Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watchdog Powershift Problems

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 0:31 PM, Marshy1235 said:

Just finished watching Watchdog about the whole Vw emissions things . They are looking for new stories for next week . As mine isnt as bad i think we should start a complaint and write in to bbc watch dog about the powershift clutch problems and make watchdog investigate this more instead of ford brushing us customers off with "upgrade software " and just recall models affected and replace them with new clucthes anyone agree ?

I've gone the Trading Standards option instead, as mine powershifted it self from 2k to 5.5k for around 5 seconds, without myself pressing the accelerator or using the manual shift. Now have a battle with the supplying dealership, as I'm trying to reject the car. 8 weeks on from ownership. Would have been a lot easier within the 30 days after purchase.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52896-2013-fiesta-powershift-problems/

Thanks for that Marshy, Can you fill us in a bit more, Where did you hear about it and will the next step be the Dealers getting in touch.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 9:58 PM, Sportvan said:

Ford have a 5 year 100k warranty on powershit in the UK, the wife has a Focus titanium with this gearbox, and TBH if I knew it was going to be worse than a 90year old with dementia for selecting gears we wouldn't have bought the damn thing.

LOL :whip:

• 3 years later...

My powershift was brilliant when first got it at 30k miles, on 45k now and lurches into 3rd, judders in 2nd and flywheel rattles when coming off gas to coast to traffic lights etc so calling dealer to see if they shrug me off or help 🙂

• 9 months later...

I know this post is a few years old but has anyone had any issues resolved with their powershift problems? I have a 2018 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Auto, St Line (180 BHP) with the Ford powershift gearbox. It has covered 32,000 miles, mainly motorway. Since buying the car brand new from Ford I have had problems with my gearbox. When changing from 1st to 2nd gear I get crunching/juddering/stalling sensation where the gearbox loses power for about 2-3 seconds then comes back. I've had this on & off for nearly 2 years now during the whole period I have owned the car. It's been back to the Ford garage many times where they say they have changed the gearbox oil but cannot find any hard faults so there is nothing more they can do and the service Manager says it could be so many different things they don't know where to start looking.

It's now going back into the Ford garage (March 2020) and they are going to get someone to drive it for a period of time to see if they can replicate what is happening.

I've read many posts and articles regarding this issue with older models but nothing since 2016 so if anyone has had any issues resolved and they can tell me what was done it'd be much appreciated.

Mine's done 21k miles and is perfect.

• Thanks 1

Mine was juddery and jerky shortly after I got it (around 37k miles). I took it to the dealership and they wanted  almost 1200.00 quid to replace the clutch and reprogram the tcm. I bought a warranty when I got my car and they covered the whole repair. My repair was not covered by Ford at all. 

It's been great since.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this today from ford UK, is this acceptable? My issues have only just started but the car can be dangerous to drive.

Good Afternoon, 

Thank you for taking your time to contact us. 

Our obligation as a manufacturer is to repair or replace any part of your vehicle which fails as a result of a manufacturing defect whilst within the vehicle's warranty period; these repairs will be carried out at no charge by a Ford Dealership. We fully understand your disappointment at being faced with unexpected costs to repair your vehicle and whilst we are sympathetic to your situation; as your vehicle is now substantially outside of the manufacturer’s base warranty period, there is no obligation for Ford Motor Company to financially assist with costs incurred for repair.

Taking the information provided into consideration, we have reviewed your request internally and reached a decision; unfortunately, Ford Motor Company would not look to contribute towards the costs incurred for repair on this occasion.

Naturally, this will be a disappointment to you and regret falling short of your expectations.  Should you require assistance with another matter in the future please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Centre on either 0203 564 4444 or UKCRC1@FORD.COM.

Kind Regards, 
Beth Thomas 
Ford Customer Relationship Centre

• 3 weeks later...
Just finished watching Watchdog about the whole Vw emissions things . They are looking for new stories for next week . As mine isnt as bad i think we should start a complaint.

write in to bbc watch dog about the powershift clutch problems and make watchdog investigate this more instead of ford brushing us customers off with "upgrade software " and just recall models affected and replace them with new clucthes anyone agree ?

The worrying thing is that the Dealers don't seem to know anything about it.Surely in todays modern world Email etc.that would be Fords first step.Something doesn't seem right to me.

Oh they know about it; How could they not? They can't say anything is my guess.

I think I must have been lucky to buy one of the last Fiestas to be fitted with the powershift gearbox.   I wonder if they had got all the problems sorted out by the 2017 models as mine is absolutely fine.

I've not had any issues really, although a couple days ago while I was getting out onto a motorway, I had slowed to like 5mph, looked and then floored it to get out and the car revved and then dropped right into neutral. Guessing the TCM got confused or something. Been fine since but it was unnerving to say the least.

• 9 months later...

Hi, me and my friend bought two Ford Focus’ 2010 without viewing from Alperton Ford in London, because they were end of line products. One was silver, manual and one was black automatic! 
I was pressured by the sales man in 2013 to change to the new shape with the new ‘powershift’ automatic gearbox. The car was under warranty for three years and in that time if went back to ford 7 or 8 times to various different workshops, may I add for gearbox juddering problems! I paid £17,000 for a car to drive normally and I still have it as (one owner from new) and it feels like a piece of ***** to drive! Any other automatic or dsg car u drive seems beautiful, is there a call back for this gearbox in the UK? I know the mondeo in sane year suffered the same problem?

i would understand if I had bought the car second hand but Iv had it from new!

I bought the car new and as soon as u took your foot of the brake it juddered, then got fixed, then jumped in second, then I sent it back and they had not even tightened something up! I was turning left and my car was continuing straight!

then they changed my fly wheel, not impressed!!!!! Still shakes! When u pay £17,000 for a car which ur told is a ‘all new great automatic power shift ***** gearbox’ I expect it to work and work for more than a few years! 

fuming 😡, if anyone has any remedies I’m all ears!

• 10 months later...

Hi,
2 and a half years ago I bought my 2014 Ford Kuga SUV, I'm still paying for it, I have two years to finish paying for it.  A year ago it began to have a noise in the wheels and when they checked it they realized that it had lost several bolts of the transferbox and the gearbox, they placed them and apparently they were voted again and caused damage to the box.  I took it to a garage and they charged me only £ 1056 for telling me that the powershif and transferbox had been damaged and that I should buy a new one.  In short, your budget is £
6,500.  You can imagine how it looks since I still haven't paid for the SUV and now I don't have to move.

I would really appreciate any help.

Hello Marinely what engine do you have ?

You need to go to a Ford main dealer and get a proper assessment of what the real problems are. Bolts don't just fall out of gearboxes.

You don't say clearly what problem you have now (I guess you are not English) which makes it difficult to give advice on what is best to do.

I have an April 2017 Fiesta 100 with a powershift box.   The box is brilliant and I wouldn't part with it.

• 2 months later...

Hi All.  I know this post is fairly old, but hoping you can help.  The class action cases in USA, Canada etc all quote the DCT250 DSP6. Do the same issues apply to the DCT450 MPS6?  If so, would any extension on the warranty apply to both? 

Thanks