• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Fordmainman

Fordmainman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium x

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

What about the heated seat switch? Is there anyone out there with it? Funny why it's not on my car with the full leather - and you cant specify heated on the ford options list - can you?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 tangotwo

tangotwo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.25 5 Door

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:14 AM

Sure it does - it's just integrated into the Info Centre, rather than being on a seperate dial.

There is no indication of coolant temperature which can be very useful. An "Engine Overheating" message is no better than a warning light as it only appears after something has gone seriously wrong. :o

#18 Focus_ST-3

Focus_ST-3

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk2
Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

There is no indication of coolant temperature which can be very useful. An "Engine Overheating" message is no better than a warning light as it only appears after something has gone seriously wrong. :o

You are right, the XF has no engine temp gauge. it is actually a feature which i miss from my last car.

#19 Focus_ST-3

Focus_ST-3

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk2
Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

What about the heated seat switch? Is there anyone out there with it? Funny why it's not on my car with the full leather - and you cant specify heated on the ford options list - can you?

On the fuse diagram in the fuse box, there are spaces for the heated seat fuses. My guess would be that Ford have left the option of heated seats available to them using the existing wiring for future models (maybe the ST) or other markets where the demand for heated seats is greater.

#20 TurboZutek

TurboZutek

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Ford Model: New Fiesta
Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, by the time it's on you've seen the steam from the bonnet, I think! :huh:

Also:

http://www.cars.com/...ection=features

Engine temperature gauge
A gauge that displays the engine temperature.

Says the XF does indeed have an engine temperature gauge. Could just be enabled / disabled for different markets, of course? (I wonder what features will be enabled on the US version of the Fiesta when it arrives there? Pretty sure the Yanks won't put up with stuff like skipping MP3s and shoddy bluetooth.)

Chris...

#21 tangotwo

tangotwo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.25 5 Door

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, by the time it's on you've seen the steam from the bonnet, I think! :huh:

Also:

http://www.cars.com/...ection=features

Engine temperature gauge
A gauge that displays the engine temperature.

Says the XF does indeed have an engine temperature gauge. Could just be enabled / disabled for different markets, of course? (I wonder what features will be enabled on the US version of the Fiesta when it arrives there? Pretty sure the Yanks won't put up with stuff like skipping MP3s and shoddy bluetooth.)

Chris...

It's wrong. I can assure you there is no way to enable a a non existent temperature gauge. I owned a 2.7D XF for one year and my present 3.0D S for six months. Why would Jaguar disable such a useful facility?

#22 TurboZutek

TurboZutek

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

It's wrong. I can assure you there is no way to enable a a non existent temperature gauge.

No one's talking about a non-existant temperature gauge (?).

I'll repeat what I've already said: the temperature gauge is (where enabled) part of the INFO CENTRE digital readout - and is displayed on the INFO CENTRE and ENTERTAINMENT screen. A manufacturer can put ANYTHING they like there; all it takes is a few lines of code. It's not a 'needle and scale' physical readout, but a computer generated virtual one.

This is even obvious on the Fiesta, where a quick unlock of the dash (hold the trip reset for 10 seconds on start up) enables the full readout of engine temperature. It's there on the Fiesta - it's just not ENABLED by default so you can't see it without the unlock.

Why they have done this - is anyone's guess, but I'd figure to reduce the cost of producing a section about it in the manual. I would also theorise that most people who don't know any better would swamp the support lines for Ford, asking 'is 90'c OK... It sounds a bit hot' etc etc That's valuable support lines which they need to handle calls on indicators not cancelling, MP3s skipping and 5-doors getting stone chips.

Chris...

#23 blade

blade

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name: Robert
  • Ford Model: Fiesta mk7
  • Year: 2009

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

wait,you start the car up,hold the trip reset button,and the engine temperature readout enables...does it stay on,or do you need to do that every time you start??

#24 TurboZutek

TurboZutek

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

wait,you start the car up,hold the trip reset button,and the engine temperature readout enables...does it stay on,or do you need to do that every time you start??

Not only the engine temperature - but a whole wealth of diagnostic aids. Step through them with the trip reset button.

Indeed it DOES reset when the ignition is turned off, but the point I'm making is the functionality is all there already in software: it just needs enabled by a dealer or 3rd party (who know what they are doing) to become a permenant display as part of the info centre readouts.

It's no different in any modern car, to be honest. When I go to Canada, the Ford Fusion I drive (essentially a UK Ford Mondeo) has a crap load of extra information available by trip computer. Its the same computer, same software, same person driving: the only difference is that Ford chose to enable these features on the Canadian model and NOT on the UK one.

The days of installing extra hardware, buttons, dials and knobs to get a car to perform a basic function like temperature readout are well and truly over; you just enable the software through the configuration. It's a good thing! :lol:

Chris...

#25 Fordmainman

Fordmainman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium x

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

Not only the engine temperature - but a whole wealth of diagnostic aids. Step through them with the trip reset button.

Indeed it DOES reset when the ignition is turned off, but the point I'm making is the functionality is all there already in software: it just needs enabled by a dealer or 3rd party (who know what they are doing) to become a permenant display as part of the info centre readouts.

It's no different in any modern car, to be honest. When I go to Canada, the Ford Fusion I drive (essentially a UK Ford Mondeo) has a crap load of extra information available by trip computer. Its the same computer, same software, same person driving: the only difference is that Ford chose to enable these features on the Canadian model and NOT on the UK one.

The days of installing extra hardware, buttons, dials and knobs to get a car to perform a basic function like temperature readout are well and truly over; you just enable the software through the configuration. It's a good thing! :lol:

Chris...

I couldnt get this to work :(

It just reset the mpg trip.

#26 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

I can get my trip computer to show 'test' by holding the reset button as I start it - but nothing more.

I'm also wrong, I don't have a glovebox light.

#27 TurboZutek

TurboZutek

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

I can get my trip computer to show 'test' by holding the reset button as I start it - but nothing more.

That's correct - now step through the tests by pressing the trip reset - engine temp is item 12.

Search the site for 'Dash Unlock' for more information on that - there's a thread somewhere.

Chris...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users