Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Lights And Lorries

Swiftfocus69

Now the dark nights are on us and with the clocks going back the hour last week.

Why is it if I put on my lower fog lights ( I know FOG Lights are for Fog only )for a bit of extra illumination and the local traffic officers are around I get stopped, and warned about using fog lights and run the risk of a fine, Yet I`ve seen numerous lorries lite up like a Christmas tree with lights and lights in there cabs of all colours yet nothing is said to them ?.

Fair enough I would`nt like a lorry to be just running on side lights as this could be dangerous .But some of them driving along the motorway especially on the opposite carriage way can be a distraction.

Opinions anyone ?

And I`ve already said I know your lower fog lights should only be used in fog ,but surely every bit of light helps.

Oh on that note ,Followed a car on my way to work .No Rear lights at all ,Flashed the driver 3 times no response ,Finally pulled along side it at the lights and got them to drop there window .Told them they had No rear lights and the response was .Well they are automatic and come on by themselves ?.

Well its dark and they haven`t .Oh and it was a female driver .

Glad I was going in the opposite direction

• Like 3

Ha can't believe that response, 'they are automatic'. Surely common sense prevails though. Surprised you didn't see them with their iPhone torch on, out the window lol. I personally have no complaints about the lorries, as I think they look awesome all kitted up with the lights, its when they tailgate you at 60mph I start to moan. I don't really see the point in the fog lights at the bottom as every car I've had, has had them and they're as much use as rubber lips on a woodpecker, although again down to aesthetics, they look better than a blank bit of bumper. Each to their own I suppose

• Like 1

I left her sat there looking bemused ,Well they should be on they`re automatic ?

Yeah that maybe the case, but its dark and they are not on and your basically a dark shape on the road from behind .

Automatic or not surely you have to move a switch ?

What I was getting at is I turn my " Fog lights " on to increase my light at the front and to spot dangers on the road and such and I get pulled over .Yet a lorry can be lite up like a Christmas tree with added lights around the cab and lights on inside over there bunks and yet nothing is said.

Just with a lot of councils now having switched streetlights of to save money and the risk of hidden potholes, surely more lights on is safer ?

More lights is not safer hence why it is illegal to have your fog lights on when visibility is not sufficiently reduced. Too many lights on are a distraction to other road users and rear fog lights can dazzle the car behind. For some cars there are two rear fog lights and in this case it can be harder to see brake lights.

Front Fog lights only light up the road directly in front of the car (ie under the fog) and therefore offer no advantage to driving in normal conditions- you should be looking much further ahead than this and I'd be concerned if you genuinely felt this improved your visibility! (No offence meant)

All of that is from me as a driving instructor. From me as a driver I would add that fog lights on when not required just make it look like a young driver trying to make his/her car look cooler than it actually is. I normally think -idiot boy racer- and expect poor driving and sadly 9 out of 10 times I'm proved right. (Er, again, no offence!!)

As for lorries - well I'm with you on that one!!! :)

• Like 2

No offence taken .

Not talking about rear fogs as with my ford the front and rears are on separate switches.

Std front beams project in front of the car ,just that the fogs give a much wider spread closer to the ground / front of the car good for spotting those pot holes on unlite roads .

It`s more to the point why do drivers get pulled over for using the fogs ( again I know should only be used in fog conditions ) yet lorries can apparently drive around with any number of lights on the front of there wagons and lights on inside above there bunks.

The law states fog lights are only to be used in fog or low visibility so using them when they are not needed you will get pulled simple as that really.

As for its not fair trucks have lots of lights on, it does not matter what another motorist does or has on their vehicle, your responsibility is for your vehicle to be roadworthy.

Out of all the trucks on the road few of them are lit up like Christmas's trees as you put it. Those that are are often owners drivers or same drivers all the time and or used at shows. You can have as many lights as you like on the front or rear of your vehicles as long as the colours meet the lighting regulations.

I personally have no complaints about the lorries, as I think they look awesome all kitted up with the lights, its when they tailgate you at 60mph I start to moan.

Short of overspeed on downhills how exactly can a truck that is limited by law to 90kph or 56mph tailgate you at 60mph?

Your 60mph is more like 54mph slower than a truck hence why they are stuck behind you with not enough speed to get past you.

Believe me it is infuriating when you are stick behind cars that won't go that little bit quicker with ease. When driving a truck you are trying to maintain your momentum all the time, loosing too much momentum can mean really struggling to get up a hill when fully loaded.

People who have never driven a truck have no idea what it is like to drive a truck and why truck drivers get so annoyed by car drivers in general.

Remember those trucks you all complain about delivered you car your house your clothes and everything else you own let alone the food you buy from the supermarket.

Trucks are essential motoring we can't live without.

• Like 3

Short of overspeed on downhills how exactly can a truck that is limited by law to 90kph or 56mph tailgate you at 60mph?

Your 60mph is more like 54mph slower than a truck hence why they are stuck behind you with not enough speed to get past you.

Believe me it is infuriating when you are stick behind cars that won't go that little bit quicker with ease. When driving a truck you are trying to maintain your momentum all the time, loosing too much momentum can mean really struggling to get up a hill when fully loaded.

People who have never driven a truck have no idea what it is like to drive a truck and why truck drivers get so annoyed by car drivers in general.

Remember those trucks you all complain about delivered you car your house your clothes and everything else you own let alone the food you buy from the supermarket.

