Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus - Acceptable Coolant Level Drop?

That Guy

Just wanting peoples opinion on what they think an acceptable amount of coolant loss in a Focus?

I purchased the car at the start of July and topped the coolant up to the max line in the reservoir. Checking it tonight the coolant is half way between the max and min amount. Would this be normal?

I can't see any leaks I am aware of, temp holds bang in the middle even in traffic. I have even checked under the oil filler cap for the head gasket gunk but it is clear.

I have not had any signs that there is a problem but I did't think the coolant would drop that much in just over 3 months?

The coolant when cold should be between the min and max level.When at working temperature the coolant level can be at the maximum level due to expansion.If you are topping up to the max when cold maybe you are overfilling,just a thought.I've owned my MK1 for five years and haven't needed to do a top up.Maybe I m lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Same here.

Only time I needed to top it up is when the thermostat housing cracked. Common fault.

Look behind the alternator.

A new coolant cap is always a good start, they are designed to be a pressure relief valve, so a weak cap could cause some coolant being lost due to evaporation or steam.

Any engine should not really lose any coolant as the system should be sealed so any more loss than that and you would be looking for some sort of leak.

Thermostat housing gets my vote.

Coolant cap should be changed every two years but they never Are no coolant should be lost do no coolant loss I acceptable

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club