Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss Of Power, Dangerous Today!

MarkEA

Hi, Help!

I've got a 2005 Focus Diesel low mileage around 45k. A few weeks ago it started to feel like the power was down (like driving around with the handbrake on). The at one point the whilst accelerating the power just dropped off and the engine went back to idle revs, the accelerator not responding. Called the AA out and got towed back to local garage. He checked a few things few filter, etc. but couldn't replicate. Fast forward to about a week back, same issue, loss of power, back to garage, replaced a couple of sensors and fuel filter again plus service. Was running ok for a week or so. From both of these incidents, turning ignition on and off and car would rev again, run ok.

Anyway today, middle lane on M1, started to feel a bit of hesitation whilst overtaking a lorry, then the power died. I don't recommend this but had to flick the ignition on and off to get any power back to avoid an incident.

In summary:

- If engine is about to die, usually a lack of power at some point beforehand (like handbrake on)

- No warning lights come on, the revs just drop back to around idle level as is someone disconnected the accelerator pedal. The last time it did stall after a couple of seconds too.

- Reset ignition car runs OK (sometimes power still feels down)

- Difficult to replicate - my garage actually haven't seen the issue first hand and because no warning lights no error codes

Any ideas!? I feel like just dumping it with the local Ford Dealership and telling them it's a death trap!

Thanks

Mark

When was the fuel filter changed last ?

It's been changed twice now since I've had the issue. Unless there's something in the tank it keeps picking up.

Turbo actuator sticking ?

Intercooler to Turbo hose split ?

would either of those give the symptoms of absolutely zero response from the accelerator pedal - it's not just like lack of power it's total loss of power. Would have thought the garage would have looked at those, but who knows!

also like tomorrow morning it might run fine, totally intermittent!

Yes, no turbo = no power . . . & a leaking intercooler to turbo hose could cause similar issues

hmmm, still even with a duff turbo I would have thought you would get some response? I will get garage to look at the those areas if he hasn't already, but open to any ideas, especially if anyone else seen it before. Also when it drops back to idle revs, it's smooth drop off of the revs, not juddering, lumpiness

M.A.F. sensor ok ?

Air filter ok ?

the MAF sensor was checked the first time it went wrong I think and it was serviced recently too with a new air filter. Again, still doesn't really explain why it was driving fine for the past week and then suddenly same issue again. I am wondering if fuel tank got some contamination and keeps killing the fuel filter.

Possibly , and that was my first thought

Check the fuel filter for fine metal fragments as the fuel pump could be disintegrating

Have any of the garages checked or changed the throttle position sensor?

Will get them to check the fuel filter again. No changes to sensor position. Oh I forgot to mention on the second time when there was a loss in power a couple of times the engine light did come on briefly but the car still drove Ok. Parked up and then ignition on and off and all fine. That was the only time I saw it ever come on all the other times, nothing on the dash,

A good idea to get the diagnostics on the car - there could be stored codes that may point to an issue

The pedal sends the signal to the instrument cluster which then sends the signal to the ECU to control the fuelling. Either the pedal is not giving a voltage out or the instrument cluster is not sending it to the PCM. In my opinion being as its intermittent I would suspect the instrument cluster most likely. It's a common issue and it can cause all sorts of problems. That's what it sounds like to me.

Why does the TPS signal go via the HEC? Not come across that on other cars. That's just asking for trouble lol!

Just what I have read on the subject. Could be complete Tosh I guess. Lol

There are quite a few folk with HEC issues on the focus, probably as good a place to start looking as anything else.

Thanks Guys, it does seem more electrical that mechanical. I spoke to my local garage and there was no debris in the fuel filter. I have it booked into the Ford Garage on Friday as they will have more diagnostic tools. It might be some time before I can tell you the issue is fixed as last time it was at the garage it took over a week for the issue to reappear!

Just what I have read on the subject. Could be complete Tosh I guess. Lol

Lol, fair enough, I'm not doubting you, just seems no reason for it to go visa the HEC at all to me...but then again this is Ford logic we're trying to understand... :lol:

Thanks Guys, it does seem more electrical that mechanical. I spoke to my local garage and there was no debris in the fuel filter. I have it booked into the Ford Garage on Friday as they will have more diagnostic tools. It might be some time before I can tell you the issue is fixed as last time it was at the garage it took over a week for the issue to reappear!

Do you have a laptop? If so get a modified ELM cable and FORScan - it's not far off the dealer diagnostics and will be significantly cheaper! Faults get logged as well btw, you shouldn't need to wait for them to re-appear.

Hi, had the same problem with my focus 1.6 tdci and the problem was fixed so far by replacing the fuel filter. Also I replaced my weak battery the same day because of other starting problems. Hope it helps!

Was the common rail fuel pressure sensor checked (cleaned, changed)? They are also known to cause similar issues.

If you're a DIY kind of person, you could clean it yourself. It's on the end of the rail, behind the fuel filter, close to the EGR, on the back of the engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club