Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Led Lights In The House

jace1969

Does anyone use these bulbs in the house,like £8 area for 1 and what they like.

Do they give a better light than the energy saving ones that we have now,ours are

like a tint of yellow and i want as close to daylight as i can get,i have tried higher wattage.

What fittings? GU10 spotlights or screw, bayonet etc?

I have seen the bayonet ones in wicks for £8 or £9.99 for the brighter ones.

I have to get a special bulb today for the bathroom and seen these ones.

There is a reason for this,im a carer and the light is on all night and a yellow tint don't give a true picture.

Also power saving as good as i can get.

If you can understand,i know i wont get a 100% one but closer i can get,even a top energy one.

My husband has changed near on all our bulbs for led, the light is good and bright and they pop on instantly rather than have to warm up like regular energy savers. Our living room has 5 tiny g4 bulbs similar to those found in the car! And they defo light up the room without it looking like blackpool too :lol:

Cheaper LEDs don't seem to last long. We've had most of our GU10s to Philips LED which give out a good light and none have failed yet.

In the lamps and other fittings we have Philips energy savers, most are over 4 years old now and are on for 5 or more hours a night, and none have failed yet. In fact I just bought some more to keep as spares!

Energy savers are cheaper to buy than LEDs, and will probably last as long as them too so long as they are a decent make like Philips and are not turned on and off a lot during the day. They much prefer just being left on for hours.

Does anyone use these bulbs in the house,like £8 area for 1 and what they like.

Do they give a better light than the energy saving ones that we have now,ours are

like a tint of yellow and i want as close to daylight as i can get,i have tried higher wattage.

Yup use them in the kitchen area. Cool White is close to daylight were as warm white is slightly more yellow

I have these all over my flat in spotlight fittings, but made the mistake of buying cheap Chinese ones and they are all gradually failing now that they are almost 2 years old. The light from them is good but too focused on one direction as you would expect from LEDs.

I'd stick with standard energy saving bulbs if you can find them for the fittings you have. I have one in a lamp that is on all the time when I'm at home, and it's still going strong after nearly 3 years. Also I have a couple of Philips energy-savers which turn on instantly, no warm up at all on modern ones.

• Like 1

Philips 4.5W (50W) 3000K 36D Warm White GU10 LED Spot Light bulbs (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MB5XVJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_STpjwb681SM3D

These are good. Bright, give off a warm but good light (they are between warm white and cold white) and so far haven't had any blow. (We have about 12 in the house, oldest are about a year old)

Much better than halogens, don't get hot, give off more light and use 90% less power.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any good places to get the bayonet ones,we have philips in now all over the house.

Just changed a few of them to the Philips extra light ones and bedroom where i need it

a 20w so it's a ( 95w) and the tornado one,great light and bright but a yellow ish being 'warm white' but whiter

than the over ones i have being they are a lot lower watt.

I would like to try a LED one but a good watt one then i can compare the 2.

I've noticed my cheap rubbish LED Bulbs get very hot to the touch, so hot you wouldn't want to handle them when they've been on for a while. That's probably why they're failing, and all that heat won't be good for the cheap components inside lol.

Edit: as for the colour temps, I tried some really white ones but didn't like them. I prefer a warmer yellowish colour in a house although I like my headlights to be a whiter colour.

I have loads of LED's, the problem is, I dont have an electrical system in the bathroom to support them. They use halogen spots, and so they dont play ball with the drop down voltage...

• Like 1

I have 3 GU10 LEDs in my bedroom. They cost me £8 each and so far only one has failed. It started to flicker out of the blue and then died :(

The other two are still fine, 10 months later

• Like 1

^ I had the same thing, they start to flicker after they heat up which gets gradually worse, until it gets so annoying that they need replacing. So I now have a pile of about 10 faulty LED Bulbs and half of the light fittings are empty from moving those still working to where I need them. The problem is I need a total of 24 spotlight bulbs for the whole flat, and it's only a 1 bed flat lol.

• Like 1

So what would you say the way to go.

A good halogen one like i have now and stick with the slight yellow or a whiter one like a LED.

