Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium 3-door + full bodykit Squeeze

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

http://i854.photobuc...0909_095101.jpg

http://i854.photobuc...170909_0951.jpg

Thanks for your help, managed it!

You can just about make out the strip between the wax residue.

I gotta say...that looks awful that strip. Maybe it's just me - but that looks like a real quick bodge-job afterthought! <_<

Worthing Paul: please tell me the 3-door doesn't look like that!?!?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 paulworthing

paulworthing

Ford Enthusiast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium S

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

Worthing Paul: please tell me the 3-door doesn't look like that!?!?

From memory, yes it looks just like that although when you have got rid of the wax from around the edges of it it does not stand out that much

TBH I would rather have that than loads of chips which could start to rust!

#18 Nightowl

Nightowl

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Ford Model: Titanium 3-door + full bodykit Squeeze

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

From memory, yes it looks just like that although when you have got rid of the wax from around the edges of it it does not stand out that much

TBH I would rather have that than loads of chips which could start to rust!

Hmm...

Okay. I will reserve judgement until the car gets delivered & I can take a good close-up look . I can see me peeling that strip off if it isn't totally invisible. I can live with a handful of tiny stone chips if I have to. That strip "appears" to stand out...although I understand the wax on & around it probably doesn't help. The strip kinda...well - ruins the smooth flowing lines?!?!

#19 DNStuff

DNStuff

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk6 Fiesta Zetec 1.4

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hmm...

Okay. I will reserve judgement until the car gets delivered & I can take a good close-up look . I can see me peeling that strip off if it isn't totally invisible. I can live with a handful of tiny stone chips if I have to. That strip "appears" to stand out...although I understand the wax on & around it probably doesn't help. The strip kinda...well - ruins the smooth flowing lines?!?!

Not half as much as rust will. I've seen these strips on another car where I work and they really aren't noticable unless you're looking for them. I wouldn't worry about it :) Also you can replace these strips quickly and cheaply if/when they get damaged, whereas a respray is never cheap. Also once part of the car starts to rust, it will always come back with quick respray fixes.

#20 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 Ti VCT Titanium
Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Does anyone know whether mudflaps are helpful with respect to the stone chip problem?

#21 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 2009

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Does anyone know whether mudflaps are helpful with respect to the stone chip problem?

Have had mudflaps fitted to my Fiesta since new, Just checked my car again for stone chips or marking in the area shown, nothing there at all, have had my Fiesta since March .

Looking at where the stone chips are Im guessing that the stones fly of the front tyre and not the back so the mud flaps could be having an effect, could it also be something to do with which size wheel you have and brand of tyre fitted.

#22 NathanS

NathanS

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4 Titanium (Vision Blue)
Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

Looking at where the chips are occurring I'm pretty sure this is down to the front tire shooting stones at the rear doors :angry:

#23 hendrix

hendrix

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Ford Model: fusion uk

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

08 ka's (old shape) alredy use these strips. ka's chip around the door areas as well.looked pretty crap on my wifes car but does offer protection from rust. some mazda's also use these. this is an accepted practice in the industry. hope you guys get the soloutions that you want.

#24 CHRISTOF

CHRISTOF

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

Have had mudflaps fitted to my Fiesta since new, Just checked my car again for stone chips or marking in the area shown, nothing there at all, have had my Fiesta since March .

Looking at where the stone chips are Im guessing that the stones fly of the front tyre and not the back so the mud flaps could be having an effect, could it also be something to do with which size wheel you have and brand of tyre fitted.

I had mudflaps fitted since new on my 5 door ,had a look nothing there at all

#25 meddyliol

meddyliol

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4i

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

http://i854.photobuc...0909_095101.jpg

http://i854.photobuc...170909_0951.jpg

Thanks for your help, managed it!

You can just about make out the strip between the wax residue.

I contacted my local Ford dealers and they said that as my car was made in July the strips couldn't be fitted after leaving the factory. The only suggestion they came up with is to fit mudguards. Does anyone know how much they are? Can they be fitted by me? (I am quite handy).

Brian

#26 meddyliol

meddyliol

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4i

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

No chips visible on my car but looks like Ford should call all Fiesta's back to a dealer for these strips to be fitted, could save themselves a lot of repaint costs, as if it is a design fault then all Fiesta's are effected not just a small number as stated in their bulletin......

It appears that they cannot be fitted after leaving the factory. My car was made in July (picked up last Monday) it hasn't got the strips and they cannot be fitted, so says my local Ford dealer. They suggested that I have mudflaps fitted at my cost of course.

Brian :angry:

#27 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 2009

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

I contacted my local Ford dealers and they said that as my car was made in July the strips couldn't be fitted after leaving the factory. The only suggestion they came up with is to fit mudguards. Does anyone know how much they are? Can they be fitted by me? (I am quite handy).

Brian

To give you an idea these prices are From the dealdrivers site Mudflaps (supplied) 51 Mudflaps (supplied and fitted)102, the information supplied earlier in this thread would seem to indicate these new foils are fittable by a dealer.

#28 MichellefromEssex

MichellefromEssex

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec S Mountune
Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

I checked my car over this afternoon and thankfully no stone chips yet - have had the car for nearly 10 months now.

#29 xxtrickzxx

xxtrickzxx

Fetish for fords

• PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Name: trev
  • Ford Model: focus st3 wagon
  • Year: 2013

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

10 months and not a stonechip! thats good going ive repaired 4 now in 5 months,2 on the bumper,a big fat one smack bang in the middle of the bonnet and 1 on the alloy which i am still struggling to find a silver to match it :(

#30 TonyEssex

TonyEssex

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 (on order)

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

I got told by a guy in the know that the bigger the wheels the more chance of the chipping effect on the side skirts

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users