. There has been a recall for these which also include a software update to lower temperature thresholds.

• Like 1

Head gaskets sound more likely to be due to overheating from the old coolant pipe. There has been a recall for these which also include a software update to lower temperature thresholds.

I aggre with thats probably more like the case, only headgasket failures/ head warping Ive seen/ dealt with has been due to pipe breakage, and I see alot of ecoboost engines .lol

But im not saying headgaskets wont fail from other causes, its mechaical like any other engine.

Probably no higher failure rate than any other engine out there.

• Like 1

So should I call the dealership I got the car from to have it looked at?

Yours will have the new coolant pipe already.

the latest shape mk3.5 has a newer design pipe again.

• Like 1

So I shouldn't need to worry?

I don't have time this week to get car in for an inspection.

My recently collected mk3.5 1L 125bhp ecoboost does exactly the same buzzingg sound after parking the car at home. I guess it is normal.

Just bought a 2002 tdci eastate, now its just gone dark i cantsee thedash, looked in the manual and the dash dimmer slide control is under the light switch/Headlight dipper, but its not there!!!!!!

Where is it????

Regards

Lee

Rob, how is your brake? I think mine could be more stronger, if it won't improve I might pop back to the dealer for a check.

If its not under the light switch you don't have one

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club