Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 1.6 Ecoboost Turbo Whine?

Bulk

Hi.

The past couple of days I have noticed what sounds like a whistle noise.

I can only get it to happen a few times per journey and only in 1st or 2nd gear at low RPM and slight throttle on (about 5% throttle on). It sounds like the turbo spinning up but I never used to hear it. It is not always replicable but it seems to happen more often when I am pulling away from stationary and on slight inclines. If I slow down and drop down into 1st or 2nd I have never been able to replicate it.

If I pull away quickly with say 20% throttle of give it full beans there doesn't appear to be any whistle that I can hear and I havnt noticed any loss in power or anything else abnormal. Whenever I have heard the whistle it only lasts about a second or 2 and goes as I accelerate.

Considering I havnt heard this until now, is this normal behaviour of the turbo? Am I barking up the wrong tree and theres possibly something else causing the whistle?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Are you sure it is the turbo and not the clutch?

No im not sure of anything mate. Heard a whistle and just assumed it was the turbo.

Any tips to diagnose if its the clutch? That could make sense with it only happening in 1st and 2nd at low rpm when pulling away... As I said I can only get it to happen with very low throttle input. To be honest, I didn't even know the clutch could make a whistling sound. I assume that its not normal? Indicator of a clutch problem?

It has been known to make a whopping noise under load.

Hills seem to set it off more often...

On my old Mk3, 1.6 Ecoboost, I had a whistle sound approx. 2 - 2.5 RPM , Ford could not find it, I have seen a few similar issues, it has gone down as a resonance vibration sound. It never caused me any problems at all, Ford (Dealer) even added it to my file stating that if there was a problem they would honour any fix out of warranty.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. My 1.6 150 ecoboost focus does this too. I think it's something to do with the turbo not requiring full air pressure due to low throttle load and its 'blowing off' the excess air the turbo doesn't need to deliver the low amount of power you're asking for. Mines done this since i had it at 9500 miles, now on 22000 with no issues. Still pulls really well on hard acceleration and no dodgy noises.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎.‎10‎.‎2015 at 5:18 PM, Bulk said:

Hi.

The past couple of days I have noticed what sounds like a whistle noise.

I can only get it to happen a few times per journey and only in 1st or 2nd gear at low RPM and slight throttle on (about 5% throttle on). It sounds like the turbo spinning up but I never used to hear it. It is not always replicable but it seems to happen more often when I am pulling away from stationary and on slight inclines. If I slow down and drop down into 1st or 2nd I have never been able to replicate it.

If I pull away quickly with say 20% throttle of give it full beans there doesn't appear to be any whistle that I can hear and I havnt noticed any loss in power or anything else abnormal. Whenever I have heard the whistle it only lasts about a second or 2 and goes as I accelerate.

Considering I havnt heard this until now, is this normal behaviour of the turbo? Am I barking up the wrong tree and theres possibly something else causing the whistle?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi, I have the exactly same whisle problem described above. I havent got any idea if whisle is from clutch, turbo or alternator belt. Have you solved it somehow. please?