Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Instrument Cluster Swap

iantt

Thanks iantt for you help, muchly appreciated and I'm defo gonna source one to swap with my more basic setup. I am gonna have to look hard for one with lower mileage than mine. Though mine has 37000 on the clock. Thanks again

Your keen to mod your car and you havent even got it yet! :)

Yeah that's the best way matey. My main focus is the Sony head unit and the speedo. I love the look of them on the titanium spec focus. But I also love the Zetec s body kit too. Such a tough decision to pick one but I'm happy with my choice.

A genuine VCM and FORD IDS costs thousands and you need to pay an annual fee of hundreds of pounds too. A clone VCM with the IDS software is cheaper by a long shot although some clones are said to be better or worse than others. Expect to pay around £100 for a decent VCM clone and ideally you will need a laptop running window 7 32bit at the most for it to work OK.

However an ELM 327 modifies interface and Elmconfig will allow swapping the cluster for a fraction of the cost of the VCM clone setup.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 13/10/2015 at 10:52 AM, iantt said:

Just thought I would mention a quick mod to those with small monochrome display in instrument cluster.

Just swapped in a larger tft cluster, plug and play apart from writing in my higher current mileage. Doing that next.

1444729878245.jpg

1444729902765.jpg

Sorry to ressurect this, just got a dash from same year car with the bigger screen.

if it just swap it, will it work forgetting the mileage for a minute, or does it need software updates?

I was going to do this but I can't justify paying my local Ford dealer £120 to change a few numbers 

£120!!! Crikey,only takes 5 mins to do on IDs.

23 minutes ago, iantt said:

£120!!! Crikey,only takes 5 mins to do on IDs.

I told them this they said it's £80 to plug in and £40 for labour, fair to say I walked out, the only thing I can think of doing is buy a cluster and when my mileage hits the new clusters mileage fit it then xD 

• Haha 2

Can it not be done with Forscan?

£80 to plug it in is a joke, it doesn't cost them anything on a per use basis.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Can it not be done with Forscan?

£80 to plug it in is a joke, it doesn't cost them anything on a per use basis.

Apparently Forscan and Focccus only allow up to 1000 miles anything above IDS has to be used

The original FoCCCus software has the 1000 miles limitation. To solve this I removed the 1000 Miles limitation and made a modified version of the FoCCCus software. My version can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43j09bhrl4ngwb5/FoCCCus 0.8.6 Modified Edition.rar?dl=0

Note that wit my modified version the mileage can only be changed upwards. The Ford IDS software can also only change the mileage upwards so a Ford dealer can not change it downwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

The original FoCCCus software has the 1000 miles limitation. To solve this I removed the 1000 Miles limitation and made a modified version of the FoCCCus software. My version can be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43j09bhrl4ngwb5/FoCCCus 0.8.6 Modified Edition.rar?dl=0

Note that wit my modified version the mileage can only be changed upwards. The Ford IDS software can also only change the mileage upwards so a Ford dealer can not change it downwards.

Thanks! What a life saver will find my self a decent cluster soon :D

5 hours ago, JW1982 said:

What lead would you recommend and is it easy to reprogram the mileage? Found one 20k less than mine and need to right it

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2017 at 2:57 PM, JW1982 said:

Although I've been following this great forum since I bought my Mk3, I had to sign up just to say thank you JW1982. 

I managed to get my hands on a TFT cluster from a totalled Titanium over a year ago, but never managed to change the mileage on the cluster. Here in Brazil there were very few dealers who said yes to changing the mileage for me, most never even considered doing that, and all of those few wanted a fee for doing so (the cheapest one wanted R$ 300,00 for the job, and there was one who wanted R$ 600,00, almost four times what I paid for the cluster).

Thanks to you guys, I managed to do it all for free (or almost, if you consider the modified ELM I bought off eBay UK).

Now I managed to solve the one thing I never could accept in my beloved Mk3. Paying over R$ 70000,00 on a (fenomenal) car with that tiny display was always something that bothered me, and now, again, thanks to you, it's not an issue anymore.

Thank you all very much and I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi googled cluster upgrade and this forum/topic was top of the list. I can see a larger screen cluster that has 11k miles more than my current titanium if I get it how do I upgrade the software for better colours etc. And can anyone point me in the direction to an idiots guid on changing the mileage. 

Also wouldn't mind adding the nav unit would that be a simple case of swapping the head unit. Currently have the Sony unit in and that has a small none colour display in compared to a friends who's is bigger and has colour 

thanks

iantt, since this thread has been bumped anyway, how did you manage to get the updated colour scheme? I have an original full TFT, upgraded to latest firmware with the odo in the top left, and added sat nav but still got the old colours.

Think I changed the cluster config to a different spec somehow, any way I didn't like it as it didn't look right compared to the sat Nav screen so changed it back.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Think I changed the cluster config to a different spec somehow, any way I didn't like it as it didn't look right compared to the sat Nav screen so changed it back.

thanks for getting back to me - I'll give it a miss as I was already thinking that!

6 hours ago, vibeone said:

iantt, since this thread has been bumped anyway, how did you manage to get the updated colour scheme? I have an original full TFT, upgraded to latest firmware with the odo in the top left, and added sat nav but still got the old colours.

How did you add sat nav. I've tried looking on eBay for a nav unit but can't find one. 

On 09/02/2017 at 4:57 PM, JW1982 said:

Once I've downloaded the software what else would I need I presume a cable?  Can get my hands on a cluster with the large screen from same car as mine and only has 8000 miles on mine has 33k 

33 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

How did you add sat nav. I've tried looking on eBay for a nav unit but can't find one. 

theres another topic somewhere on this forum about sat nav fitting.

12 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

Once I've downloaded the software what else would I need I presume a cable?  Can get my hands on a cluster with the large screen from same car as mine and only has 8000 miles on mine has 33k 

yep, you need an elm 327 cable , preferably usb, got a link a few posts previous