Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Angle Sensor

Micro

Hooked my car up to Forscan yesterday again to see if the sensor value is similar.

Pointing straight ahead, it gives me a value of -4°

Anyone else have similar findings?

nope, if you had the airbag out at all? the sensor is just a ring that can easily be moved if someones had the wheel off

Will forscan re calibrate the steering angle sensor ?

A quick look would appear not.

The only reason I asked is that on some country bends I will hear what I imagine being the esp "arming" (clunk), but no continuous noise or esp light.

FORscan should let you recalibrate it, it allows me to do it on the Mondeo.

• Like 1

Theres no calibration procedure according to the Forscan forum. I wonder if a reset would do it - however I don't want to screw anything else up!

DO not Remove the AIRBAG with the battery connected..........

VERY Dangerous

Jamie

Is your wheel dead straight when driving? Just wondering if tracking out could cause that.

I haven't checked mine since changing the steering wheel for a cruise one a year ago, will do next time I have the laptop out there.

Tracking seems 100% - no abnormal wear and I can let go of the steering and it will travel in a perfectly straight line.

It's not really an issue just made me wonder if it was connected with the clunky noise I hear on cornering sometimes (I'm not taking these corners ridiculously fast or anything!)

• 2 years later...

Hi.

Interesting thread this. Did you ever resolve it?

My Focus (2010) does exactly the same thing - on some country bends, I hear a click and whirr as though the ESP is readying itself.

I've got access to some equipment that shows me info on the CANBUS and there are no wheel speed discrepancies or indications that the ESP or ABS are active at the time of these events. My guess would be the yaw sensor (added after 2008, I believe) or steering wheel angle. I need to check the CAN info for the steering info, I think.

Any techs from Ford on this forum who fancies a discussion about this ?

Thanks

I put it down to the working range of the steering wheel angle sensor - probably just the accuracy of it. The click/whirr is a standard thing when turning and hitting a bump by the sounds of things. Never investigated it as system otherwise appears to work fine.

Hi micro.

With mine, is say this whirring had got steadily more frequent over the years. I had the car at 8 months old and I don't remember it doing it ever then. Now, on the same route to work, it'll do it every journey at pretty much the same places each time.

I guess I'm just expecting the abs fault light to come on at some point.

A friend of mine said that ford had modified the ESP software at some point as it was too sensitive.  I'd like to think that they'd have pushed this out at some point.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club