Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Mondeo Titanium X Usb Port Problem

BlaizeFM

Hi everyone

I've done a bit of searching here and can't find any posts relevant to mine; apologies if I am repeating something.

I have recently bought a 2011 Mondeo Titanium X ( Sony DAB ). The USB audio port is accessed via the glove box. However, the port doesn't recognise any devices. I've tried various USB flash drives (all formatted as FAT32), along with an iPod Classic. In all instances the USB option is not available on the dashboard screen (it is there in gray, but not selectable).

I think this is down to the USB port and the fact devices don't seem to fit correctly - they don't push in and sit in the way as you would expect a USB device to. I've had a look (as best I can, the port is not in the most visible places) and can't see any obstructions. I would say that the devices _just about_ fit, but does feel a bit wobbly.

My first question is; is this fit as expected? If so I can eliminate it from my troubleshooting. If not, is the port easily replaced?

The other option is some form of reboot or reset available on the sony?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Could be a cable has come lose. The USB port is connected by a cable to a bluetooth module. All of this sits behind the glovebox. If you remove the glove box (4 screws at the front and a couple of bolts inside in the roof of the glovebox) you will be able to see the cable running from the USB port.

The bluetooth module is bolted to the dash but to see it it's easier to lie in the footwell and look back toward the back of the car. Or since you already have the USB, follow the cable :D

Does handsfree calling work in your car? If it's not a lose cable, could be a duff bluetooth module. Was your car factory fitted with Bluetooth or was it retro-fitted?

I retrofitted USB to my car using the genuine Ford parts and the USB stick slots into the USB port quite snug, it certainly doesn't fell like it's going to fall out.

Thanks Mark

Think I've found the culprit - there is a sliver of metal inside the USB port that's preventing a proper connection. It must have come loose at some point. Not sure I can do much with that apart from replacing the port (if I can).

You can check the usb port by using a cheapy standard mini usb to std usb socket lead, you do not need the ford oem lead.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here. It is a standard USB port; how would using a mini USB help?

The USB port in the bluetooth module is a mini port, so as a check on your existing lead/socket temp change it for a cheap usb lead as suggested.

I retrofitted USB in mine and didn't want to pay for the expensive ford USB port so just used a 99p mini USB to regular usb lead which I plugged into the module then fed through one of the existing holes in the back of the glove box. In the 14 months it has been fitted I've probably only taken the USB stick out 3 times to put more music on so I wouldn't bother spending much on it.

Coolio. I'll look at getting into the glove box and trying a mini-usb.

Thanks