Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Catch Can For 1.0 L

petrus

Hello, I informed on the oil Catch Can and I see well an oil Catch can on my Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost to avoid contamination of the engine ,

but is it useful ?

Hello, I informed on the Oil Catch Can and I see well an Oil Catch can on my Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost to avoid contamination of the engine ,

but is it useful ?

You will gain nothing by putting a catch can of your car it will cause running problems as modern engines don't like the oil breather being vented to the atmosphere It will also cause you problems when the car goes for an MOT.

If you are that concerned about dirty oil being in your engine the best thing to do is change it more often.

• Haha 1

You will gain nothing by putting a catch can of your car it will cause running problems as modern engines don't like the oil breather being vented to the atmosphere It will also cause you problems when the car goes for an MOT.

If you are that concerned about dirty oil being in your engine the best thing to do is change it more often.

oil catch cans do not vent to atmosphere they actually condense the oil vapour into a liquid that catches in the bottom of the can thus reduce the oil vapour entering the air intake system. As such no effect whatsoever on mot test or any problems either in fact the opposite
  • Like 2

Oil catch cans do not vent to atmosphere they actually condense the oil vapour into a liquid that catches in the bottom of the can thus reduce the oil vapour entering the air intake system. As such no effect whatsoever on mot test or any problems either in fact the opposite

Depends on the type used actually. If you look about on line there is a lot of places selling what is a small box with a filter than vents to the atmosphere.

To put one an a road car is a waste of time its the sort of thing used on race cars and thus require more maintenance than what is already there.

Even if it vented to atmosphere it wouldn't cause any damage at all!! It would be an mot fail though and potentially/likely vent carbon monoxide into the drivers cabin but no harm to the engine or its running.

A decent catch can vents back into the air intake and saves your engine from the sludge. No matter how much you change the oil there will be sludge build up from the oil in the air intake system and that causes inefficiency and potential problems with turbos, intercooler etc etc.

There are many a thread on here about the benefits

• Like 1

A catch can is useful on a DW6TED4 diesel . . . & is a waste of time & £ on a 1.0 petrol Fiesta

• Like 2

So whats it going to fail mot on? Lol

Emissions as the engine will not idle at the correct Rpm for a start.

• Haha 1

So why won't it idle correctly with a catch can fitted?

• Like 2

Why bother mucking about with things that are more likely to cause problems than prevent any?

Regular oil and filter changes are the most important factors in extending engine life and if you are worried about oil contamination your time and money would be better spent in carrying these out more frequently.

• Like 1

I wouldnt bother myself but certain engines inc petrol ones do actually benefit from a properly fitted non venting catch can. Ive seen evidence from a non ford make.

Whether the 1,0 ecoboost is going to suffer the same way , only time will tell,

• Like 3

I would consider fitting one to any direct injection petrol engine, in view of the inlet valve carbon contamination that seems to be a potential issue with this design.

• Like 2

I would consider fitting one to any direct injection petrol engine, in view of the inlet valve carbon contamination that seems to be a potential issue with this design.

Especially with turbo varients, no fuel in inlet tracts to keep carbon build up at bay, ford in us have such issues allegedly with an engine type we dont see here.
  • Like 2

hello ,

In the hose before the turbo , (see attached photo ) there is a element (white originally ) which seems to serve as a filter for oil vapors , with the Km it becomes yellow-brown , so oil enters the admission ! over many kms , it seems obvious that the engine suffer harmful contamination, if it is at the level of the valves and the intercooler , for me oil Catch Can be very useful .

post-68754-0-95801800-1445936260_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hello :)

have you mounted , like me ,

a Mountune High flow secondary induction hose for mk7 1.0 T ecoboost ?

YES ?

then look inside , you will see the color of the oil deposit ,

I have induction hose black and yellow inside ! :cry:

worrying for the rest of the engine : valves , intercooler ...

short with an oil catch Can , it's clean . :rolleyes:

I fitted an oil catch can on my Touneo Connect 1.0 Ecoboost to keep it clean. Run over 2000km and no problems.

post-69732-0-76008500-1446371347_thumb.j

• Like 4

• 5 years later...

Anyone fitted a catch can on a fiesta 1L ecoboost?

Anyone had any problems with sludge on the inlet valves due to recirculating crankcase breather back into the induction via the PCV?

Ive been considering fitting a catch can but scratching my head to find a place to fit it in the Mk8 engine bay. Would appreciate any views, experience on this subject. Cheers.

OK so it has been a while since I posted my comments above and having read them over again I will admit my facts were not 100%. 

So why fit a catch can - It will help filter out the oil vapor before its routed back into the intake then burnt and in addition it will reduce the build up of dried up nasty oil within the intake tract (valves ) of your engine thus reducing its efficency due to flow loss. The proper way to do it is to run the breather pipe into an oilmist seperator and then back to the inlet pipework as you need the suction to draw the fumes from the cam cover through the mist seperator and back into the engine to be burnt. 

Please see pics in links for a proper mist seperator

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3uaxZ68rwHd1yZC69 Housing 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pgcoM9dw81Uc1KQN9 Element

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7KjTzUhw6aR2JbB2A Lid

The above part is actually made for the diesel truck industry as gunk build up is a big issue for them due to the many miles those types of vehicles cover.

No reason for it not to work on our tiny petrol engines as it is the same issue.

The aluminium cans that you see sold as catch cans are a waste of money as most of the time they dont have bugger all inside and worse still they vent to atmosphere which is very bad for the environment and I think is an MOT failier due to venting fumes to atmosphere. 

On 11/1/2015 at 9:50 AM, Staga said:

I fitted an oil catch can on my Touneo Connect 1.0 Ecoboost to keep it clean. Run over 2000km and no problems.

post-69732-0-76008500-1446371347_thumb.j

I actually bought one of those catch cans and they are rubbish they just vent out somewhere in the lid.

You also should know the 1.0  has two seperate breather circuits the second one goes from the cam cover to the inlet manifold and its this one that is used most of the time during light loads. When the engine inlet manifold goes under boost the one you have changed that feeds upstream of the turbo is then active. Also the fumes are drawn out under vaccum which is why the lines are always connected to the intake manifold or just before the turbo. By disconecting the side that connects to the intake makes for a much less effective system thus leaving the partly burnt gasses from blow by to lessen the life of your engine oil

I take the view that if they were any good then the car manufacturers would fit them as standard.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've recently dismantled two 1.0 cylinder heads (at approx 75k) and was shocked at how much build up there was on the Intake valves and the ports. Inlet valves/seats were pitted whereas the exhaust valves were in great condition. Also oily in the plastic intake manifold.

Have never used a catch can but would consider one now on a newer direct injection car 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club