Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mot Rule

Mordey

Found out today the government have changed the rules. If you take your car for its mot 4 weeks before its due and it fails, the preceding mot is void and you are not allowed to drive it till it passes the
mot again, the fine is up to £2500 and 6 points on your license if caught
driving it. You are allowed to drive it to a place of repair and to a
prearranged mot only. This happened on 1st of Sept, even some MOT stations are
not aware of this change. Go to gov.uk mot and check it out. ( government
have kept this very quiet )

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

• Like 2

Been like that for a while now. At least since mot's were logged on computer if your car fails then it's deemed unroadworthy and your 'old' mot is no longer valid. As it is logged on the system I would assume that a police check would obviously flag it up as mot has expired. Was told several years ago at an mot station that a mondeo on the ramps needed O2 sensors and the guy was peeved cause he couldn't drive till his 'old' mot expired as he didn't have the money to buy them!

I thought that was always the case, it's just easier to police now that's it's computerised.

As soon as the car fails an MoT the previous one is invalid even if it was a day,week or month later as its deemed unroadworthy at the time of the test.

• Like 2

Never too old to learn . Been a long time since ive failed one.

thats nothing new, its not the mot thats invalid , its the vehicle is being driven in a dangerrous condition which is valid at all time regardless of a valid mot certificate.

so basically its your responsibility to ensure your vehicle is road worthy at all times, not just at point of mot test.

ignorance is no excuse.

if anyone wants clarification i could see my neighbour who is our local vsa inspector who goes round the garages.

Interesting. My old car failed it's mot and I was allowed to drive it away as they needed to order the part and it would take a few days! Haha

I've always driven cars away to a 'place of repair' - that being my house. Once fixed and any issues deemed to be not road worthy rectified, I do usually drive them until I can get the retest done. It's always been my opinion that an mot fail is a reason for refusal of a new certificate not meaning the car must come off the road right this minute.

Mot's can be a pain in the back end. I've fixed a few cars now, one of which is the father in laws who literally only uses his car for work and for shopping so only him and the mother in law. But a while back the rear door jammed up due to a faulty motor/mechanism so obviously an mot failure. Given how the car is used it can be frustrating to know you need to fix that despite the fact it's never used to carry passengers in the back.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club