Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Electrical Issues.

simcor

Well my Focus has struck again.

Went out to find wipers going and hazards flashing randomly.

Tried disconnecting the battery for a while but things have got even stranger.

Could unlock the car but not lock it.

Then it would not turn off with the key off and out the ignition barrel. Then I pressed the brake and the engine cut out as if it had a kill switch fitted. Then it would not start at all with any of the keys.

Then I found by pressing the brake pedal while trying to start it would also start.

Whilst the key is out the instrument cluster lights up like it is on pos 2 on the key glow plug handbrake abs etc all lights on doing routine check.

Chucked it on IDS and had numerous can communication faults and cluster faults etc.

Cleared all faults and still no better, however I also have the D/S headlight out now which was not working the other day but then started working again now it's out again.

So I am thinking I have an earthing issue due to the light and all the weird goings on, when it is parked up after a while it seems the wipers and hazards start going again but pressing the brake pedal and everything stops going crazy and I can lock the car with the remote fob.

I should add I have accidentally washed my key in my jeans earlier but I don't think that would do anything as the fob was working fine and all that would be likely to happen would be the fob would pack up.

Something is !Removed! the can networks up and pressing the brake pedal stops it all so I do think it's a wiring fault.

Really had enough of this !Removed! car now. Had less problems with my unreliable MG ZTT in 6 years than I have with this car in just over a year.

Any ideas of common places to check for wiring issues?

A bit of googling brings up similar issues and points to either the GEM or engine bay fuse box getting wet oh joy.

Guess what I am doing tomorrow.

Lol guess no one wants to help me then or do you all think I know enough to not need any help???

Any thoughts comments or suggestions are welcome no matter how daft or if you think it's been covered.

Come on peeps enlighten me.

Haha burn it might be better but thanks for the thought.

Nov' 5th is close . . . . & I've got the matches . . . :P

Honestly though . . . at some point if a car gives so much trouble it's time to get rid

Yeah well I like a challenge and I can't afford to change it right now so looks like I'm stuck with it. Lol

Off the top of my head there is an earth behind the lights on the chassis of the engine which could be the issue well worth popping the headlight unit out and seeing if its all okay no melted or broken wires the gem unit can go faulty causing issues as can an incorrect or over charging battery so worth a check as you said check the fuse box is dry all fuses ok and then check the pass footwell fuse box make sure everything's clipped in etc

Well I have taken the gem out. Finally managed to take it apart to check the board inside. Looks mostly OK was a little damp in there but not wet through. Bit of manky stuff round some of the pins for fuses etc. What a pain to get that open without damaging the casing. Sprayed it liberally with contact cleaner and waiting for that to evaporate. Leave it to dry out a bit then refit it and see what happens.

Is battery good had batteries that were on their way out but not dead totally mess up electronics weird stuff warning lights etc

battery is not that old and most of the gremlins seem to have stopped since drying and cleaning the GEM inside, all except for my alarm now goes off and the remote locking does not work. Think I am missing one connector but can't see it anywhere god knows I am sure I took another connector out of the GEM on the top side.

Think my flip key is probably knackered after it's little wash in the washing machine, when I try to reprogram the remote that one just makes the horn sound once but still won't lock or unlock the car. With the spare key the car locks and unlocks fine, and so far no alarm going off or any other strange goings on, so it does look like it was water in the GEM albeit only a small amount of dampness mostly.

• Like 1

Well after taking the GEM apart and giving it a liberal spray of contact cleaner and a light brush with a paintbrush, then used a hair dryer to help evaporate any moisture left, put it all back together and it now seems fine, the alarm going off and beep of the horn when trying to use my flip key seems t be from it being washed yesterday, taking the battery off that key seems to have solved that.

Old key working fine and nothing untoward happening currently, will monitor it but I think we are resolved.

• Like 1

A little water can go a long way in the wrong place.

Glad you're on top of the problem now.

A little water can go a long way in the wrong place.

Glad you're on top of the problem now.

Yup it wasn't even that wet in there to be honest, a few drips of water came out of one end and the board had a light costing of moisture on it rather than an ocean which I was expecting to find.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club