Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Light Weirdness?

nathan28

Hi guys hope your all well

im truly sorry for bugging you all i know this has probably been covered so many times (and im not shy round Google, can normally find my answers) but im stuck as i have no idea how to google what help i need.

I have a 2000 plate 2.0 focus ghia, it has a trip computer which i use to a point, since ive owned the car some of the instrument lights haven't worked but didnt think much of it just assumed blown bulbs (traction control light which i know the bulb has blown got to change that and i thought fuel light as they have never illuminated)

However tonight i saw a video about the hidden menu, so i checked it out, and it turns out my low fuel light bulb works. But this is where i need some advice because it doesnt work when the car is low on fuel? ive only had it a couple of times where ive let the trip drop to 0 and the gauge is nearly bent round the needle, has anyone had this or could anyone guide on what this could be. I though that if the trip hit 50 miles left the fuel light would come on and it would beep, but i get nothing (obviously i havent trusted the fuel trip so i end up putting tons of fuel in when its not necessary) I just wanted to see if anyone could point to where i should look for this? im lost :)

Thanks guys and again sorry if this has been covered before

Nate

Hi Nate,

this sounds more like an electrical issue. If you fill the tank from the point where the needle is bending, how many litres is it to the top of the tank? Anything above 46 and I would say the likelyhood is a faulty sender unit, or, a bad connection on the rear of the cluster.

Anything below that, and I would say there is some issue with callibration. (presuming it is indeed a 52 / 53 litre tank.

The MK1 with trip computer does not have a low fuel warning light. The instrument cluster does have the light but it is not activate.

Basically the MK1 without trip computer does have a low fuel warning light and the MK1 with trip computer does only have the warning message of the trip computer.

• Like 1