Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Mpg 1.6 Tdci

james125

Hello all

I don't think I am getting fantastic MPG from my Fusion 1.6 TDCI 90PS EURO4 (no DPF). I get around 47 MPG in total (75% motorway 25% town) At a 70mph cruise I get an average of 44 MPG. I'm assuming that these figures are high judging from Honest John figures. Has anyone got any numbers for comparison?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fusion-2002/16-tdci (Current average is 59.4 MPG)

I have no warning lights, the car has had regular Ford services (though I've only just bought it no paperwork apart from dealer stamps) The tyres are up to the correct pressure, maybe even 2psi more. I don't think the brakes are binding it seems to coast quite nicely. The car has done 68,000 miles. It has enough oil though it is the usual diesel black. Oh and fuel is standard Shell diesel.

What should I check first? I was thinking;

Check air filter

Pressure check charged air circuit

OBD check

Turbo check

Thanks

Change the fuel filter if not changed recently & check out the EGRV as it could be getting clogged up @ 68,000 & consider a Terraclean

Have a look at the air filter too

• Like 1

Thanks MONDEO TXS 2.2

Looks like the last service was 18 months & 7k ago. It seems that it was done on some blokes driveway. Though all over services are Ford dealer. Considering this I'm just going to give it a full service myself;

Fuel filter

oil & oil filter
Air filter

Inspection & EGR clean

I'll let you know if I see any improvements!

• Like 1

Right. Things didn't really go as planned, the oil filter was a pig to get out of the housing! On the plus side the EGR was relatively clean. I changed the fuel filter but now the car won't start. How can I prime the fuel system?

I was thinking of getting this to bleed the fuel lines;

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-service-tools/general-engine-tools/fuel-and-injection-tools/?SEAVSE055&0&t5_413

Fuel_Line.jpg

I ended up splitting the fuel connection on the left of the engine near to where the EGR line connects to the intake air. Then I just sucked on the male fuel line connection until I had a mouth of diesel. Reconnected and it ran first time. Not the nicest thing but very easy!

As for the MPG I'm now getting 47 MPG at a 70mph cruise. Which is a 7% improvement I suppose, but I'm still a bit disappointed. But air temperature has dropped from ~10oC to ~3o​C, so I suppose the actual change is a little more.

I have noticed some oil on the compressor wheel, but it could just be from the cam-cover vent?

• 4 months later...
On 21 October 2015 at 1:48 PM, james125 said:

Hello all

I don't think I am getting fantastic MPG from my Fusion 1.6 TDCI 90PS EURO4 (no DPF). I get around 47 MPG in total (75% motorway 25% town) At a 70mph cruise I get an average of 44 MPG. I'm assuming that these figures are high judging from Honest John figures. Has anyone got any numbers for comparison?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fusion-2002/16-tdci (Current average is 59.4 MPG)

I have no warning lights, the car has had regular Ford services (though I've only just bought it no paperwork apart from dealer stamps) The tyres are up to the correct pressure, maybe even 2psi more. I don't think the brakes are binding it seems to coast quite nicely. The car has done 68,000 miles. It has enough oil though it is the usual diesel black. Oh and fuel is standard Shell diesel.

What should I check first? I was thinking;

Check air filter

Pressure check charged air circuit

OBD check

Turbo check

Thanks

I have a 2008 1.6 TDCI with 61k on and I usually return about 55-58 mpg for your type of driving depending on how hard I accelerate, had the car since 2009 and annual average mpg is around 54 but then on some individual drives I've had well into the 70's and as low as 44. On a 70 mph cruise I normally get around mid 50's. Are you using Fully Synthetic 5w/30 engine oil?

Edited by TR1GG
Re-draft

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought, have you reset the MPG indicated? I do this at every fill up & therefore get a good indicator if all is well day to day. 

Seamo44

• 3 weeks later...

Mine averages 55mpg doing a brim to brim calculation but indicates 60mpg.on screen. That's a mix of town and motorway...I'm happy with that with £30 road tax its cheap motoring

1 hour ago, Boilermansab said:

Mine averages 55mpg doing a brim to brim calculation but indicates 60mpg.on screen. That's a mix of town and motorway...I'm happy with that with £30 road tax its cheap motoring

Yes, mine is the same as yours. I drive regular from Huddersfield to Great Yarmouth which is 206 miles and a good mix of motorway, A-roads & town, same numbers returned.

• Like 1