• Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members


iantt

Mk3 Instrument Cluster Swap

Recommended Posts

 

11 hours ago, iantt said:

that link was an old one. try this

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com

Thanks. Been browsing this forum a bit lately and you sure seem to know your stuff. Will have a look for the topics about Nav unit. 

Going to scrappy Saturday see what I can find. Is the modified software on here for the mileage easy to use ? Will download tonight and have a look about

 

thanks for all the help

IMG_8229.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

How did you add sat nav. I've tried looking on eBay for a nav unit but can't find one. 

I found one on ebay.  I needed an early version which has support for BT/VC nokia system (pre-Sync).  If you have 2 direction pads on the steering wheel (And volume below opposite cruise), you have an early vehicle and will need a sat nav display from a 2011/12 vehicle.  Older ones will work, but your bluetooth won't work anymore.

So basically.. just luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vibeone said:

I found one on ebay.  I needed an early version which has support for BT/VC nokia system (pre-Sync).  If you have 2 direction pads on the steering wheel (And volume below opposite cruise), you have an early vehicle and will need a sat nav display from a 2011/12 vehicle.  Older ones will work, but your bluetooth won't work anymore.

So basically.. just luck!

Thanks. Yes browsing this forum I think I've came to the conclusion I'm on sync 1 and my friends screen I mentioned earlier seams to be sync 1.1 as he has bluetooth track info and the symbols on the left of his screen. 

 

Going to change my cluster for larger screen version. And check my local scrap yard for a 5" Sony display for radio then reprogram the unit to accept the 5" screen. 

 

Hope its as straightforward as that lol 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Thanks. Yes browsing this forum I think I've came to the conclusion I'm on sync 1 and my friends screen I mentioned earlier seams to be sync 1.1 as he has bluetooth track info and the symbols on the left of his screen. 

 

Going to change my cluster for larger screen version. And check my local scrap yard for a 5" Sony display for radio then reprogram the unit to accept the 5" screen. 

 

Hope its as straightforward as that lol 

 

The display will work by just swapping it, but you do need to update the CCC for best effect - navigation echo's onto the dash cluster which looks cool AF :) I believe the Sync version doesn't matter, and actually an early "non-sync" will work with Sync.  It's just the later ones don't have BT/VC functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vibeone said:

The display will work by just swapping it, but you do need to update the CCC for best effect - navigation echo's onto the dash cluster which looks cool AF :) I believe the Sync version doesn't matter, and actually an early "non-sync" will work with Sync.  It's just the later ones don't have BT/VC functionality.

Exscuse my ignorance but what's CCC lol

i was under the impression I would have to change the settings from a 4.3 screen to a 5?

any tips on what to look for to make sure the screen will work

IMG_8232.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Exscuse my ignorance but what's CCC lol

i was under the impression I would have to change the settings from a 4.3 screen to a 5?

any tips on what to look for to make sure the screen will work

IMG_8232.JPG

Like I said, if you definitely have Sync, you don't need to worry - I think any will work.

CCC is Central Configuration.  IE: FoCCCus :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2015 at 1:26 PM, JW1982 said:

Technically all European Focus MK3 instrument clusters are compatible. There are only differences between Petrol or Diesel and KM/H or MPH.

MK3.5 Instrument clusters have different firmware which is not fully compatible with the MK3. A Focus MK3.5 instrument cluster can be used on a MK3 but only after the firmware has been downgraded to MK3 firmware. This is officially not supported by Ford and I suspect that no Ford dealer will do this.

The USA MK3 instrument clusters are also not fully compatible with the European MK3. A USA Focus MK3 instrument cluster can be used on A European MK3 but again only after the correct European firmware has been installed.

Just looking back at this thread and I've checked the cluster I was going to get and it (description below) will this work with my mk3 is a 2016 focus not mk3.5? What would happen if I put the 3.5 in

THIS PART IS FROM A 2016 FORD FOCUS 1.0 ECOBOOST PETROL, 5 DOOR HATCHBACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX. JDS REF - 030 

FITS: FOCUS 2011 - 2016 MK3 WITH PETROL ENGINES,MESSAGE CENTRE MPH

PART NUMBER F1ET-10849-BKK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CCC = Central Car Configuration.

The Central Car Configuration system is basically just a configuration file which includes almost all configuration settings of the car. Most (CANbus) modules of the car are automatically configured using the CCC data.

The CCC system consists of a main CCC data file and a backup CCC data file. On the Focus MK3/MK3.5 the main CCC data file is stored inside the BCMII (or simply BCM). The backup CCC data file is stored inside the IPC (instrument cluster).

The CCC data can be changed with a suitible diagnostic system. 

 

The older bluetooth/Voicecontrol based FCDIM modules are different from the newer SYNC 1.0 / SYNC 1.1 based FCDIM modules. bluetooth/Voicecontrol and SYNC based FCDIM modules are not interchangeable. 

When changing the FCDIM the new one must be of the same system as the original one. If the car has the SYNC 1.0 / SYNC 1.1 system the new FCDIM needs to be based on the SYNC system. An older bluetooth/Voicecontrol based FCDIM will not work correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

Just looking back at this thread and I've checked the cluster I was going to get and it (description below) will this work with my mk3 is a 2016 focus not mk3.5? What would happen if I put the 3.5 in

THIS PART IS FROM A 2016 FORD FOCUS 1.0 ECOBOOST PETROL, 5 DOOR HATCHBACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX. JDS REF - 030 

FITS: FOCUS 2011 - 2016 MK3 WITH PETROL ENGINES,MESSAGE CENTRE MPH

PART NUMBER F1ET-10849-BKK

 

Part number F1ET-10849-BKK is a MK3.5 instrument cluster. A MK3.5 instrument cluster is not fully compatible with the MK3.