See closer to the normal light (daylight) is good for me at night as i can see a better picture on what i

have to look at as yellow makes it that bit darker,all i want is not so much as pure white just close to daylight.

So what would you say the way to go.

A good halogen one like i have now and stick with the slight yellow or a whiter one like a LED.

See closer to the normal light (daylight) is good for me at night as i can see a better picture on what i

have to look at as yellow makes it that bit darker,all i want is not so much as pure white just close to daylight.

You can get warm and cold LEDs.. so I've you've got the money upfront, go LED and save in the future

Also, for those of you with 500w~ floodlights, I recently acquired 10x 30W 5600K LED Flood lights. These things are stupidly bright for the power they consume. They also do a PIR variant. I can send you a link if you message me

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go to an electrical wholesalers (independents are better) they will have a better range, be cheaper, may give discount depending on how many you buy and should have some on display for you to see them working.

• Like 2

Go to an electrical wholesalers (independents are better) they will have a better range, be cheaper, may give discount depending on how many you buy and should have some on display for you to see them working.

That's probably a good idea for me as I want to replace all 24 of the bulbs I have.

• Like 1

Try eBay, I've found listing in rhe past for those philips bulbs I posted, that get cheaper the more packs you buy...

Worth having a look around. Try and stick to a reputable make. IIRC the Philips ones have a 2 year warranty and £5 a bulb is not too expensive for an LED.

• Like 2

Found a good deal on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halogen-Equivalent-120%C2%B0Beam-Recessed-Lighting/dp/B00LN0RRZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445378619&sr=8-1&keywords=led+spotlight

Just over £2 per bulb and they are by Lighting Ever which seems to be a good brand. I have a small LED torch made by them and it's really sturdy and well made.

Edit: ordered 5 of those so will see how they turn out.

Would be interested in your thoughts on them! I was previously put off by them as I wasn't keen on the design. I just bought Philips instead as I wanted to stick to what I know. (Creature of habit) :lol:

Other good thing about the Philips ones are they fit perfectly in the light. Some other LEDs I've tried haven't 'slotted' in properly.

• Like 1

See the thing is i need the normal std light bulb fitting,

The one i have tried in the bedroom, i have 1 for £2.99 from wicks.

I have seen the daylight one in this type but was seeing how the LED would be.

The link is below,very good light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Philips-Tornado-20W-95W-B22-Warm-White-Spiral-Energy-Saving-Bulbs-/321773426879?hash=item4aeb30d8bf:g:BokAAOSwNSxVbxzQ

Tbh if you're happy with the Tornado, why don't you just get another? It will probably be cheaper and you know what to expect.

Tbh if you're happy with the Tornado, why don't you just get another? It will probably be cheaper and you know what to expect.

Thats true m8 and i will try the daylight one but seen the LED ones and was seeing if anyone had them

and how good they are being a lot more to buy.

I know you will never get the same as daylight,i have to look at and check on a night stuff so a clear picture is

a lot better in many ways,you would not believe how a slight yellow tint make things look darker.

• Like 1

I got the new LED lights and they've exceeded my expectations :). Very bright and with a nice warm light (got the 3000K ones, but also available in 6000K). The most impressive thing is the beam angle, which is advertised at 120° but is closer to 180°. It looks like LE have invented an LED which shines evenly in all directions lol. Here are a couple of photos, the first one is just one spotlight aimed straight down, and you can see how good the beam angle is:

post-39031-0-01346400-1445539429_thumb.j

post-39031-0-07371800-1445539433_thumb.j

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halogen-Equivalent-120%C2%B0Beam-Recessed-Lighting/dp/B00LN0RPA4/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WW0JGWD5CGX6XCBARNM

• Like 2

They look good! From the pics they look about the same brightness as the Philips ones (also 3000K)

For reference here are the Philips ones in my (albeit tiny) en suite:

post-53371-0-25010200-1445551601_thumb.j

Pretty good light for just two bulbs and they've been fine in the 6 months they've been installed. The previous LEDs that were put in when the bathroom was built failed after just three months!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club