Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 1.6 Focus Zetec Questions

Old George

Hi all,

I collected my new 2010 1.6 Focus Zetec (99 bhp) on Monday after part exchanging my old 2006 1.6 (115 bhp) Titanium.

I've noticed the temperature gauge gets up to normal level very quickly, probably within less than a mile from starting up, is this normal? My old Titanium would show a slow gradual rise over maybe three or four miles before reaching normal.

I've only noticed this over the past couple of days, car drives fine and temperature stays normal, checked fluid tank and level is normal, so has the heating efficiency been improve on these later models? Driving home last night after the car was stood for several hours, i got a steady stream of lukewarm air when i turned the fan on within a mile of starting up, pleased with that, but is it normal?

After collection on Monday i had a 60 mile drive and the temperature gauge was normal all the time.

And i noticed a small niggling fault (car is being returned to Trust Ford on Tuesday to have it checked), after starting the Focus up and driving off, there is an audible but dull 'thud' that appears to come from the front within 50 to 100 yards of setting off.

When i first heard it i discounted it as i assumed something in the boot may have moved, or maybe a small pothole in the road, but this light 'thud' is noticeable every time the car is started and driven this short distance, after that it does not does not reoccur until the car is started and driven again. Apart from this the car drives just fine, have you folks experienced this problem?

I have the same car.

Mind warms up quickly, certainly within 1 or 2 miles and a lot faster than the mrs' 1.2 TSI engine in her car, which surprised me.

The clunk may well be the ABS/braking system or maybe the central locking. I get a rattle/whirr from my dash (as opposed to the clunk) at about 10mph for the first time after engine start.

Sent from my XT1039

I have the same car.

Mind warms up quickly, certainly within 1 or 2 miles and a lot faster than the mrs' 1.2 TSI engine in her car, which surprised me.

The clunk may well be the ABS/braking system or maybe the central locking. I get a rattle/whirr from my dash (as opposed to the clunk) at about 10mph for the first time after engine start.

Sent from my XT1039

Hi jerzy,

On one occasion yesterday, i noticed a very slight vibration through the accelerator pedal that coincided with the 'thud'.

Thanks for the feedback on the temperature gauge. I'm not too concerned with the quick rise in temperature, more surprised than anything.

The thud is the ABS self test,it should only do it once.

The temperature gauge isn't a gauge. It's a glorified red light, it only has three positions. cold, not cold. and stop! it won't go anywhere else.

The thud as others have send is almost definitely the ABS check. My gauge behaves the same as your's. Stop worrying and enjoy your new car.

I'm like that whenever i get a new car i think every single creak or knock means the car's about to explode. Once you get used to the individual sounds that are normal for your car, you'll notice when they change.

Thanks guys, i didn't think it was a major problem, but i didn't have it on my old 90,000 mile 56 plate Titanium.

Should i still have it checked to be sure it is fine? And is this 'thud' normal on the later models when it didn't occur on the earlier models?

Get a clunk on mine after every engine start and driving > 12mph~ (if you're turning sharply or accelerate quickly through it, it may whirr/grind instead). You may hear a similar whirring/grinding when the esp/abs is activated - I've not noticed quite so much pedal pulsation as other vehicles ive driven. You may also see your lights dim slightly when it self tests.

Temp is up within a couple mins of driving normally.

The engine temperature shown on the temperature gauge is a calculated value by the PCM based on sensor data and not a real measured value. Because the temperature gauge is fully controlled by the software the values shown can be completely different from the real engine temperature. During normal conditions the needle of the temperature gauge will be in the middle and does not show any temperature fluctuations.

On the Focus MK2.5 the needle of the temperature gauge moves to the middle within a few miles. This suggests that the engine has already reached its normal temperature but in fact the engine is still cold. Basically this is just programmed into the software. Technically the temperature gauge can also show the real temperature but this will require reprogramming of the instrument cluster.

Interesting. What does an obd2 adaptor show in terms of coolant temperature? The cluster 'calculated' value or the real water temp?

Sent from my XT1039

So it appears to be normal? Thanks guys, just odd that the MK1 and the MK2 Titanium didn't exhibit this behaviour, so i assume the my MK2.5 has a totally new steering/ABS system compared to earlier models?

Trust Ford have arranged a courtesy car for Tuesday so i suppose i might as well take mine to be checked just for peace of mind.

Had the Focus checked today and it was the ABS system self test, so thankfully no problems with it.

Thanks for your replies Guys. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club