Trucks are essential motoring we can't live without.

Ever seen Irish truckers??? They go like the stuff that comes out of the cows backsides that I milk. I wasn't complaining about truck drivers, the only one's I complain about are Muller Wiseman. As they never pull over and leave me with a mile long tailback when I'm driving the tractor or just never pull over in general, they also block me in at work. Also to go along with your stuck behind you thing, its infuriating when people DO NOT overtake you instead decide to sit on your backside in view of your mirror and instead of overtaking on a nice clean straight, overtake on a flipping corner.

Ever seen Irish truckers??? They go like the stuff that comes out of the cows backsides that I milk. I wasn't complaining about truck drivers, the only one's I complain about are Muller Wiseman. As they never pull over and leave me with a mile long tailback when I'm driving the tractor or just never pull over in general, they also block me in at work. Also to go along with your stuck behind you thing, its infuriating when people DO NOT overtake you instead decide to sit on your backside in view of your mirror and instead of overtaking on a nice clean straight, overtake on a flipping corner.

Yes I have seen Irish trucks but most of them are also limited these days. The only time trucks pass me at speed is when they are overspeed on hills or occasional foreigners.

I didn't say you were complaining either just giving a different view point.

Why should a truck pull over to let a tractor past? That comment confuses me.

Tractors by law have to pull over to let traffic past at certain intervals but the majority of them just plod along ignoring the tail backs behind them. Lol

Totally agree about people that won't overtake and sit on your bumper same with those upfront that won't go a few mile per hour quicker and allow me to continue my journey at 56mph lol

The addition of complaining about truck drivers was just a general observation not a comment directed at you but I also see it looks like it was lol

• Like 1

Told them they had No rear lights and the response was .Well they are automatic and come on by themselves ?.

Well its dark and they haven`t .Oh and it was a female driver .

Glad I was going in the opposite direction

I bet she thought they are automatic so no need to switch them on in any way. You still have to switch them to auto at least on Fords.

As for lorries, if you're being overtaken or tailgated by them you need to speed up a bit, unless you're drafting behind another lorry. Getting in their way by going too slow is going to cause problems when they have to spend a minute overtaking you and blocking other cars doing 70 (or more). If you want to be driving at 60 that's probably 65 on your speedo - easily confirmed by a satnav or phone app.

• Like 1

Yes I have seen Irish trucks but most of them are also limited these days. The only time trucks pass me at speed is when they are overspeed on hills or occasional foreigners.

I didn't say you were complaining either just giving a different view point.

Why should a truck pull over to let a tractor past? That comment confuses me.

Tractors by law have to pull over to let traffic past at certain intervals but the majority of them just plod along ignoring the tail backs behind them. Lol

Totally agree about people that won't overtake and sit on your bumper same with those upfront that won't go a few mile per hour quicker and allow me to continue my journey at 56mph lol

Nooo you got confused, I mean car drivers not truck drivers, truck drivers are usually quite good, they either overtake or wait until you pull in. Ahh sorry it came across like you were saying that I was complaining lol. Tractors by law pulling over is actually pish posh. There is a recommendation of no more than either 13 or 7 cars/vehicles but no set ' OH YOU HAVE TO PULL OVER AFTER 7 CARS'. Well not that I'm aware of but its been about 3-4 years since I've looked. Obviously if the blues and two's are sat behind you then you pull in sharpish lol.

I saw a police car yesterday evening with it's fog lights on but main headlights out, was meant to post this as soon as I got home because I remembered reading this topic during the day.

Was still light enough for no headlights so not bothered about that but double standards on the fogs eh???? lol

• Like 2

I must admit, I have my front and rear DRL's setup, so one way or another I have some form of lighting. As for the fogs, well you acknowledge it was wrong though I can understand, if your headlights arent putting out enough, it is something you are tempted to do, just o get that extra visibility.

On the lorries front, it peeves me, seeing them drive around with blue lights out the front of their cab! it is illegal and yet somehow they are permitted to get away with it. I am sure the lighting regulations state, no colour besides white or amber (though yellow is permitted) are to be displayed at the front of the vehicle. wen I am driving down the road and see blue lights coming the other way (certainly in the dark) I slow down and pull in as far as necessary, only to see its the top of a truck - so dang annoying!!

• Like 2

^ I definitely agree about the blue lights on lorries, and also a lot of them have dozens of very bright red LEDs around the back of the cab which is equally bad (and I assume illegal). When these suddenly come into view if can make you think that the lorry is braking until you notice it's just some over the top decorations.

• Like 1

The only lights you should have on are your headlamps, period.

Main beams when there is no other traffic around, and nothing else.

I can't tell you how much it p***** me off to see cars with their fog lamps on, they may not be aimed at oncoming traffic but they can still blind you.

• Like 2

^ Exactly, it just adds to the glare that makes it harder to see at night for anyone.

• Like 1

What cheese's me off are the cops with their xenon lights or whatever they're called, in fact anyone with them annoying things. Get them behind you or coming the opposite way and your singing manfred man. Or another example is the lad I went to school with, he is an absolute :censored: with his 'old skool' e30 BMW, slammed on ridiculous air suspension, ridiculous roof rack and ridiculous yellow lights. He has ruined a classic car and I think anyone who has yellow lights should be banned from driving, can't describe how much it irritates me and how much I hate it and him

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club