Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading From The Basic Stereo To The Sony Dab Unit

venarez

Hi There

I recently purchased a Sony DAB unit on eBay with the intention of upgrading my existing standard stereo. The Sony came off a 2012 fiesta as well so I figured it would be a straight swap (excluding the DAB aerial of course), oh how wrong was I! turns out the Sony unit has an extra 26 pin connector at the back as well as the additional aerial connector (see pic). It also doesn't have the usb plug the standard stereo has (though I'm not really fussed about that as I'm not gong to be using it).

So what I want to know is, what is this extra 26pin socket for? can I still use the newer stereo without it? is there some kind of funky franken-connector I need to make in order to get it to work? Or should I sack it off, sell the unit on eBay and find another solution?

Some help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've seen similar threads on this before but the other stereo involved was different from my standard one and so the solution doesn't seem to be the same

post-69089-0-46937700-1443967183_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. Did you manage to get an answer on this?

Nope, had no help on this at all. I'm currently attempting to flog the unit back on eBay. I would have thought someone would have some ideas

I have the exact same problem. Did you manage to get an answer on this?

A little research has made me think it is the connection to the bluetooth parrot device. But I'm going to do a bit more research when I finish work.

Your little research paid off a load more than my trawling forums for more time than I care to remember. Does that mean the bluetooth module is separate to the unit itself. I thought the extra rear plugs were for additional steering controls or different systems in the car (as you can control various car functions from the standard head unit, I figured you may be able to control more on the upgraded models, as there would be more to control)

The blue tooth module is mounted of the passenger side on the dash under pannel

The extra plug is for the bluetooth module, which is mounted on the panel below the glovebox. If you add it, you may need to get it programmed to the car.

• 6 months later...
On 10/4/2015 at 4:00 PM, venarez said:

Hi There

I recently purchased a Sony DAB unit on eBay with the intention of upgrading my existing standard stereo. The Sony came off a 2012 fiesta as well so I figured it would be a straight swap (excluding the DAB aerial of course), oh how wrong was I! turns out the Sony unit has an extra 26 pin connector at the back as well as the additional aerial connector (see pic). It also doesn't have the usb plug the standard stereo has (though I'm not really fussed about that as I'm not gong to be using it).

So what I want to know is, what is this extra 26pin socket for? can I still use the newer stereo without it? is there some kind of funky franken-connector I need to make in order to get it to work? Or should I sack it off, sell the unit on eBay and find another solution?

Some help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've seen similar threads on this before but the other stereo involved was different from my standard one and so the solution doesn't seem to be the same

2015-10-03 10.37.099.png

Did you manage to make it work ? I've got the same standard unit as yours with one 24PIN plug. If I plug only the left connector and of course the aerial on the Sony will it work? I don't need DAB.