When installing a MK3.5 instrument cluster into a MK3 the PDC and Active Park Assist functions will no longer work correctly. Next to this the interior/instrument backlight dimming function will no longer work. 

Another point of concern is the color scheme. A MK3.5 instrument cluster has the newer dark color scheme which does not match with the color scheme of the FCDIM.

 

A MK3.5 instrument cluster is technically identical to the MK3 instrument cluster. The only differences are the hardware and software version numbers. When installing a MK3.5 instrument cluster into a Focus MK3 the software needs to be changed. However because of the different hardware version number A MK3.5 instrument cluster is not recognised as a suitible part for a Focus MK3. Because of this it is not possible to update the software using the Ford IDS/FRDS system. 

The only way to load the correct (MK3) software onto a MK3.5 instrument cluster is by selecting the proper software files manually. However there are very few diagnosic systems that are able to do this. The FoCCCus software for example has this functionality. However most MK3.5 instrument cluster hardware versions are not supported by the FoCCCus software.

You should also be aware that updating the software of a Level 3 (full color) instrument cluster using the FoCCCus software and a high quality ELM327 interface takes a long time. At the maximum supported Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps the update procedure takes approximately 24 Hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Part number F1ET-10849-BKK is a MK3.5 instrument cluster. A MK3.5 instrument cluster is not fully compatible with the MK3.

When installing a MK3.5 instrument cluster into a MK3 the PDC and Active Park Assist functions will no longer work correctly. Next to this the interior/instrument backlight dimming function will no longer work. 

Another point of concern is the color scheme. A MK3.5 instrument cluster has the newer dark color scheme which does not match with the color scheme of the FCDIM.

 

A MK3.5 instrument cluster is technically identical to the MK3 instrument cluster. The only differences are the hardware and software version numbers. When installing a MK3.5 instrument cluster into a Focus MK3 the software needs to be changed. However because of the different hardware version number A MK3.5 instrument cluster is not recognised as a suitible part for a Focus MK3. Because of this it is not possible to update the software using the Ford IDS/FRDS system. 

The only way to load the correct (MK3) software onto a MK3.5 instrument cluster is by selecting the proper software files manually. However there are very few diagnosic systems that are able to do this. The FoCCCus software for example has this functionality. However most MK3.5 instrument cluster hardware versions are not supported by the FoCCCus software.

You should also be aware that updating the software of a Level 3 (full color) instrument cluster using the FoCCCus software and a high quality ELM327 interface takes a long time. At the maximum supported Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps the update procedure takes approximately 24 Hours. 

Right I'll scrap the idea of buying that 1 and stick to finding one from a 2013 focus in my local scrap yard. Hope they have plenty lol

 

going Saturday to see if I can pick a cluster up, parking module and camera module along with a 5" nav screen. 

Out of curiosity where would you find the software files. Are they on focccus ? 

 

Thanks for the the detailed explanation by the way. Much appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The official software can be downloaded from the motorcraft website. However to be able to download the software you need to know the exact software numbers of the software you need.

The software for the Level 3 instrument cluster for example consists of 3 different software files. A Calibration file, a Strategy file and a Pictures file. These software files need to be loaded into the instrument cluster in the correct sequence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The official software can be downloaded from the motorcraft website. However to be able to download the software you need to know the exact software numbers of the software you need.

The software for the Level 3 instrument cluster for example consists of 3 different software files. A Calibration file, a Strategy file and a Pictures file. These software files need to be loaded into the instrument cluster in the correct sequence.  

Thanks mate. Sounds like something a novice shouldn't attempt ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean a MK2 fl (MK2.5) ??

In that case no it won't. The MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster is not even connected to the same CANbus network as the MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster. The MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster is connected to the MS (mid speed) CANbus network. The MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster is connected to the HS (high speed) CANbus network. Next to this the MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster is part of the PATS immobilizer system and the MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster is not part of the PATS system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

You mean a MK2 fl (MK2.5) ??

In that case no it won't. The MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster is not even connected to the same CANbus network as the MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster. The MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster is connected to the MS (mid speed) CANbus network. The MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster is connected to the HS (high speed) CANbus network. Next to this the MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster is part of the PATS immobilizer system and the MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster is not part of the PATS system.

some one stole the 2 lol

ok glad i never bought one then. do you think the needles  would fit mk2 fl clocks ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know the needles of most Ford instrument clusters are interchangeable. The only thing to keep in mind is that there may be difference in the length of the needles.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

As far as I know the needles of most Ford instrument clusters are interchangeable. The only thing to keep in mind is that there may be difference in the length of the needles.

 

 

i understand that yeah would like my needles to light up blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only that I’ve got the 5” nav screen dash surround,radio and Sony nav facia along with Maps SD. Not sure what version but delivered for £180 along with the parking sensor loom, sensors and module for £40 just need to spray them from blue to black. Been a busy morning. And will be a busy weekend if it all comes before then. 

Thanks for all the input people. Been brilliant help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now